Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407728 times)

cindyj

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #540 on: August 02, 2008, 12:30:28 pm »
Just finished the book...ohhhh...ohhhh...

Talk to you on the 16th, I guess,

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #541 on: August 02, 2008, 05:39:55 pm »
Hi Cindy - it was hard to put down, wasn't it?  Really a great read! 

I'm now reading a relatively new Grisham book called "Playing for Pizza  It's a light read, but lots of fun and detailed descriptions of the food that Parma is know for, which makes my mouth water... :)

Buona notte!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #542 on: August 02, 2008, 10:36:13 pm »
I wonder if ?I can pay for books with my HSA and call it therapy ?  :)

I could only find hardback and due to issues involving insurance can't justify spending $18 for it at
Walmart...had to give them $86 as it was for paper ,pencils ,Clorox wipes ,Kleenex ,paper towels ,
folders , dry erase markers and Lord only know what else for the kids to start school Monday ... our
library doesn't have it and being small town won't get it for several months if at all ... they don't
even have Kite Runner  >:( ...

gonna do some on line looking around and check with teachers Monday
to see if anyone has it ... we pass around books and mostly have simular tastes ... and the little varied
differences means we get a taste of books we normally wouldn't pick up ourselves
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #543 on: August 03, 2008, 08:12:43 am »
I purchased it on Amazon and it was priced reasonably.

Good luck.

Mary  8)
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #544 on: August 03, 2008, 08:23:49 am »
gonna do some on line looking around and check with teachers Monday
to see if anyone has it ...

Soundy--Good idea to check around at school. We do that too!

Hi Cindy - it was hard to put down, wasn't it?  Really a great read! 

Debbi-I am still near the beginning of the book but as you start reading it, you want to keep reading.  I must admit, the entire beginning of the book has been dramatic and tragic.  I find myself thinking how truly different it is across the pond..
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 08:41:38 am by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #545 on: August 03, 2008, 08:24:54 am »
Soundy -

if you can't find someone to borrow a copy from, please let me know.  I might know someone who would be willing to lend hers and I could mail it to you.

BTW, Kite Runner is an excellent book and it is in paperback now.

Debbi & Cindy - done already?  I'm going to wait a while to start it as I'm reading another Harlan Coben book  :)

BTW, is discussion on the 14th or the 16th?  Want to make sure I read the book by then.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #546 on: August 03, 2008, 08:31:22 am »

BTW, is discussion on the 14th or the 16th?  Want to make sure I read the book by then.

16th...it is the full moon  :) It also gives you two more days to finish the Coben book :)

Be prepared as this book is hard to digest being a female who has lived her life in a "free" country. I am only 70 pages into the book and there have been events that made me truly sad and mad.  It portrays the cultural differences in attitude between our culture and in Afghanistan.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 08:39:55 am by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

cindyj

« Reply #547 on: August 03, 2008, 08:48:15 am »
You're right, Kate, it definitely brings out strong emotions.

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #548 on: August 03, 2008, 08:51:31 am »
Thanks for clarifying the date for me, Kate.  Guess I just have to start being conscious of that full moon and I'll remember just fine  ;)

The book sounds like it will bring a lot of discussion when the time comes.  I'm looking forward to reading it.

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #549 on: August 03, 2008, 09:36:09 am »
Cindy--Yes, it does evoke strong emotion. There is not much we can do... I guess it is the acknowledgement of the cultural divide.

There is plenty of time for others to begin reading A Thousand Splendid Suns should they decide that they want to "join" our online book club. 
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #550 on: August 03, 2008, 12:19:50 pm »
Debbi,

I'm reading Playing for Pizza also.  I love the description of the food.....I can literally taste it!  What an oaf Rick is in the beginning.  I'd love to see the opera.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

sgerrard

« Reply #551 on: August 03, 2008, 01:56:48 pm »
Current suggested reading list:

1. Black Wave, John and Jean Silverwood (Dana).
2. Just One Look, Harlan Coben (Jan).
3. Tailspin, Catherine Coulter (Kaybo).
4. The Shack, William P.Young (Kaybo/Soundy)
5. First Person Plural, Dr. Cameron West (Debbi)
6. Playing for Pizza, John Grisham (Debbi/Yardtick)

If we picked another one before the 16th, we could start overlapping, and always have one to read, and one to talk about. And become literary giants in the process. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #552 on: August 03, 2008, 02:18:54 pm »
Debbi,

I'd love to see the opera.

Anne Marie

Anne Marie,
Not having read the book, I don't know if you are referencing a specific opera.  This year I attended my first:La Bohème at the Lyric in Chicago.  (sis has season tickets).  I was amazed by it. Also they have those telemprompters that run across the stage so that you get the dialogue.  The actions and tone of the music speak volumes.  As an audience member, I kept one eye on the words and the other on the stage:-)

If we picked another one before the 16th, we could start overlapping, and always have one to read, and one to talk about. And become literary giants in the process. :)

Steve

Not a bad idea...If time is not an issue for others, it could work.

Because this is an "internet" club, we could try discussing it as we work through each book and make the time frame shorter... It would change the reading and it could make it more thought provoking because of the way others challenge my thinking through their opinions.

I also find that when we discuss the book at large, some important parts of the plot are overlooked.

Kate
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 07:35:12 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #553 on: August 03, 2008, 03:59:51 pm »
Hi all,

I would like to add this book. It is so unique! I have never read a story like this before. I picked it up because I was captivated by the bright red cover with a cut out of an upside down poodle. The page behind the cover is black - and one of my dogs is a black standard poodle. STUPID reason to buy a book, I know, but such is the decision processes of an artist. Luckily, I really enjoyed it!

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Hadden
he story is written in the first-person narrative of Christopher John Francis Boone, a 15-year-old autistic boy living in Swindon, Wiltshire. Although Christopher's condition within the autism spectrum is not stated explicitly within the novel, the summary on the book's inside cover describes it as Asperger syndrome. However, his personality traits suggest similarities to high-functioning autism.
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #554 on: August 03, 2008, 04:54:18 pm »
Mary -

I read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time a few years ago.  I don't recall much about it, but I do clearly remember I liked it alot.
It's a wonderful book.

Jan