Author Topic: Driving Eval Questions  (Read 9395 times)

Don

Re: Driving Eval Questions
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 12:01:38 pm »
 Dan mine was a little more basic and the doctor had me set on the edge of the examination table and push her hands with my feet and held my hands in the steering wheel position to move them? I felt like a toddler playing at driving a car she started laughing when I started going BRRRRR! I suppose its a good idea as there are those who would try if not able but I felt I could drive and do so nobody here to tell me different due to vision and hearing loss I will never drive anywhere here but my island as the top speed is one stretch of straight road is 45 mph, I did not have to do this till I renewed my license? The brain is a tricky thing and my one friend who also survived a brain aneurysm will never drive again as he suffers seizures, me I was blessed and have had none my other Australian friend who also survived a bleed drives no problem She still works in fact we are all different and to lump us into one catagory is criminal

Don

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 12:17:14 pm »
LOL jeWell41, yeah I bet Free Willy is the last person you want to met on the tube at night? This is why I used to love traveling so much and talking with people all over not only language but accents are fun for example my wife is from the Philippines and many of her countrymen say SBC for its busy? One of my Filipino friends and I were in the ocean fishing in a boat and he kept muttering about the "Wheel"? I was trying to visualize a wheel on a boat and it turned out he was worried about one of the Humpback "Whales" that our in our coastal waters every winter to calve, its fun to laugh at ourselves and if I was PC or a victim I wouldnt have had so much fun the 6 years I lived in Japan where one can make a dogs breakfast out of a language in a hurry lucky thing they are not PC yet? 

OMG16

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 11:20:32 pm »
Steve he loves computer and since he was in a Pediatric Hospital the first thing the ST and PT had him doing was playing computer games.  The video games are harder since you really need both right and left side and he has very minimal left hand movement.  We have had computers since they were first available to the public.  When my son was in 3rd grade the subsitutes would go to him for help.  My little computer guru.  He would like to do some sort of graphic design, but since that requires higher education thats pretty much out for now.  I know if someone took him under their wing and was patient with him he would acheive greatness.  I see it with what I teach him.  So we just need the right connections and I am hoping DVR can help.  However we were told last week that he falls between the cracks in the system.  The counselor explained that with a teenager with no work experience and disabilities as severe as his that all we can do it try.  She really wants to help him but they haven't got a clue how.  So I guess in my spare time I will try to figure this out.  I know with my help he can live a tremendous life and support himself with our special needs trust we are setting up for him.  It is my goal to make sure he can take care of himself when we are gone.  He has made such progress and just needs a bit of a break.  His stamina is not that great but I think with the right job he can work up to full time.  He certainly can't live on SSDI at $424 dollars a month.  I was also thinking back and when the Dr referred us in November for this appt neither one of us thought he would do this well.  He is gaining abilities everyday again and we are thrilled.

My son really need some sort of social life which we have not found.  He is very high functioning as far as most of the social groups go and we can not find a group of young adults with his abilities.  I was told that they continue on with their lives in isolation.  Well that will not happen here.  I've told him that we will continue to figure this out together.  While he was in the hospital we were told by the counselors and his Dr that most parents do not give a 100% and that their children suffer and do not progress as well.  We took all the information they had and asked for more.  We had to relearn how to parent  a child with severe disabilities and it has been very hard but is paying off ten fold.  However I think my husband and I need to take a trip to Palm Springs alone and recharge our batteries.  I can not wait for sunshine and warm weather.

Don we were thinking the same thing.  We have property that we take our 5th wheel to in the spring and were going to get a golf cart and start practicing.  I'm afraid for the squirels though.

Jewel I am so sorry I did not know.  I will remove that from my fav words list.  ??? 16
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 11:33:06 pm by OMG16 »
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Tamara

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 10:59:04 am »
To anyone recovering from a brain injury (as opposed to a "simple" AN surgery):

Some of you who have read previous posts know that I have a disabled daughter.  Due to a metabolic defect, she is disabled both mentally and physically.  We do a program with her designed by the National Association of Child Development.  Don't let the name fool you - they work with any level of cognitive or physical brain injury at any level on anyone.  I have a specific program of activities that I do with her to get her sensory systems better integrated.  I do believe that it would be helpful to look into for anyone with brain or vestibular problems.  My daughter took her first steps at age 3 - something I do not think she would otherwise have achieved.

Just my 2 cents' worth - check out www.nacd.org if you think this might be useful to you.  PM me if you would like to chat more about it or have questions.

Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

OMG16

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 07:39:42 pm »
Tamara your 2 cents are worth a million.  Thank you for posting this info.  This could be the ticket for my son.   :) 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

sgerrard

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 01:59:16 am »
OMG16,

I saw in another post that you said that your son is not sure what he is going to do with his life. I just want to point out that neither does my 19 year old nephew, who finished high school last year. He has since moved to California where his older sister is going to college, and found a job wiping tables at a coffee shop. As far as I can tell, he spends the rest of his time riding a bike, shooting hoops, playing an electric piano, and playing John Madden Football or Tiger Woods Golf on Play Station. I suspect he does some instant messaging as well.

In fact most of us take quite a while to settle into an adult life. I don't think I really figured out what I was I going to do until about the age of 35. These days, being 19 and unsure about your future is par for the course, and nothing to worry about.

I wonder if there is a class at a YMCA, or a community college, or a park district, where he could get out and about a little. It doesn't need to be academic or job training, just something to do where he could interact with new people a little. I'm sure that is not easy for him, but in the right environment, it might go pretty well, and it would liven things up a little. Some kind of art class, for instance, or yoga, or something like that.

Steve

8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

OMG16

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 03:41:34 am »
Steve you make perfect sense and I did not know at 19 either.  He and all of his friends have known what they wanted to do very early in high school and have all worked towards that goal.  They all went to college and high school at the same time and all are right on schedule with their plans.  So with this being the case he is a little to hard on himself as he tries to figure out what he wants to do now...... That he is capable of.  Those darn over achieving high school students anyways.  LOL  The worst thing about all of this is he knows what he could do before and just can not acheive at that level now.  I have told him that it may take him longer to get it to stick so to speak, but he is doing better everyday.  I really believe that he can do great things with time.  Now we need to get his self esteem up.  He is so afraid to fail.  He went back to school to soon after his stroke and could not keep up no matter how hard he tried.  It was heart breaking for us as parents to watch.  He was singled out 2 days into his return and some of the kids were making fun of him and calling him retarded and then they asked him what his problem was and he told them he has a brain tumor and a stroke and just what was their excuse.  It hurt him deeply and I'm sure that is where his fears are coming from.

We have tried all sorts of activities and he has now taught himself how to bowl.  So he is getting out and doing that now.  He has informed us that thinking of the spring, summer and fall keeps him going in the winter.  We camp and travel during those seasons and he is very excited to start hiking and he wants to learn to wake board this year.  So we will take him out in the boat  and hopefully we can make it happen for him.  We have taken him rafting down the Yakima river each Labor day since his stroke it is very slow moving and only about 3-5 feet deep so he has fun doing that.  He is very good at ping pong now and has tournaments when his friends are home from college.  He is just stuck at home when the weather is bad in the winter and it has been quite a winter this year.  Last winter he fell and broke his left hand and ended up with a twisted intestinal thing that was very painful.  So his Dr suggested that he not go out when the weather could cause him to fall or be blown over.  The Y does have some classes that we are checking into and he is also going to start his volunteer work in the rehab recreational dept soon.  That will be good for him and the stroke and brain injury folks he will be helping since one thing he does have is a positive attitude with a great smile everyday.  He will be an inspiration to all who meet him since he should have not made it through his ordeal let alone walk.  He has worked so darned hard.  I admire him for that.  I can honestly say I may have given up if I had been in that position.

Thank you for all of your help and comments.  We listen to all advice and are so grateful for you info.  16

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 11:36:39 am »
Steve you make perfect sense and I did not know at 19 either.  He and all of his friends have known what they wanted to do very early in high school and have all worked towards that goal.  They all went to college and high school at the same time and all are right on schedule with their plans.   16

even the best laid plans can change .. I can think of serval people including my wife.. that graduated from school  but are not doing what they went to school for !  :o  and me .. jeezz.. at 19 I should of been at AA .. but I did have a interest in computers, (just not school!) .. lived at home till my late 20's .. (and I paid a small rent thu most of that time, and when I did leave .. my mother saved all that money and gave it back to me, as they were just tring to give me some resonsibly not take my money)  in those early (and fun years) .. I was never sure of what to do, but I always was working hard (at one time I had 3 jobs going) ... In the long run that hard work did pay off...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

lori67

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 12:15:50 pm »
16 - you should get your son one of those Wii video games.  They are starting to use them a lot in rehabs now because they actually make you use your whole body to play it - you don't just sit there on the couch.  You have to coordinate your eyes, hands, legs, brain.. all at once. 

I've never liked seeing a kid (or adult) being a couch potato for hours at a time playing video games, but this one is actually like exercise.  I have a PT friend who just got one and she says it's the best exercise she's gotten in a while - and she's very physically fit to begin with.  She works at a rehab facility and wants to try to get the PT department to buy one so she can use it with her neuro patients.  Actually, I think she just wants to be able to play it while she's at work...   ;)

Some of the stores in our area have one set up that you can try out - you should see if you can go check one out for him and see if you think it might help. 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

OMG16

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 01:27:52 pm »
Joef thank you I will share your post with him.  I to am not doing what I trained for I switched careers at about 34 and wouldn't change anything.  I just have to get through to him about all of this.  You know actually thinking about it he is showing normal teenage behavior!  That is something to celebrate since this has not been the case since his stroke.  Thanks guys as Oprah would say I just had an Ah Ha moment.  All of you are so good for me so keep telling me the way it is and I will finally get it.  It just sometime may be slow going.

Lori when he had his driving eval the OT said that they are recommending it to their stroke and brain injury patients.  Kaybo also recommended it while I was down after my surgery.  So we just started trying to track one down in our area on Wed. of this week.  No one has any in stock until next week and then they said they couldn't say for sure they would actually come in.  So if you know of anywhere we can get one online maybe we would be very grateful.  You should tell your friend to go to work at a childrens hospital as they are already using those sorts of things.  I must say that I am excited to get it to.  You are never to old to play!

I just Love you guys......Thanks you from the bottom of my heart.  :-* 16

Kaybo

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 02:07:54 pm »
OMG~
We got ours from GameStop (online) as my SIL had already gotten theirs and I knew I could trust them!  We actually got a "bundle" and it was so easy!  We play all the time.  In fact, my mom (69) and my uncle who is in town from NY (68) is coming over tonight b/c my kids want to play with them!!  My MIL got my FIL (73) one for Christmas!!   ;D  Never to old...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!