Author Topic: Footwork Begins  (Read 2707 times)

Mama R

Footwork Begins
« on: February 01, 2008, 11:56:18 pm »
I am just starting my footwork regarding the acoustic neuroma I was just diagnosed with. What I know is that my AN is 11 mm x 3mm. The MRI says enlargment of 7th and 8th nerve complexl. My first ENT has scheduled an appointment with Dr Megerian in Chaigrin Falls. He treated 70 of the diagnosed 300 AN's in Ohio this past year (according to my orginal ENT). I have also contacted Dr Pensak @ Universtiy of Cincinnati who is to get back with me to schedule a consultation. Online it appears as if the Cincinnati Team has much experience with AN's yet as I have read through this discussion forum the last 3 hours I have seen very minimal conversation about the team...Pensak, Theodosopoulos & Tew. I would be interested in any patient experience with said doctors, as well as, any recommendations of others for my condition.
Translab U of Cinnci - 03/21/08
Dr Theodosopolous & Dr Pensak :)
1 cm

NW

• 9mmx8mmx10mm Surgery Oct.17,2007
Re: Footwork Begins
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 09:31:04 pm »
Hi, I'd be more than happy to help you with a doctor in Ohio, sounds like you're from my area in Ohio. The physician you mentioned I believe is affiliated with University Hospital in Cleveland. My AN was 8mmx9mmx10mm. I did an awful lot of research and I found that if you can find a physician that does 50 surgeries per year you're in the best hands. Well, I did, his name is Dr. Brad Welling and he is from Ohio State University in Columbus. Words cannot describe him or my experience. I did alot of research, I also went to the Cleveland Clinic for a consult. My ENT told me to only get 2 opinions, otherwise I'll get confused & to make sure who I picked I was comfortable with, well I can honestly say I was extremely comfortable with Dr. Welling & his entire staff. I couldn't have asked for finer people. I just had mine removed this past October, 3 1/2 months ago. Being diagnosed is the utmost worst thing anyone can ever go through, but now that it's over, the anticipation was the worse. Surgery was a breeze!! When you say 70 of the 300 diagnosed is that surgeries or including Gamma Knife & CK also? When I went to Cleveland, the doctor told me he sees 70 a year, but operates on 30 & 40 were Gammas. I went there thinking of surgery, but left that appt. considering Gamma, but the more I thought about it, there isn't long term studies out yet on the low doses of radiation they are beginning to use, & I felt I'm young & healthy, I can take a slow recovery. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. It's a very scary thing, but you'll be fine. Call Columbus, just talk to Dr. Welling's assistant & you'll see what I mean. Her name is Brenda & she is so caring & will explain everything to you. You want someone with experience. They use a team approach, I had Dr. Chiocca for the Neurosurgeon. He is the Chairman of the Neurosurgery Dept. Look them up online & you'll see how experienced they are! Good Luck to you, perhaps we're neighbors!! Any questions please feel free to email me! Take care, Nancy
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 08:31:30 pm by sgerrard »

oHIo

Re: Footwork Begins
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 12:36:02 pm »
Hi and welcome to our "club".  I sent you an email re: doctors in Cincinnati. 

Debbie