Author Topic: ANA Book Club?  (Read 407736 times)

Kaybo

Re: ANA Book Club?
« Reply #870 on: April 27, 2009, 06:39:54 am »
I wasn't aware of that either - it made me realize how ignorant I am in yet another subject.  I almost felt ashamed - I knew horrible things happened, but i just buried my head in the sand over that part of history! :-\
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #871 on: April 27, 2009, 09:53:19 am »
I loved the book and it made me realize that there are times and places in people's lives that make it impossible for them to "move on." The Holocaust was one of those times.  I was not aware of this event in France's history and was a little appalled by the apathy of some of the French citizens. Sarah was very fortunate to run into a couple of sympathetic people. Then again, I have done enough reading on the subject to realize that many ordinary citizens had no real knowledge of what Hitler was doing in that regard, even German citizens.

There's a good book about Italy's response to Hitler's round-up of Jews that kind of balances things out, although it doesn't necessarily have a really happy ending.  It is called A Thread of Grace.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #872 on: April 27, 2009, 08:02:53 pm »
France's highest court just recognized the deportation this past winter.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7893127.stm

Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

tenai98

« Reply #873 on: April 28, 2009, 11:58:28 am »
ok i wanna join this club...someone plz let me know the next book
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

cindyj

« Reply #874 on: April 28, 2009, 01:17:34 pm »
Hey, Jo!  So glad you're going to join us...we'll, hopefully, pick a new book before too long...is there anyone still reading Sarah's Key?  Any further comments/questions about the book?

Kate, thanks for the link for the article - very interesting....
Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #875 on: April 28, 2009, 01:22:12 pm »
I never knew about it either, and I mentioned it to my husband who knows a LOT about military history and he didn't either.

I have often wondered how I would have reacted in situations such as the holocaust. I like to think that I would have been brave and tried to stop something so wrong, but realistically I think that I would have been too worried about the safety of my own family to take that chance. I might have taken in a child such as Sarah, but to speak out against the government . . . probably not. It pains me to admit it, but there it is.

I did not think that the grandma was going to turn out to be Sarah because of the awful memories of the apartment. But I also knew that Sarah was not going to be alive for Julia to find. Also that Julia was going to have a girl and name it Sarah. Many parts of the novel were predictable, but there were enough surprises, plus the fact that I could not believe the events had actually occurred, to keep me reading.

I don't know exactly how to describe how I feel about this book. I can't say I enjoyed it, although I am glad to have read it. I appreciate learning about history in an engaging manner.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #876 on: April 28, 2009, 04:06:25 pm »
Thanks for the link, Kate.

Kay, don't feel ignorant.  I don't think this was something very many of us - if anyone at all - learned in school.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JudyT

« Reply #877 on: May 29, 2009, 11:47:06 am »
Hi "book clubbers" I just finished a good book about the adversities a young woman faced throughout her life and how her wisdom and tenacity and passion driven course held her up. Set in the early 1900's, A Good Woman by Danielle Steel.......I call this "junk reading" as I am prone to deep subject matters and educationally informative books. Most of her work does not appeal to me however I happened upon this book and opted to read it.....very worthwhile.......at least for me a much needed rest for my brain. I truly enjoyed this read.
Judy

cindyj

« Reply #878 on: May 29, 2009, 01:56:02 pm »
Hi, Judy!  Thanks so much for the recommendation - always looking for good ones to read.  She's not an author I would normally pick up to read, so I appreciate your input about it.  I'm in between books, so I just might try to get that one!

For you lovers of The Outlander series, I just finished a series that rates up there with that one.  The first one is The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons.  This series was recommended to me by Tisha from here on the forum.  It's set in Russia during WWII, so it's certainly not the same setting as Outlander, but the richness of the story and the strength of the characters make it such a good read....Thanks, again, Tisha, for letting me know about them!

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #879 on: May 29, 2009, 10:33:47 pm »
Did anyone see that My Sister's Keeper has been made into a movie?  It should be released soon.

I think Cameron Diaz plays the role of the mother, but I can't recall the rest of the cast.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #880 on: May 29, 2009, 10:53:18 pm »
Did anyone see that My Sister's Keeper has been made into a movie?  It should be released soon.

I think Cameron Diaz plays the role of the mother, but I can't recall the rest of the cast.

Jan

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1078588/
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

cindyj

« Reply #881 on: June 18, 2009, 11:36:50 am »
Just finished My Sister's Keeper last night...still crying...

Cindy
feeling great!

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #882 on: June 18, 2009, 11:47:22 am »
Just thinking about that book makes me cry.  I read it about 2 years ago and passed it around the office.  I really do not want to see the movie.  It will be hatchet job.  I do not think the movie will pull at your heart strings like the book.  Jodi is an amazing author, I have read several of her books.

Sniffling with you Cindy,
Anne Marie  :'(
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

tenai98

« Reply #883 on: June 19, 2009, 07:19:31 am »
I just picked up MY sister's keeper...now going to dive into it...
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

cindyj

« Reply #884 on: June 19, 2009, 07:59:04 am »
Let us know what you think about it, Jo! 

Are all of her books sad?    I know she usually writes about topics with some controversy...

I agree with you, Anne Marie, the movie will not be able to do the book justice.  The way she tells the story from so many different perspectives will be very tough, if not impossible to portray on screen.  Still, I'll probably watch it eventually.

Have a great weekend everyone - very hot here in GA!

Cindy
feeling great!