Author Topic: newly diagnosed with 2mm on L, what are odds of developing one on R  (Read 4850 times)

jerseygirl

Re: newly diagnosed with 2mm on L, what are odds of developing one on R
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 08:16:07 am »
Bronco,

Everything except for translab surgical removal offers a possibility (unfortunately not a guarantee) of hearing preservation. Among surgical removals are middle fossa and retrosigmoid approaches. There is endoscopic retromastoid approach by Dr. Jho. They also advertise hearing preservation. There is also radiation, so don't discount that. At the end, you have to choose what feels right for you, not somebody else. Here are some links where you can get a free consultation:

www.hei.org  - known for their middle fossa and restrosigmoid approaches. I spoke to Dr.Friedman. I know somebody who had Drs. Friedman and Scwartz as a team and their hearing has been saved.

http://drjho.com/acoustic_neuroma_surgery.htm -Dr. Jho's website; he or his assistants  can provide the consultation and numbers on hearing preservation. They can also provide references.

I never really got a consult from any major radiation centers (GK in Pittsburgh and CK in California) but maybe somebody can chime in here. I visited radiation centers locally and decided early on that radiation is not for me.

The bottom line is research, research and research. It will pay off at the end. This is a wonderful website, full of information and support. Please, keep us informed as you go along and good luck!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.