Author Topic: Physician  (Read 4052 times)

jen349

Physician
« on: January 22, 2008, 06:19:15 pm »
My 21 yr old son was diagnosed with a 3cm AN in December of 2007.  Surgery appears to be our only option.  We have seen Dr. Olson at Emory and have an appt. with Dr. Mattox tomorrow.  My husband has done research and found the House Ear Clinic in LA, Ca. to be very experienced in the removal of AN's and trying to prevent facial paralysis.  My concern is traveling to CA, the expense, no family support there, etc..  What can you tell me about Dr. Olson and Dr. Mattox?  What about facial paralysis, is it permanent?  His AN is on the left side and the only sympton he has is loss of hearing in his left ear.  He is otherwise very healthy.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Physician
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 06:30:25 pm »
Jen -

I didn't go to House personally; I found docs right here in Illinois that were well qualified, so I didn't have to travel.   But this forum is full of patients who were treated at House.  If you search under "House", "HEI" or one of the doctors names, you're bound to find a lot of very useful information.

Best of luck to you and your son,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

rebarman

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 06:39:55 pm »
Jen

I had my AN removed a yr ago next week by Dr's Olson and Mattox. at Emory. After the operation I had a few weeks of facial droop on the left side, but that was the only problem I had. By the 6 week anniversary, that had cleared up, and I have had no problems since then. I know I am one of the lucky ones when I read about problems others have had. I work at home, so I know I had an easier time in getting back to work full time. There have been no other side effect or lingering problems since then. before the surgery i would have headaches on average of twice a week. since then I can't even remember having a single headache.

I have nothing but the highest praise for both men. Both of them were very understanding and patient before the surgery in answering my questions. During my stay at the hospital, I saw both of them daily, giving me updates on my situation, and received calls when I got back home to make sure everything was going okay. It was never a question in my mind about going anywhere other than Emory. 

Like I said, I know I'm one of the lucky ones, but I do think some of this is due to them and their experience.

Best of luck to your son, and if you have any questions feel free to contact me, anytime.

Keith
1.5cm x 1.4 cm AN on left side
Removed by Translab on Jan 29, 2007
Dr. Mattox & Dr. Olson @ Emory Univ. Hosp.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 10:58:32 am »
Hi,

A few things rush to mind when reading your post and the first is that your son is very young with his whole life ahead of him.  He also has a tumor that would be on the large side. You need an expert who has operated on many AN's. This is one time, you want to be a garden variety. Your husband's discovery of House is formidable as they operate on the greatest number of AN's per year. (according to their website 200).

I traveled there from Illinois and felt that the short term inconvenience of being in California was worth the best possible long term outcome.  Know that they provide affordable housing to families in Seton Hall.  It used to be thirty something per night back in 2001. Althought the rates may have risen, I am sure that they are still reasonable. The facility has a kitchen, laundry facilities, and the rooms are the same caliber as a standard hotel/motel room with a seating area and a sleeping area.

Your son has one first best chance at surgery and I'd at least do a free consult with House. Send his MRI's and the report to them and they will call and provide their expertise.

While I was there, an 18 year old boy from Michigan was undergoing an operation.

From the House Ear Clinic Website:
House Ear Clinic CONSULTATIONS

If you, a family member, or someone you know has been diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma, you may consult with a doctor from the House Ear Clinic team. We will be happy to review the MRI scans and audiogram and speak with you by telephone (we must have a copy of the actual MRI film, reports are not sufficient by themselves).

Send the MRI scans by express delivery (be sure that you are able to track the package) to:

House Ear Clinic
Attn: Acoustic Neuroma Website Consultations
2100 W. Third Street, 1st Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90057

You can expect to hear from a House Ear Clinic physician within 24 hours of our receipt of your information. You may also call or fax a House Ear Clinic physician at:

Telephone: (213) 483-9930
FAX: (213) 484-5900

All the best to you and your family,
Kate
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 11:07:57 am by Kate Besserman »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 06:37:06 am »
Dr. Maddox is a very highly respectable surgeon for AN's in Atlanta and has removed many. He is well known in the Southeast for treatment of AN's and also works hand in hand with the radio team at Emory.  Having first hand experienced the level of care at Emory for other reasons, a terrific place in the SE for AN treatments.

There are many factors that may prevent some from traveling around the country to other sites for their treatments. I have faith in you to continue your research for your son and sending wellness wishes that your decision making process will be kind to you and that you know in your gut what will work best for you all.

Wishes to you and your son,
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

LADavid

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 06:39:31 pm »
Hi Jen
My surgery was performed by Dr Slatery of the House Clinic in the beginning of December 2007.  The operation was successful and I'd highly recommend the team.  One other note -- I believe they do most of their ANs at St Vincents Hospital here in Los Angeles.  It was a wonderful experience -- a great hospital staff.  Best wishes for your son.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

chelsmom

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 10:44:31 pm »
Hi Jen
I feel for you as I know this is a difficult time and decision.  My daughter was 17 (2006) when diagnosed with a 6 cm AN.  We felt lucky to have taken her to UCLA even over House.  Because of size and location (on the brain stem) the doctors left 30% of the tumor behind.  She had 6 weeks of daily radiation treatments in hopes of preventing growth.  From what I understand, a lot of surgeons are beginning to leave behind some of the tumor that is attached to or wrapped around the facial nerve to perserve facial movement.  This is a tough situation-to remove it all and take the chance of paralysis or leave some behind if it is possible to salvage the facial nerves.  This was not something we had to deal with as there was no alternative with the location of the tumor.  Chelsea is now deaf in the right ear and has right vocal cord paralysis and a numb spot on her right cheek the size of a half dollar.  She had a vocal cord sugery and within about 8 months her voice started getting stronger and now at 1 1/2 years later we sometimes have to tell her to keep her voice down.  After a very long recovery period she is doing well.  She lives 10 minutes away in the dorms at the University of Redlands and appreciates all life has to offer.   I hope you are able to make a decision that brings you peace of mind.  There are many well qualified surgeons to choose from and I'm sure there are some in your area.  A big hug to you all from us as you travel this road.  We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

All My Best
Michelle