Author Topic: Newly Diagnosed with Questions  (Read 7487 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: Newly Diagnosed with Questions
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 10:49:14 am »
RE Flights home after surgery

Well I had a nice big 4cm removed surgically removed and some post op CSF leaks plus swelling… 3 weeks later they druged me with Diamox and sent me on a plane home (Palto Alto CA to Portland OR) . SO yes - post treatment patients do fly. I was fine on the flight- I only really felt it on the 'descent' (ie coming in for the landing landing) … I was so loopy from the Diamox and percocet combined cocktail   :P they prescribed I think I was too drugged to notice.  :-\ We contacted the airline ahead of time and an attendant had a wheelchair there -waiting for us at both ends. They will even permit you to have a pick up car parked in the loading bay… (Our family van was ready with blankets and pillow as I lay in the back seat)

Both surgeons and airlines seemed well set up to transport post-op surgery patients. I recommend flying first class on the way home-  as those little perks just ease the trip.  However sadly I had to decline the included chardonnay and other bevies.  :D ;) ;D

Cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

OMG16

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 12:44:01 pm »
Steve I wish we got frequent flyer miles for every dollar spent, we would then have to fly to Palm Springs for a Vacation!  8)

The drugged post op patient with complications seems to be a theme.  I think they should have drugged the parents in our case.  It was an experience to say the least.  ;) 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

lori67

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 01:00:41 pm »
4 - I'm pretty sure your first class cocktail was a lot stiffer than what the other passengers up there were getting!

And 16 - you crack me up! What a great sense of humor you have.  Good thing, huh?   ;D

Now getting back to the question of flying - I didn't ask about it until about 4 weeks post-op, but my surgeon said it would be fine to fly.  On a plane.  I guess he didn't want me trying my Wonder Woman impression or something.  And I thought I had asked him to put those super hero powers in when he took the tumor out...  Just what you need - a brain surgeon who aspires to be a comedian.

Lori

Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

OMG16

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 04:25:19 pm »
Thanks Lori we could not have gotten through all of this without our sometimes morbid sense of humor.

I love a Neurosurgeon with a sense of humor they are usually so impersonal.  I hope you took his advice and did not try to fly on your own.  ;D 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.