Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407636 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #315 on: May 26, 2008, 02:10:56 pm »
Soundy -

once you're done with Friday Night Knitting Club, please tell us how you like it.

I have a number of books I can't wait to read and am not sure which one to go with after Thirteenth Tale.  If Friday Night Knitting Club is good, maybe I'll read it next.

Thanks,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #316 on: May 27, 2008, 05:21:30 pm »
I am like Friday Night Knitting Club...

I went to used book store in Huntsville today and picked up the Secret Lives of Bees and Mermaid Chair...
both by same author... anyone know about these... they had been recommended by a friend and at $1.25 a
piece figured I would give them a shot... also picked up Kite Runner for $2... I would be in trouble if I lived
closer to Huntsville...I would go to the used  bookstore too much ...  :-\
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

MaryBKAriz

• Weldon (my ROCK!) and me
« Reply #317 on: May 27, 2008, 05:58:25 pm »
I LOVE Secret Life of Bees, one of my very favorites......my recommendation is to read that one first. The Mermaid Chair was readable but not as engaging to me. The first is with younger characters the other with 30 something...which has nothing to do with the interest, but the reason I like Bees first.

Enjoy!

Mary
Diagnosed March 24, 2008, 1.1cm, right side, "Goldie" - small but mighty!! :-(
Hearing, lottsa balance problems and a few facial twitches before CK
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".
Apr 2012 - Still glad I chose CK

sgerrard

« Reply #318 on: May 27, 2008, 07:59:56 pm »
I am liking the idea of this topic becoming a "good books to read" topic, with everyone's opinions on various books. I liked Secret Lives of Bees a lot, too bad that Mermaid Chair isn't as good. I also found Kite Runner to well worth reading. I would like to find out whether Friday Night Knitting Club is good.

I better get cracking on the Thirteenth Tale, especially if I have to come up with one of those probing questions...

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #319 on: May 27, 2008, 08:08:01 pm »
Hi,

That is just my opinion of Mermaid Chair. Some may like as well if not more, and yes, I think Kite runner is very good, too.

Mary
CK June 2, 2008, BNI in PHX, Drs Daspit/Kresl, side effects,steroids helped. Getting "sea legs".

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #320 on: May 27, 2008, 10:39:56 pm »
Soundy -

I have read both Secret Life of Bees and Mermaid Chair - as have several of my friends and family members.  We all agree that Bees is much better than Mermaid.  Not that Mermaid is bad or anything - it's just not as good as Bees.

Kite Runner IMO is excellent. 

I think you'll enjoy all these books - and the prices are incredible!

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #321 on: May 27, 2008, 11:19:28 pm »
I LOVE Secret Life of Bees, one of my very favorites..
Enjoy!

Mary

Me Too!
Also enjoyed Kite Runner.
Like others, most books have merit.

Off to buy the 13th tale.

Wondering how far along Steve is with those caps :-)

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #322 on: May 28, 2008, 06:21:12 am »

Wondering how far along Steve is with those caps :-)

Steve doesn't mention the caps much.  I think he's hoping that all of us with "AN memory" will just forget about them  ;)

I'm on page 75 of Thirteenth Tale and finding it very enjoyable.

Jan

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #323 on: May 28, 2008, 10:18:09 am »
I loved Secret Life of Bees, but thought Mermaid was weak in comparison.  Also loved Kite Runner - getting ready to read his latest (somethign about a Thousand Veils?"  Has anyone read it?

BTW, Soundy, I see you are in Huntsville - my beloved BIL and SIL live there, along with our niece and her new baby!  Small world.

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #324 on: May 28, 2008, 04:11:17 pm »
I am actually up in Tennessee north of Athens...north west of Huntsville... went shopping at Sam's for
Day Camp snacks and dropped by other places... including the book store...  :) ...

I liked Friday Night Knitting club but won't comment on it yet in case it becomes one up for reading and
discussion... one insomniac night this next week I will start Thirteenth Tale... with Day Camp from 8-3
each day and VBs from 6-8:30 every night  I may actually sleep through the nights next week ... start reading
 it on the 9th
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #325 on: May 30, 2008, 11:39:13 am »
Hope to get a little reading done today.  I'm only on page 80 - have been falling alseep the past few nights when I attempted to read more.

Kids have no school so I took off work and the plan was to camp at the Indiana State Dunes for the next 2 nights.  However, the weather here currently stinks - rain and high winds - and it's the same at the dunes  :( 

So, in lieu of sleeping in puddles in our "waterproof" tent, we are spending the night at home and will venture to the dunes early tomorrow morning.  They are predicting sun and warm temps - plus no high winds to blow the tent away  :D  Hope they are right!

Jan

shygirl

« Reply #326 on: May 31, 2008, 12:11:20 am »
Hi all,

May I jump in on this club you've got going? I love to read. Fiction--nonfiction. It's all good to me!!!

I see you all are reading "Thirteenth Tale". Who is the author? I would go back and find out, but I've been doing tons of reading on this forum. Alittle tired, I guess. Ya'll are a great group and so supportive. I'm glad I found you!!! It only took 9 months ::)

Thanks,

shygirl
2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07
BAHA 2/08--processor 3/08
chronic headache sufferer

MaryBKAriz

« Reply #327 on: May 31, 2008, 06:16:58 am »
Welcome Shygirl! :)

I am so glad you found this forum. It has made such a difference for me.

We are reading Thirteenth Tale is written by Diane Setterfield. I think we are to read it by te 13th. I just joined during the last book and it is informal fun group here.
Reading is such a great way to escape for awhile into another world. It is a mini vacation to me.

Take care,

Mary

Kaybo

« Reply #328 on: May 31, 2008, 07:40:29 am »
Shygirl~
Glad you are joining us!  We are VERY easygoing here and just usually read & discuss a little and maybe talk about other things that the discussion triggers in our happy, little brains!!  We are supposed to have the 13th Tale read by the 13th but I will be taking my daughter to camp then so I will join late...so what I am saying is you don't get graded on whether you are finished at the exact time or not!

Happy Reading!   ;)
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #329 on: May 31, 2008, 11:05:42 am »
Hi Shygirl,

Welcome to the forum and the bookclub!  I've just "joined" the bookclub myself and have just started the Thirteenth Tale...I just got into the meat of it last night and I'm hooked!

Talk w/ you soon,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings