Author Topic: Trigeminal neuralgia (TN) type II  (Read 23406 times)

Rc Moser

Trigeminal neuralgia (TN) type II
« on: February 15, 2008, 08:25:49 pm »
I wonder how many of us suffer from some  condition during, after, or An tumor removals.  This IMO could explain some of symptoms I or we may be experiencing. I for one cannot enore the pain that I feel sometimes thats related to this condition known as Tic douloureux,  prosoaplagia, or atypical trigeminal neuralgia. For others that have these unsual pains it may be worth reading up of some the TN symptoms.

trigeminal (5th crainal nerve) is the major sensory and motor nerve of the face, jaw, teeth, around the eyes and forhead. I suspect this is where most of our problems occur IMO with the type of pain I suffer from when comparing them to the TN symptoms. I agree I don't have total pain as described, but I suffer from alot of the same conditions.  Might be interesting reading for some who suffer from migraines and severe head pain.

Trigeminal neuralgia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Trigeminal neuralgia
Classification & external resources

Detailed view of trigeminal nerve, shown in yellow.
ICD-10 G50.0
ICD-9 350.1
DiseasesDB 13363
eMedicine emerg/617 
MeSH D014277
Trigeminal neuralgia (TN), or Tic Douloureux, ( also known as prosopalgia ) is a neuropathic disorder of the trigeminal nerve that causes episodes of intense pain in the eyes, lips, nose, scalp, forehead, and jaw.[1] Trigeminal neuralgia is considered by many to be among the most painful of conditions and is often labeled the "suicide disease" because of the significant numbers of people taking their own lives when they cannot find effective treatments. An estimated 1 in 15,000 people suffers from trigeminal neuralgia, although numbers may be significantly higher due to frequent misdiagnosis. It usually develops after the age of 40, although there have been cases with patients being as young as three years of age [2].

Contents [hide]
1 Pathophysiology
2 Symptoms
3 Treatment
3.1 Medications
3.2 Surgery
3.3 Stereotactic Radiation Therapy
3.4 Other
4 References
5 External links

[edit] Pathophysiology
The pain of trigeminal neuralgia is often falsely attributed to a pathology of dental origin. "Rarely do patients come to the surgeon without having had removed many, and not infrequently all, teeth on the affected side or both sides." [3] Extractions do not help for the pain is originating in the trigeminal nerve and not in an individual nerve of a tooth. Because of this difficulty, many patients may go untreated for long periods of time before a correct diagnosis is made. The trigeminal nerve is the fifth cranial nerve, a mixed cranial nerve responsible for sensory data such as tactition (pressure), thermoception (temperature), and nociception (pain) originating from the face above the jawline; it is also responsible for the motor function of the muscles of mastication, the muscles involved in chewing but not facial expression. Several theories exist to explain the possible causes of this pain syndrome. The leading explanation is that a blood vessel is likely to be compressing the trigeminal nerve near its connection with the pons. The superior cerebellar artery is the most-cited culprit. Such a compression can injure the nerve's protective myelin sheath and cause erratic and hyperactive functioning of the nerve. This can lead to pain attacks at the slightest stimulation of any area served by the nerve as well as hinder the nerve's ability to shut off the pain signals after the stimulation ends. This type of injury also may be caused by an aneurysm (an outpouching of a blood vessel); by a tumor; by an arachnoid cyst in the cerebellopontine angle[4], or by a traumatic event such as a car accident or even a tongue piercing. [1] Two to four percent of patients with TN, usually younger, have evidence of multiple sclerosis, which may damage either the trigeminal nerve or other related parts of the brain. When there is no structural cause, the syndrome is called idiopathic. Postherpetic Neuralgia, which occurs after shingles, may cause similar symptoms if the trigeminal nerve is affected.

[edit] Symptoms
The episodes of pain occur paroxysmally, or suddenly. To describe the pain sensation, patients describe a trigger area on the face, so sensitive that touching or even air currents can trigger an episode of pain. It affects lifestyle as it can be triggered by common activities in a patient's daily life, such as toothbrushing. Breezes, whether cold or warm, wintry weather or even light touching such as a kiss can set off an attack. The attacks are said to feel like stabbing electric shocks or shooting pain that becomes intractable. Individual attacks affect one side of the face at a time, last several seconds or longer, and repeats up to hundreds of times throughout the day. The pain also tends to occur in cycles with complete remissions lasting months or even years. 3-5% of cases are bilateral, or occurring on both sides. This normally indicates problems with both trigeminal nerves since one serves strictly the left side of the face and the other serves the right side. Pain attacks typically worsen in frequency or severity over time. A great deal of patients develop the pain in one branch, then over years the pain will travel through the other nerve branches.

Signs of this can be seen in males who may deliberately miss an area of their face when shaving, in order to avoid triggering an episode. Although trigeminal neuralgia is not fatal, successive recurrences may be incapacitating, and the fear of provoking an attack may make sufferers reluctant to engage in normal activities.

There is a variant of trigeminal neuralgia called "atypical trigeminal neuralgia". In some cases of atypical trigeminal neuralgia, the sufferer experiences a severe, relentless underlying pain similar to a migraine in addition to the stabbing pains. This variant is sometimes called "trigeminal neuralgia, type 2"[2], based on a recent classification of facial pain[5]. In other cases, the pain is stabbing and intense, but may feel like burning or prickling, rather than a shock. Sometimes, the pain is a combination of shock-like sensations, migraine-like pain, and burning or prickling pain. It can also feel as if a boring piercing pain is unrelenting.

[edit] Treatment
There is no cure for trigeminal neuralgia, but most people find relief from medication, from one of the five surgical options or sometimes from one of the many so-called "complementary or alternative" therapies. Atypical trigeminal neuralgia, which involves a more constant and burning pain, is more difficult to treat, both with medications and surgery. Surgery may result in varying degrees of numbness to the patient and lead occasionally to "anesthesia dolorosa," which is numbness with intense pain. However, many people do find dramatic relief with minimal side effects from the various surgeries that are now available.[6]

There are some things that a patient can do to minimize the frequency and intensity of TN attacks:

Apply ice packs or any readily available source of cold to the area of pain. Cold often numbs the area and will reduce the pain.[citation needed]
Get adequate rest in normal rest cycles.
Manage your stress well and keep stress levels low. When you feel a TN attack coming on, try to relax immediately.
Practice healthy living principles such as diet and exercise.

[edit] Medications
Anticonvulsants such as carbamazepine, oxcarbazepine, topiramate, phenytoin, or gabapentin are generally the most effective medications. Pain relievers usually do not help. Anticonvulsant effects may be potentiated with an adjuvant such as baclofen or clonazepam. Baclofen may also help some patients eat more normally if jaw movement tends to aggravate the symptoms.
If anticonvulsants don't help and surgical options have failed or are ruled out, the pain may be treated long-term with an opioid such as methadone.
Low doses of some antidepressants can be effective in treating neuropathic pain.
Botox can be injected into the nerve by a physician, and has been found helpful using the "migraine" pattern adapted to the patient's special needs.
Many patients cannot tolerate medications for years, and an alternate treatment is to take a drug such as gabapentin and place it in an externally applied cream base by a pharmacist who compounds drugs. Also helpful is taking a "drug holiday" when remissions occur and rotating medications if one becomes ineffective.

[edit] Surgery
Surgery may be recommended, either to relieve the pressure on the nerve or to selectively damage it in such a way as to disrupt pain signals from getting through to the brain. In trained hands, surgical success rates have been reported at better than 90 percent.

Of the five surgical options, the microvascular decompression is the only one aimed at fixing the presumed cause of the pain. In this procedure, the surgeon enters the skull through a 25mm (one-inch) hole behind the ear. The nerve is then explored for an offending blood vessel, and when one is found, the vessel and nerve are separated or "decompressed" with a small pad. When successful, MVD procedures can give permanent pain relief with little to no facial numbness.

Three other procedures use needles or catheters that enter through the face into the opening where the nerve first splits into its three divisions. Excellent success rates using a cost effective percutaneous surgical procedure known as balloon compression have been reported[7]. This technique has been helpful in treating the elderly for whom surgery may not be an option due to coexisting health conditions. Balloon compression is also the best choice for patients who have ophthalmic nerve pain or have experienced recurrent pain after microvascular decompression.

Similar success rates have been reported with glycerol injections and radiofrequency rhizotomies. Glycerol injections involve injecting an alcohol-like substance into the cavern that bathes the nerve near its junction. This liquid is corrosive to the nerve fibers and can mildly injure the nerve enough to hinder the errant pain signals. In a radiofrequency rhizotomy, the surgeon uses an electrode to heat the selected division or divisions of the nerve. Done well, this procedure can target the exact regions of the errant pain triggers and disable them with minimal numbness.

[edit] Stereotactic Radiation Therapy
The nerve can also be damaged to prevent pain signal transmission using Gamma Knife or a linear accelerator-based radiation therapy (e.g. Novalis, Cyberknife). No incisions are involved in this procedure. It uses radiation to bombard the nerve root, this time targeting the selective damage at the same point where vessel compressions are often found. This option is used especially for those people who are medically unfit for a long general anaesthetic, or who are taking medications for prevention of blood clotting (e.g., warfarin). A prospective Phase I trial performed at Marseille, France, showed that 83% of patients were pain-free at 12 months, with 58% pain-free and off all medications. Side effects were mild, with 6% experiencing mild tingling and 4% experiencing mild numbness.[8]

[edit] Other
In one case of trigeminal neuralgia associated with tongue-piercing, the condition resolved after the jewelry was removed.[9]

[edit] References
^ Bayer DB, Stenger TG (1979). "Trigeminal neuralgia: an overview". Oral Surg. Oral Med. Oral Pathol. 48 (5): 393-9. PMID 226915.​
^ Bloom, R. Emily Garland: A young girl's painful problem took more than a year to diagnose (PDF).
^ Dandy, Sir Walter (1987). The Brain, Special edition, The Classics of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Birmingham: Gryphon editions, 179. 
^ Babu R, Murali R. "Arachnoid cyst of the cerebellopontine angle manifesting as contralateral trigeminal neuralgia: case report", Neurosurgery 1991 Jun;28(6):886-7. (PMID 2067614)
^ Burchiel KJ. "A new classification for facial pain", Neurosurgery 2003 Nov;53(5):1164-6; discussion 1166-7. (PMID 14580284)
^ Weigel, G; Casey, K. (2004). "Striking Back: The Trigeminal Neuralgia and Face Pain Handbook". Trigeminal Neuralgia Association ISBN 0-9672393-2-X.​
^ Natarajan, M (2000). "Percutaneous trigeminal ganglion balloon compression: experience in 40 patients". Neurology (Neurological Society of India) 48 (4): 330-2. PMID 11146595.​
^ Régis J, Metellus P, Hayashi M, Roussel P, Donnet A, Bille-Turc F (2006). "Prospective controlled trial of gamma knife surgery for essential trigeminal neuralgia". J. Neurosurg. 104 (6): 913–24. PMID 16776335.​
^ Gazzeri, R; Mercuri, S. & Galarza M. (2006). "Atypical trigeminal neuralgia associated with tongue piercing". JAMA 296 (15): 1840-1. PMID 17047213.​

[edit] External links
Trigeminal Neuralgia Association
About surgery for trigeminal neuralgia
Your Complete Guide to Trigeminal Neuralgia
Trigeminal Neuralgia Treatment
MedlinePlus Overview trigeminalneuralgia

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigeminal_neuralgia"

This page was last modified on 20 February 2008, at 22:44. All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License. (See Copyrights for details.)
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a U.S. registered 501(c)(3) tax-deductible nonprofit charity.
Privacy policy About Wikipedia Disclaime
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 08:44:24 pm by Rc Moser »
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

Karen

Re: Trigeminal neuralgia (TN) type II
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 07:47:18 pm »
My trigeminal nerve was damaged due to the AN.  The doctor's said the tumor came off of it easy and I should get my feeling back.  But it never came back.  I think  that could be alot of my facial uncomfortableness  that I have all the time.  Has anyone got any ideas for that.  If I could get it to feel better it would make me feel normal again.  It seems like that is all I think about how bad my face feels.  I have tried Lyrica and neurotin with no luck.  any input?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

OMG16

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 08:09:00 pm »
RC do you have any links that you can post.  I would be very interested in reading this.  Thanks 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Rc Moser

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 08:30:53 pm »
I just googled it, didn't save any one site. There was quite a few. You can also Wilkipedia http://en.wikipedia.org it also for a quick overview and click on the different links they provide.  I still have alot of reading to do, just thought it was scary how alot of the symptoms I experience still. I can across it reading up on brain tumors at www.medicinenet.com/brain_tumor/page9.htm
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

Rc Moser

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 08:06:19 pm »
Such a compression can injure the nerve's protective "myelin sheath"  and cause erratic and hyperactive functioning of the nerve.

I wonder how many of use suffer from this?

marystro

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 12:57:23 pm »
I had Cyberknife treatment for my AN 20 months ago.  I had 3 episodes of trigeminal nerve pain each lasting about a few seconds on and off probably 5 - 10 attacks within 1 week - 1st time before CK, 2nd time about 10 months post CK and the 3rd time just this last week.  Although recent MRI shows the tumor has been reduced slightly in size, I am very suspicious that the tumor is causing the TN compression by either the tumor itself or blood vessel.  My PCP does not think it is caused by the AN but I found lots of references that tumor could cause TN problems.  Does anyone have similar symptoms?

I am hoping (fingers crossed) that as the tumor reduces in size further, this pain will go away (or not  :(). 

I have sent an email to my Stanford CK team and seeing my PCP locally tomorrow.
Mary
July 2006 - 22 x 18 x 20 mm
August 2006 - CK at Stanford by Dr. Chang/Dr. Soltys
February 2008 - 19 x 15 x 20 mm and stable
May 2009 - 17 x 14 x 18 mm

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 02:52:39 pm »
*runs in, gives marystro a MASSIVE wellness huggle*  :-*  :-*  :-*

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Dealy

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 06:04:06 am »
Mary- I have had severe TN ever since completion of my 25 sessions of FSR radiation overr a year and a half ago. Started out a week after I got back controlled by a short dose of Steroids. Then it came back with a vengeance last fall so bad I could not talk or eat-I also had too miss work for two weeks. I know why know they call this the Suicide disease or whatever. I have never been in so much pain in my life. Finally controlled by taking Gabetine (AKA Neurontin) I am up too 600 MG daily which is actually a small dose. I still have very short spurts. I see a Neuro for it in my local town. Do not let anyone kid you-it is caused by radiation and damage too the Trigeminieal nerve inside your head which extends from the back of the Brain Stem and wraps around too each side of the face. I found out that 2 t00 3% of people get this after Radiation- wasn't I the lucky one. Hope this helps. Ron

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 11:09:51 am »
I am so sorry to hear that you are dealing with this type of pain. I hope with all the research in pain management that you will get some relief. If you look on U Tube and search for Trigeminal Neuralgia, there is a video of someone that got relief from TN pain with a nerve stimulator. Also, Botox injections have been used to help with muscle tightness as a reaction to nerve impulses with TN. Keep up the battle because you are going to get different opinions from doctors. One of them out there is going to be right. It took me 4 years to find a fix to occipital neuralgia. It took a lot of research, going down the wrong path, gut feeling, stubborness, trying treatments but always looking for a cure.

Best Wishes, Janet

Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

ceeceek

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 06:15:52 pm »
Great topic.....
Tri gem ,,,fun fun NOT!
I have had symptoms..similar to what was mentioned in the first part of the article...had a bunch of teeth needlessly removed..only to find out later it is due to my lovely little tumor pressing upon the nerves.
To date, I have tried a variety of options,  and am certainly looking into Janets experience with the occipital nerve surgery..but hesistant to be cut upon in any manner..at least while I am tolerable...so
What do I do?
 SO far, acupuncture has been a huge help. I typically get over two months relief with virtually no symptoms and if I followed through more often, did a complete regement, I would probably get rid of it all together although the acupuncturist will not guarantee such result....especially since my tumor is still there,,and still presses on nerve.
But that being said,,it has helped to a huge extent and I highly recommend it.
Still working on the optical issues...and need to go again,,just too lazy..lol :P ;D
Ceeceek
Such is life...Finally identified...vidian nerve schwanomma, 2.8x2.8x3cm.....in the middle but under my brain.....post transphenoidal endoscopic surgery April 19th, 2007 Pre CK treatment in Sept 07.....re-arranged cavity in hopes of reducing side effects and now officially diagnosed as hard headed.

marystro

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 08:41:54 pm »
I am surprised to see a few of us with this issue caused by AN.  Wow!  I am not alone out there.  (BTW, I also started a new thread under Post-Treatment to summarize my experience).

My PCP was not sure if AN can reach that high to the trigeminal nerve in general.  I pointed out that the base of the TN could be quite close to the tumor.  Since I had TN issues prior to CK, I would rule out radiation as the root cause.  Mine has calmed down quite a bit the last few days.  Still some tiny shooters once a while, sometimes when I move my facial muscle certain ways, sometimes it just happens ???.  But definitely subsided quite a bit unlike last Thursday!  Boy, that was so painful!!  But as I am writing this, a couple smaller shooter shot up half way up my nose... Yikes! Are there any ways to avoid them?!

I am trying to avoid medication.  With the side effects I am hearing, I am not sure if I ever want to go to that route.  But I am so pain avert...  :-\

Mary

marystro

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 10:46:36 pm »
Still having those stabbing shooters on and off.  It's been over 2 weeks and still not quite subsiding all together yet.  I am wondering if the compression of the tumor on the trigeminal nerve is the culprit?

When it happens, it affects my normal activities.  But then it is not everyday.  I am still trying to tolerate it.  I am wondering if I should ask for Neurontin as it was recommended by my neuro nurse if i need it.

Ron (Dealy) - do you have any side effects with the medication?  it sounds like you don't get those big stabbing pain any more with neurontin.  I understand it is anti-seizure medication and if you are on it you can only come off it by tapering off...

I'd probably need to make my decision soon if this continues...

Mary
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 11:25:27 pm by marystro »
Mary

Dealy

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 05:57:16 am »
Mary- Johns Hopkins tried too increase gradually last fall my intake of Neurontin-don't ask me why but the more I took the worse it got-makes no sense- all I could tolerate was 400 MG-so they kept me at that. Well since I live in the Midwest- Kansas too be specific they decided I should see a local Neuro. We kept it at 400 MG until this spring when it started again. So we increased too 600 MG daily. The only side effect at this time is weight gain. I will have another blood test in April because I understand it can damage your kidneys so have frequent blood tests. This was told too me by my local PCP. I like you was reluctant too get on this med but it has decreased my shooters. Yes it is an anti-seizure med so you cannot adruptly stop-but gradually decrease. I had no choice- either suffer daily with shooters or try this. Last fall it got so bad that my pain was beyond tolerance. You could try a small dose and see if it works. If not-get off of it-just my advice I guess. Good Luck with your decision. Thanks- Ron

glenkidd

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 07:53:17 pm »
I've had a AN in 91 and in 95. It has been 13 years but now I suffer sharp pain within both sides of my head. pains that will take your breath. sharp pains they say its neuralgia and also so hydrocephalus (fluid build up on the brain) is this caused from my an

Rc Moser

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 04:37:26 pm »
Bumping this for new people on the forum.  I almost had all my teeth pulled few years back due to the intense pain in my teeth. I'm glad I didn't get them pulled cause I would of still had the pain!

Luckily I came across this and of course my Dentist said there was nothing wrong with my teeth. I have sense found that if I use Anbesol on a Q-Tip and wipe it across my teeth when I a just getting a migraine it seems to lessen the effect and length of the migraine attack most of the time. For me my teeth start to ache before i get migraine and even during a migraine I can get relief from the throbbing teeth using Anbesol.