Author Topic: I've made my decision... now it's time to bite the bullet  (Read 9427 times)

LADavid

Re: I've made my decision... now it's time to bite the bullet
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 08:04:42 pm »
Hi Mary
I too have a child -- but at 25 she was one of my primary caretakers.  She's the one who took me to the hospital and saw me through surgery.  Before my surgery I put together a binder with every possible piece of information related to my surgery -- including visitors stuff from St Vincents and paperwork from House.  I put all the contact information -- phone calls and emails.  I gave directions to the hospital and maps of parking.  I let the people I needed to know that I would be out of commission for at least two months and put their contact info in the binder.  I included my pharmacy, bank, and local stores.  Then just as we were ready to leave for the hospital, I took the binder, put it in my daughter's hands and said everything and everybody you need to know is here.  I'm going to be busy with other things and I may not be able to answer questions for awhile.  It worked like a charm.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

elderbirds

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 09:58:47 pm »
Thanks for the input.  We'll see how everything goes as to whether the kids will visit.  We'll see how hubby and my parents do with the bandages, IV's, and unsteadiness first!  How long is the dressing on?  it's off when you leave the hospital right?  A mom's group sounds great, I too check my e-mail late at night.
Hope

lori67

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 10:08:57 pm »
I had my surgery on a Tuesday and got the bandage off on Friday!  Then I got to take a shower!!  AHHHHHH!!!  That was the best shower of my life!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 07:56:03 am »
I had surgery on a Wed, went home on Sunday, but the bandage didn't come off until Tuesday!  I was actually kinda upset that it was on so long (it's a pressure dressing and it's tight!), but the docs insisted.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 11:43:31 am »
Katie -

I totally agree with you.  Children visiting in the hospital post op is a personal choice - great point.

The decision should be based on lots of factors - anxiety level of children, age of children, how the patient looks and feels post op, etc.  In my case it was a no-brainer (no pun intended) as my son has a very severe anxiety issue and has a horrible time being away from me at night time.  It was all he could do to get through the first 2 nights I was in the hospital without seeing me.  Every case is different and all families are different; as with treatment options, patients should decide what is personally right for them.

As for pressure bandages, it sounds like docs do things differently.  I was in the hospital for 5 days and mine came off after 2 or 3 days - I can't recall which.  I just remember being relieved because as Katie said, it was tight.  I also found it awkward to sleep with it on since the left side of my head felt so heavy and lopsided due to the bandage.  I actually had a stiff neck for a couple weeks - probably due to the awkward sleeping position and also the awkward position my head was in during the 7 1/2 hours of surgery.

I couldn't wash my hair until 9 days post op after my stitches were removed.  It felt like the longest 9 days of my life.  Besides just being dirty from not being washed, it had all the goop I had to put on my scar once the pressure bandage came off.  I'm used to washing my hair daily and I can't stand when it feels dirty.  Yuck!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

marymomof3

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 07:13:18 pm »
Is it typical that the head bandage stay on after you are discharged from the hospital?  I was actually hoping not to have to tell my kids anything.  My oldest is 7, and I have a 5 yr old and a baby at home.  I need this AN like a hole in my head... literally!!!
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 07:48:25 pm »
Mary:  When I woke up post op, the only thing on my head was a strip of tape that was sticking to my hair, to the side of my incision,
never had a 'bandage'.   I had retrosigmoid.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

marymomof3

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 07:53:26 pm »
That's great to hear.  I was imaging a giant wrap over my head that would scare the lights out of my kids.  I'm basically hoping to play the "mommy has a headache" card during my recovery period.
Diagnosed Jan 21, 2008 w/1.8CM AN on left side.  Had is removed on March 19th at NYU.  And I am super grateful for such wonderful doctors!!

Kaybo

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 08:01:58 pm »
mary~
I had my surgery a long time ago & I think even then I didn't have a bandage when I left the hospital...
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2008, 08:03:01 pm »
Mary:  Sorry to 'burst your bubble', but it depends on which surgery you're having, & where you're having it.

Others have had huge bandages on their heads.   I live in South Florida - seems they do things a-- backwards here,
I'm the only one I know who DIDN'T have a bandage !!   Go figure.....

Check with your surgeon - they can let you know what to expect.

Sorry, but best to be honest.   Always good thoughts, really,    Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

jtd71465

« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2008, 08:19:14 pm »
Hi Mary-

I have it marked on my calendar, all the best.  Mine was off before I moved out out SICU.

Call me if you want to talk prior to surgery, I look forward to your posts afterwards.

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2008, 09:41:20 pm »
As far as the bandage goes - everyone's different.  I had surgery on Wed (with a big bulky bandage), went home on Sunday, the bandage came off on Tuesday, and the stitches came out the next Wed (two weeks post-op).  I begged my doctor to take the bandage off before I left the hospital (more for me than for the kids - that thing was dang tight!), but he wouldn't.  I'm sure he had good reasons for waiting, but I can't now remember what they were.

My kids were 4.5 and 1.5 at the time of the surgery.  I told my oldest that there was something growing in the very deep inside of my ear that shouldn't be there, and that I was going to the hospital so that the doctors could take it out.  He knew I'd feel sick for a while after, but that I'd be fine and that Daddy, Grandmas, and a bunch of other people would be sure to take care of him and his brother until I was feeling better.  That worked well for him. 

Mary - obviously, you know your family and children better than anyone else here and you know what will work for them.  But I'd at least consider letting them know that it's going to be a little more than just a run-of-the-mill "headache."  I'm told I had an incredibly easy recovery, and I was home for 3 days before I ever  left my bedroom.  I couldn't stay awake for more than a couple hours for at least a couple weeks.  And I couldn't just get up to help the kids with drinks, retrieving toys, or anything else we normally don't think about.  By 4 weeks out, I was pretty much normal as far as they were concerned.  But it definitely helped here that they knew Mommy was "still recovering".  As you well know, kids are incredibly perceptive and they'll figure out something bigger is up with Mom.  And really, all they want to know is that you will get back to being the Mom they know.

So, think about it.  I know you'll do what you have to (moms always do!) and your kids will get through it right along with you.  This will all soon just be another blip on the radar of life.  **hugs**

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Kaybo

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2008, 10:02:00 pm »
OK...so hubby said I still had a bandage on when I came home -- how would I remember?  However, I KNOW it wasn't the big one b/c they had put the arm back on my glasses when I was in a regular room at the hospital.

I agree with Katie 100% -- you know your family the best -- but she had some very valid points (& stated so well, Katie).  I did not have kiddos yet when I had my surgery, but have often wondered how I would have handled everything.  I was with my friend last Friday so she could get all her teeth pulled and get dentures (she's 38 also - long story - SEVERE case of Periodontal disease) and i was there when her son came in from school.  He's 10 and he DEFINITELY knew something was up.  He knew she had "dental work" but I think it terrified him because he knew it was more serious than that.  I would have told my kids (but that was her decision) -- in fact, my kids knew b/c I did not know she was not telling her son and they were fine with it -- just the usual questions and then on with their little lives when they were reassured that she was OK.  (I'll just take this opportunity to say that I will NOT -- I was NOT prepared at all for what all happened and I was the only one to take care of her!!  I would do it for her again in a heartbeat but it was a ROUGH afternoon!!!)

Go with you gut -- I think we have those feelings for a reason and I know you will make the best decision for you & yours!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

marymomof3

« Reply #28 on: February 29, 2008, 11:48:13 pm »
Thanks on the feedback - you all have really valid points.  I guess I might just be fooling myself thatt he kids might not really notice...  but I will probably need to say something to them so they don't also wonder where I am while I'm in the hospital.  it would be great if mommy and daddy really did go on a vacation! ha ha ha!

Kaybo

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2008, 08:37:08 am »
Mary~
I have been thinking the same thing.  After 12 years, I am considering the T3 surgery that Nancy had to give her a smile back ("facial paralysis after 9 months," if you care to look at her pictures).  In NO WAY am I trying to compare that to your surgery -- it is so different, but I was thinking yesterday that if I had to be away from my kids and my sweet hubby had to use his vacation -- I'm sure we'd both rather be laying on a beach drinking little umbrella drinks!!
I'm here if you need anything!
K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!