Author Topic: Surgery next week  (Read 4140 times)

Alchemist

• Recovering one day at a time!
Surgery next week
« on: February 19, 2008, 08:30:18 pm »
I know that I have not been active, but I have been actively lurking. I posted when I was diagnosed and confused, but had to "step away" for a while...this is overwhelming! However, in the meantime, my surgery has been scheduled for 2/28. Although it is a relief, I am still anxious for fear of the unknown - the outcome, so to speak. I do have full confidence in my surgical team, Drs. Mattox and Olson of Emory. It will be translab, as the neuroma as over one inch. I have to let y'all know that I appreciate the wealth of information that you provide...down to what to take to the hospital! Sweet!!  :) I'll continue to check in over the next few days.

Ronnye
Translab @ EUH, Atlanta, GA 2.28.08
Drs. J. Olson & Mattox
Facial numbness left side; SSD
Radiation therapy followed surgery. Hospitalized for CSF leak 4.04.08 thru 4.11.08.
Long hard struggle back. Did I have to have this surgery?

Kaybo

Re: Surgery next week
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 08:41:38 pm »
Ronnye~
Good Luck - you will certainly be in our thoughts and prayers!

<3  <3  <3  <3  <3  <3  <3  <3  <3

(if you let your eyes blur a little, they look like hearts!)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 10:32:09 pm »
Ronnye -

good luck on your upcoming surgery.  I think someone else had surgery recently at Emory - maybe Annette   :-\  I'm not sure.

Having confidence in your surgical team is definitely an asset - I know it personally helped me a lot both pre and post op.

Let us know when you're a postie and remember we are here to support you any way we can.

Keeping you in my prayers,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 11:04:00 am »
Ronnye - good luck to you on the 28th.  We'll all be thinking about you and anxiously awaiting word that you're home and doing well!

Sometimes the decision making before hand can be the worst.  I've heard good things about your doctors, so I'm sure you're in good hands.

Remember to take some time to yourself before the surgery and do something nice for yourself.  It might help you relax.

Good luck!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

AROBTEK

• Annette (arobtek)
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 03:59:25 pm »
Hi Ronnye,
It was definitely me that recently had translab surgery at Emory.  I am now a (almost) 4 weeks postie!  Yeah!!  Your outlook/expectations will take you a long way.  You can do it, you have a good surgery team and they do lots of these.  Let me know if I can help or answer questions.

Good luck and God Bless,
Annette
2.6 cm AN L side
Diagnosed 12/10/07
Surgery date: 1/24/08
Dr. Doug Mattox & Dr. Jeff Olson
Emory University Hosp. - Atlanta

Alchemist

• Recovering one day at a time!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 10:58:26 pm »
Thank you for the responses and kind wishes. It has been a busy week, which is a good thing. I know that at this time next week, I'll be in la-la land.  ;D
Translab @ EUH, Atlanta, GA 2.28.08
Drs. J. Olson & Mattox
Facial numbness left side; SSD
Radiation therapy followed surgery. Hospitalized for CSF leak 4.04.08 thru 4.11.08.
Long hard struggle back. Did I have to have this surgery?

Don

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 06:31:49 pm »
 Hi Ronnye well Id like to think that Im an old hand at this and should be by now as many spooky surgeries as I have had and I suppose it depends on the hospital the part that scares me most is just being put to sleep? The last surgery I had they allowed my friend to be bedside as I went under and we said a prayer together so it was nice and not as spooky as being alone. Just try to think of other things its a necessary evil and we all should try no matter what the only reason I still allow em to fool with me is that I hope that they all learn something from it so some young kid does not have to go through the hell I have been through the past 8 years, keep going back till they get it right and thats why these groups are great you dont get the generic sugar coated version here, real facts for real people warts and all just like life, I have already been warned about language and race issues? But in my 21 years of Naval Service traveling as far as Africa I have had no issues and refuse to gloss over the facts as I know them if it offends skip my post but if you want the truth check it out, at one time I had over 150 people of both sexes and all races working for me and was ranked the #1 CPO in my command cause the folks new I was not trying to put anyone down but just stating the facts when your faced with decisions facts aid in the process smoke and mirrors does nothing.