Author Topic: House Brackmann Scale???  (Read 7519 times)

amymeri

Re: House Brackmann Scale???
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 10:41:45 am »
Hi David

I didn't mean to sound like I was negating your want/need for a recovery outlook or prediction that is realistic...I guess I am just coming from experience, knowing that they can provide recovery scales but whether or not they have any actual relevance to your case is a bit of a crapshoot. 

So, for instance, everything I read and learned said that if you wake up with full function (which I did) the chances you will regain full function again (even if paralysis sets in later) are excellent, whereas if you wake up with no function your chances are not as good.  Now in my discussions with people here I have heard of people all over the spectrum and most people didn't fit into that neat category.  Many people with no function got good healing, I had fulll function and did everything "right" and have limited healing....

I was told MANY times that I would be recovered in 6-12 weeks...now 20 months later, no one is predicting anymore.  So, those initial predictions got my through my despair after a week when my face was really bad...but turned out to be useless in my case.

I hate not knowing....but I think I would hate even more, knowing that things were hopeless.

Amy
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

LADavid

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 04:19:41 pm »
Hey Nancyann
I've been going down memory lane and reading posts from previous years.  I noticed at one time you did started a recovery survey -- time, size, procedure, complications (stretched v cut).  There were a few responses but it seemed to drift off.  Since I'm at home with nothing but writing to do and I'm hitting writer's block, I may tackle this issue again.  It seems that most active members on the board are still in some phase of recovery.  But there are plenty of members who posted at one time, recovered, quit writing but their name was listed on some of the posts going back a year or so ago.  Maybe if I got in touch with them, they'd be willing to share their recovery details.  From that -- with enough input, I could develop some sort of bell curve that new members could take a look at when they joined on.  I haven't been able to find anything like that -- maybe there might be some interest.  So what do you veterns think -- is it something of interest?
Have a great Sunday -- it's raining and cold here in SoCal.  And for you NASCAR fans, it doesn't look like it's going to improve any time soon.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2008, 06:06:19 pm »
Hi David:  I think it would be interesting to know of those AN patients who had paralysis post op, when did they 1st notice signs of nerve recovery,
& where are they in recovery now, how long post op.
I don't know how many people would respond who have left the site - some may or may not want to be reminded .....
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

LADavid

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 06:59:17 pm »
Nancyann
I may give it a try anyway.  It's a game of numbers.  The more who respond, the more viable the results.  It may be helpful for newcomers as they join the discussion to get a look at reality.
Thanks.  Have a great week.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Leftie

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 01:58:13 pm »
I had my surgery 5 years ago by Dr Brackmann at St. Viecents.  I was a 5 on the scale and now five years later and a new voice on the forum I am a 2.  I did a year of facial animation exercises with the help of Todd Henkelmann at the University of Pitt.  I live in the Philly area and it was a 5 hour drive each way once a month.  Last Monday I got a Transear.  I was very pleased with all the doctors and staff and treatment at the House Clinic.  It took about a year for all the paperwork for payment to get straightened out.  So, even after 5 years I am still looking ahead!  Sharon
2.5cm acoustic neuroma removed using middle fossa approach June 2002 by Dr. Brackmann at the House Clinic in LA.
Facial paralysis resolved to facial weakness.
Also have a benign meningioma (calcified) - no treatment required, just follow-up scans.
Received Transear Feb. 25, 2008.

pattibobatti

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2008, 03:36:10 pm »
Hi Amy,

I get botox injections every 3 months for the muscles that won't settle down .  The doctor injects into my neck muscle. It is covered by insurance.  It takes about a week to see the results.  I am hoping this helps you too.

Patti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'