Author Topic: Chris Update  (Read 5830 times)

chrissmom

Chris Update
« on: February 02, 2008, 02:56:58 pm »
Chris had his lower eyelid surgery on Friday.  He is recovering at home,now.  The entire surgery took about 1½  hours.  The surgeon took stitches at the outer corner and a graft, laterally across the inside of the lower lid to raise it.  Hopefully, the weighted upper lid and the build up of the lower lid  will stop the eye from drying out and protect the cornea.  He is sore today.  Looks like a pirate...we remove the bandages tomorrow and hopefully he returns to school on Monday.  He has always had the best attitude through all of this...so brave, courageous and always cheerful....so inspiring.

P.S.  His smile is slowly coming back too.  Anastomosis is working at a snail's pace.

chelsmom

Re: Chris Update
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 03:10:27 pm »
Hi Rital,

I'm sorry that Chris as to go through so much but glad that he is maintains his wonderful positive attitude. 
A Big kiss and hug to you all.

Michelle

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 03:33:54 pm »
Hi Rita:  Chris was in my thoughts & prayers yesterday,  & continues to be.     I don't understand exactly what he had done.  What did the surgeon
use to 'graft' the lower lid in order to keep it raised?    Give him my best.
I am so glad to hear the nerve graft took & he's beginning to see a smile.    I'm sure it's a great mood booster.
Just having the surgery I did (even though my right side remains paralyzed) has really improved my mood.

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

chrissmom

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 03:48:50 pm »
Nancy,
It was a tissue graft that ran laterally from about the mid-eyelid to the outer corner. They can take grafts from upper palate, the ear and he mentioned other tissue.  He said that he had great success with the tissue that he was using. All the stitches are inside except the big stitch to close the eye.  I need to snip it tomorrow.  I'll let you know the results.  His surgeon says that he does at least one of these a week !

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 04:04:33 pm »
Rita:  Interesting re: a tissue graft - was the tissue taken the same day as the surgery (Friday)?   

If you think of it when you go back to the surgeon for a post op,  can you ask if he/she likes the results better using tissue,
or are results the same regardless of whether tissue or palate is used.   I think my surgeon only uses the palate, so that's
what I'll be using,  unless I hear results are better with another medium.

One a week, that's amazing.   Didn't know there were that many people needing this type of surgery!

Thanks,  Nancy
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

chrissmom

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 06:54:07 pm »
Nancy,
Are you ready for this...I think he used pig tissue.  He discussed that with me.  Dr. Beatty is really an excellent surgeon.  The explanation I received is that his own tissue will now form over the graft for a smooth appearance.  He claims to have excellent results.  Chris goes back on the 13th.  I'll find out more.  Hopefully he will be more comfortable now.  We had a small fortune tied up in eye drops and lubricants, also antibiotics.  It's amazing how much this resembled pink eye.
Rita

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 07:01:29 pm »
Holy Toledo Rita,  I thought he used tissue from somewhere on Chris!    Pigs are good!   Let me know his thoughts on the tissue vs. palate
(if you remember - I tend to forget to ask things myself).   Did he have any before/after pictures he could show you?
I'll continue my good thoughts & prayers that this works!
Yes, between the lubricant & eye bubble I use, geez louise, it is costly!
Okay, take care Rita,    Nancy
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 07:04:39 pm by nancyann »
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

jerseygirl

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 08:09:40 pm »
I hope Chris recovers really fast from this one! Yay for the positive attitude!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 08:00:37 am »
wellness huggles to Chris!  :-*  Thanks for the update.... he has just amazed me over time and what "chutzpah" he has......  Please give him my/our best and sending wishes for speedy recovery.

He's a true trouper!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

chrissmom

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 06:51:31 pm »
Thanks Phyl,  Haven't heard from you for a while.  Chris amazes me daily.  What incredible strength and determination...Today he is back at college but he is quite uncomfortable.  This surgery was not a breeze.  I feel bad for him but he has a good attitude and I'm sure he won't be down for long.  He reads your well wishes and comes to this site often for support.  Let's all rally DFCMAN (chris) !

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 11:05:50 am »
my bad  :'(  I try to keep up with everyone here but I don't always do such a good job of it... but as for you and Chris.... well.... HUGGLES all the way around!  :-*

chris, hang tough!  You absolutely amaze me and I live for resolve and strength as you have shown.... I truly do! :)

Phyl

Thanks Phyl,  Haven't heard from you for a while.  Chris amazes me daily.  What incredible strength and determination...Today he is back at college but he is quite uncomfortable.  This surgery was not a breeze.  I feel bad for him but he has a good attitude and I'm sure he won't be down for long.  He reads your well wishes and comes to this site often for support.  Let's all rally DFCMAN (chris) !
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

OMG16

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 01:37:59 pm »
I am very proud of Chris and Chris's Mom you both are very strong people and give me courage through your strength.  Please do let us know how he is doing.  It must be so hard with surgery and trying to keep up with his studies.  Let him know that if he needs someone to talk to his own age my son would be willing to talk with him.  Both of you take care!  Kisses to your foreheads  :-* 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

chrissmom

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 07:02:11 pm »
Thank you so much.  We feel the same and think alike.  I am amazed at Chris' strength thru all of this.  Someone told me its the result of prayers. He certainly has had lots of prayers.  Chris has found support here.  There are several  young people his age who have been thru this with him.  Your son can find him... he is DFCMAN.