Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407757 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #1140 on: October 01, 2009, 09:32:39 pm »
Oh, WOW, that picture tells much!!  ..... and Joebloggs, you are beautiful!

I couldn't have said it any better myself  ;D

Joe - you should read the potato book.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

moe

« Reply #1141 on: October 01, 2009, 10:59:39 pm »
I think she photo shopped it!
Jus kidn, looks incredible :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

cindyj

« Reply #1142 on: October 02, 2009, 08:32:09 am »
Wait, is JB actually in the photo?  I don't see her on my computer...just the gorgeous cliffs???

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #1143 on: October 02, 2009, 09:08:40 am »
I agree with Clarice!!!  JB you are so full of life. 

I'm wondering if anyone has heard from OMG 16 who started this thread.

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

joebloggs

« Reply #1144 on: October 02, 2009, 12:02:34 pm »
I'm definitely in the picture Cindy!  I don't know where I disappeared off to on your computer!  I think I do need to read the potato book, sounds like a winner!  While I'm here can I just tell everyone I just ate an enormous pile of swedish meatballs on mashed potato with a creamy gravy?  So full but so satisfied!  mmm.  Cheerio!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1145 on: October 02, 2009, 12:06:21 pm »
Symposium 2013 in Guernsey.

Sara
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 01:44:20 pm by saralynn143 »
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #1146 on: October 02, 2009, 12:33:14 pm »
I'm wondering if anyone has heard from OMG 16 who started this thread.

She has logged on recently although not posted recently.... I miss her "kisses to my forehead"  :'(
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Kaybo

« Reply #1147 on: October 02, 2009, 01:34:53 pm »
I call her &/or email occasionally - not often enough.  I was just thinking about her the other day and wondering how they were doing.

JB~ GREAT pic - you are such a cutie and you are so funny to mention your food!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #1148 on: October 02, 2009, 02:14:15 pm »
JB

Thanks for the striking photo of the cliffs at Guernsey.  You look marvelous, too.  ;)  Your bonhomie, indomitable spirit and healthy sense of adventure remind me of the character Julie Christie played in the 1963 British film "Billy Liar'.  Her character was free-spirited, peripatetic and adventurous - but probably never had an acoustic neuroma, so you're one up on her. Odd, but all this chat about Guernsey makes me want a glass of milk.  :D

Jim 

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1149 on: October 02, 2009, 09:02:11 pm »
JB

Your bonhomie, indomitable spirit and healthy sense of adventure remind me of the character Julie Christie played in the 1963 British film "Billy Liar'.  Her character was free-spirited, peripatetic and adventurous

JB -

Jim called me peripatetic once - and if memory serves me, I think it's a good thing  ;)

I'm with Saralynn 2013 in Guernsey.  Gas up the moderator's jet, Dr. Phyl  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1150 on: October 08, 2009, 06:48:21 pm »
Ready for a cooking lesson?

Potato Peel Pie

Beat 2 egg whites until soft peaks form.

Fold in 2 cups grated and well drained potato peel(about 3 large potatoes). Add 1 teaspoon of dill weed.

Press into greased pie plate leaving a deep impression in the middle. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes.

Meanwhile boil the potatoes and one or two carrots or beets until soft in a small amount (1 cup or less) of salted water.
Mash well without draining, adding 3 tablespoons sour cream and more dill and garlic if you have it.
Mound in baked pie shell. 

Bake an additional 10 minutes. Top with a small handful of grated cheese. May be served hot or cold.

We had potato peel pie for dinner tonight along with a pork loin stew. It was really quite tasty. I followed the recipe as closely as I could, although I used canned beets since I couldn't find any fresh ones at the grocery store. I was not sure exactly how to come up with grated potato peels, so instead of peeling the potatoes, I grated the skin directly into a colander, left them to drain and patted them dry with a paper towel. I confess that I used an electric mixer to beat the egg whites and to mash the potatoes and beets. I added chives because I like sour cream and chives on my potatoes. The grated potato peel crust looks gross when dished up, and I used a wee bit too much garlic, but all of us liked it. I would even take it to a potluck.

So there you have it, an authentic potato peel pie. And now I have a picture, complete with new hat, to post whenever someone has a virtual birthday party.

Life is good!
Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1151 on: October 08, 2009, 08:01:41 pm »
Oh Sara, you are so ambitious!  What a good-looking dish, making a very tasty looking dish ...... complete with beautiful pictures.  Thanks so much for the careful instructions ...... definitely a "must try" recipe.

Clarice

P.S.  The hat is a nice touch.   :-*  :-*
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1152 on: October 08, 2009, 09:18:25 pm »
Wow!  Not only a recipe, but visuals too.  I'm impressed  ;D  My idea of baking is buying a box of brownie mix from the grocery store  ::)

Interesting to hear that the pie actually tasted good - I didn't expect that at all.

So now we have read two books that have inspired two forumites.  Steve and his knit hats and Sara with her potato peel pie.  Wonder what the next inspiration will be?

Can the next book be about how to win millions?  I'll volunteer to be the inspired one  ;)  :D

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1153 on: October 09, 2009, 06:11:08 am »
I was surprised that potato peel pie tasted good as well, although I did pick the recipe that sounded most promising.

Here is the recipe from the author's web site:

Potato Peel Pie Recipe

Here’s a recipe for a potato peel pie, but I warn you, it tastes like paste. The more authentic it is, the nastier.
These ingredients will make a very small pie (expand at will):
  1 potato

1 beet

1 Tablespoon milk

Peel the potato and put the peelings in a pie pan. Don’t cook the peels, because you’re in the middle of an Occupation and you don’t have any fuel. Boil the potato and the beet together in salty water, but not for very long, due to the fuel problem. Just until you can stick a fork in the potato. Take them out and mash them up with the milk. Pour the glop in the pie pan. Bake at 375 for as short a time as is consonant with digestion (fuel again), say, fifteen minutes.

The finished product will look quite attractive and pink. If you squint, you can almost imagine raspberries. Don’t be fooled. It looks a lot better than it is. However, if you forgot that you were in the middle of WWII and added a bunch of butter and milk and salt, it could be quite tasty.

There is a lengthy discussion at http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=288655 including one participant's adaptation that involved filo dough, vanilla pudding and strawberry jello powder. Interesting and I'm sure relatively tasty, but not exactly in the spirit of potato peel pie. There are other recipes that sound good, but include ingredients or cooking techniques that would not have been readily available in occupied Guernsey.

The recipe that I used was from a book discussion group at http://www.bookmovement.com/app/readingguide/view.php?readingGuideID=7336 - wanted to be sure to get the proper credit to that group.

And Jan, I thought that you had already gotten your book club inspiration from TTTW - isn't that why you kept dropping stark naked into various locations in Chicago?

Sara

left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1154 on: October 09, 2009, 11:13:50 pm »
And Jan, I thought that you had already gotten your book club inspiration from TTTW - isn't that why you kept dropping stark naked into various locations in Chicago?

I don't think that was me  ??? unless I happened to be sleep walking. 

What is TTTW? 

Jan