Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407596 times)

sgerrard

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #465 on: July 08, 2008, 07:56:15 pm »
I've only seen SITC a few times, and not the movie, which is probably more R. It seemed like an ordinary soap opera to me, with a little more sauce thrown in here and there.

I guess my comment was meant to say that the plot so far seems along the same lines. I'm not finding the story all that engaging, though I like the knitting part. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #466 on: July 08, 2008, 09:00:40 pm »
The movie is fantastic!!!!  I loved Dante hubba, hubba ::) 

Hey ladies what about the shoe closet Mr Big built for Carrie.....I can only wish! 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #467 on: July 08, 2008, 10:57:26 pm »
I'm not finding the story all that engaging, though I like the knitting part. :)

Steve -

I don't want to dissuade anyone from reading the book since I know there are those who have just started, and it's a good book in it's own right, but as I said earlier, I found The Thirteenth Tale to be much more to my liking.  Sounds like maybe we're both on the same path  ;)  I'll elaborate more once discussion starts.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #468 on: July 09, 2008, 01:12:11 pm »
I have to say I had a hard time getting into the Knitting one.  But once I did, I couldn't put it down.  So for those of you struggling to get through the beginning, keep going - it'll be worth it!  I stilll can't knit though.   :(

Jan, I think the last movie I saw in a theater....hmmmmm...let's see.....without cartoon characters.......Maybe Pirates of the Caribbean?  I REALLY don't get out much - but if getting out involves Johhny Depp - then I can make a real effort!   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #469 on: July 09, 2008, 02:16:45 pm »
I just passed the Knitting book on to my friend with the instructions, "It is a little hard to get into but stick with it because it gets a LOT better!"  I totally agree with you Lori...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #470 on: July 09, 2008, 05:03:05 pm »
Lori -

last movie I saw in the theater was Blades of Glory with Will Ferrell.  The one before that was Talladega Nights (Will Ferrell also).

But I'm with you, Johnny is definitely worth watching  ;)

Glad I wasn't the only one who found The Knitting book hard to get into.  I found the story picked up as I went along, but I also found it a little too much like other books I've read in the past.

Jan

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #471 on: July 09, 2008, 05:53:47 pm »
I also have found Knitting hard to get into, but will stick w/ it since some of you say it gets better...

Haven't seen Sex in City...HAVE seen Johnny Depp...love Captain Jack - I have been very, very tempted to get a poster of him to put in my basement ::)

I'm off to read...
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #472 on: July 09, 2008, 11:21:19 pm »
My niece has a few posters of Johnny in her bedroom - VERY nice  ;)

I'm also told that he was here in Chicago very recently filming a gangster movie - maybe about Dillinger? - and he was spotted at a local bar  8)

Someone I work with ran into him there and said he's an incredibly nice guy.   Wish I would have run into him  ;D

Jan

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #473 on: July 10, 2008, 11:10:50 am »
Knitting was hard to get into but was good once I did

We went to see Kung Foo Panda a couple weeks ago... I leaned on my husband and went to sleep... but
the kids said it was good ...

I watched all the Pirate movies about a month ago during a sleepless week and not in a mood for a book...
Christmas is suppose to bring a big TV in the living room ... I plan on watching them again on the bigger
screen... bigger can be better  :o and the 20 inch little TV in the living room doesn't do the movies any justice ...
swiped it from the girls when our old 30 inch console went to TV heaven

My 27 year old sister has Johny posters galore and a pirates skull ring with ruby eyes ....she had my girls
convinced that she was engaged to a pirate and was going to live on a ship robbing people ... she had them
saying they were plundering for ill gotten booty til I made her knock it off...just didn't sound right coming
from then 6 and 8 year olds
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

sgerrard

« Reply #474 on: July 13, 2008, 07:15:06 pm »
Better bump this up. Discussion starts tomorrow, with the first topic coming from Jan. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #475 on: July 14, 2008, 07:32:15 am »
I will skip most of the discussion since I only got 100 pages into it so far.

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #476 on: July 14, 2008, 08:52:10 pm »
Gee, Steve, didn't realize I was starting the discussion.  Just tuned in after a few days off.  Still in NJ - wasn't able to connect with Lori unfortunately - headed to NYC tomorrow.  Haven't had computer access until about an hour ago and might not again until tomorrow night or so.  Therefore, I'll start discussion a few hours early.

Did anyone "see" the end of the book coming?  I guess what I mean is, I was reading along and at some point I figured I knew exactly where the author was going with Georgia's life, but I was wrong.

Did anyone else think Georgia's life would turn out the way it did?

Jan

shygirl

« Reply #477 on: July 15, 2008, 12:39:57 am »
I didn't "see" it coming, either. But when it did, I actually hollered out "NOoooooo".  I did know something would be "wrong" with her because of the conversation with the Dr's office when Georgia was making an appt for Anita. I just didn't think it would be that bad. A very REAL novel. From chapter 10 on, couldn't put it down!!
2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07
BAHA 2/08--processor 3/08
chronic headache sufferer

Kaybo

« Reply #478 on: July 15, 2008, 06:41:23 am »
I, too, knew something would be "wrong" when she made Anita's appointment- I really thought that she would turn out to be pregnant!!  Even when it turned out she was so sick, I thought that she would kick it because she had been so tough through out the whole book.  I couldn't believe the ending - I think I groaned out loud too!  I was just bawling!!  Jan, when you said you had 3 chepters left-wasn't that it?  Did you know??

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #479 on: July 15, 2008, 02:07:45 pm »
Finally finished the book a few minutes ago!  I knew something bad was going to happen because of the comparison on the cover to Steel Magnolias, but I kept thinking it would be Dakota, not Georgia.
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings