Author Topic: Doctors in Chicago Area  (Read 12069 times)

Kate B

• AN World
Doctors in Chicago Area
« on: January 30, 2008, 06:06:34 am »
The question about physicians who specialize in Acoustic Neuroma in the Chicago area surface:
Three names come to mind.

Dr. Richard Wiet: www.chicagoear.com  Typically, he operates with Dr. Kazan out of HInsdale Hospital. Phone: 630-789-3110  He is listed in the 2008 Chicago Top Doctors Magazine on page 107.

Dr. J. Leonetti :  Typically, he operates with Dr. Anderson out of Loyola Hospital. Phone: (708) 216-9200 He is also  listed in the 2008 Chicago Top Doctors Magazine on page 107.

Dr. Bruce Gantz: He operates at the Univerisity of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. Phone: (319) 356-2173

Baha Hearing Device:
Dr. Moore out of Lutheran General in Park Ridge  can be added to this list.

If you can, it is worth consulting with each doctor.  I learned something new from each of them.

If you have had treatment from any of the above, this might be a spot to share your story.

Kindest Regards,
Kate
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 10:48:13 am by Kate Besserman »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Doctors in Chicago Area
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 07:59:29 am »
Hi Kate,

great to see you and thanks so much for sharing this info! Great resource! :)

Hoping others that seek dr's in Chicago will also do a "search" here as I believe there have been past conversations about it... and hoping those that know of radiation/radio-surgery in the area will also chime in with references.

Kate, you are invaluable around here... thanks so much! 
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 12:16:03 pm »
Doctors in the Chicago area also include Dr. Robert Battista - he's at The Ear Institute of Chicago along with Dr. Wiet.  They have offices in several locations.  Their website is www.chicagoear.com

Dr. Battista and Dr. Wiet are both neurotologists who have a lot of experience treating ANs.  They do surgery (with Dr. Kazan, a neurosurgeon) and GK (with Dr. Patrick Sweeney, a radiation oncologist).   Surgery is typically done at Hinsdale Hospital and GK at Alexian Brothers Hospital in Elk Grove Village.

Drs. Battista and Kazan did my surgery and I found them both incredible doctors.  I am very happy with my treatment, as well as my surgical outcome.  Both doctors also have very helpful office staff.  I highly recommend them.

Dr. Battista also does BAHA and Cochlear surgery.  From what I understand, he has done the most BAHA surgeries in the Chicago area. 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 07:49:41 am »
Jan,

Thank you for the additional info.

Kindest Regards,
Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

stein78

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 09:34:07 am »
Dr. Leonetti & Dr. Anderson took great care of me!   8)  I'd recommend them to anyone!
29 years old
2.5cm AN - left side
Removed May 10th, 2005
Dr. John Leonetti & Dr. Douglas Anderson
Loyola University Medical Center
Chicago, IL

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 09:27:38 pm »
Here was the original thread to add a couple of other stories.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=141.msg878#msg878
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 10:35:01 pm »
Kate -

what kind of doctor is Dr. Moore who works at Lutheran General?  Is he an ENT? an neurotologist? 

I live a few miles from Lutheran General and am aware of most of the doctors on their staff, yet I've never heard of him.  I was just wondering how I could have overlooked him.  Does he treat ANs at all?

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 04:04:11 am »
Kate -

what kind of doctor is Dr. Moore who works at Lutheran General?  Is he an ENT? an neurotologist? 

I live a few miles from Lutheran General and am aware of most of the doctors on their staff, yet I've never heard of him.  I was just wondering how I could have overlooked him.  Does he treat ANs at all?

Jan

Jan,
Dr. Moore, a neurotologist, was an invited speaker at a spring meeting hosted by the Chicago ANA group several years back.  He spoke about Baha and about hearing devices. Here are some links connected with Dr. Moore.

Kindest regards,
Kate

http://www.chicagoearsurgeon.com/

http://www.advocatehealth.com/luth/news/view?articleID=23

http://www.american-hearing.org/research/research_committee.html
Dennis M. Moore, M.D.

Dennis M. Moore M.D. serves on both the Board of Directors and the Research Committee of the American Hearing Research Foundation. He is affiliated with Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, Illinois.

Dr. Moore received his medical degree from Loyola University School of Medicine and continued with his residency in General Surgery there and in Head and Neck Surgery at UCLA. He was a Fellow at the UCLA Division of Head and Neck Surgery where he merited an NIH National Research Service Award in Neurotology, as a Fellow in Neurotology. He was also a Fellow in Neurotology at the University of Iowa. He is an Assistant Professor at Northwestern University Medical School.

Dr. Moore's medical society memberships include the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, American Medical Association, North American Skull Bank Society, Association for Research in Otolaryngology, Society of Neuroscience and the American Neurotology Society. He is the author of numerous articles that have focused on Head and Neck Surgery and Laryngology.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 04:25:45 am by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 06:42:45 am »
Interesting information, Kate.
Not sure how I missed it.  Thanks.
I read the links and they say he does Cochlears, but I didn't notice anything regarding ANs.  Do you know if he treats them?

Jan

Meagan

• Picture
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 03:50:12 pm »
late in teh game, just saw the post.  I had Dr. Origitano at Loyola and he was amazing neuro....14 hour surgery and he didn't cut the nerve at all.....am sure you have selected a doctor but he was really good.

Meagan
5 cms, Surgery Jan 3 2007

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 06:39:49 pm »
Hi, Meagan -

I haven't heard of Dr. Origitano before.  Does he work with Dr. Leonetti?

I see your AN was quite large.  Can you give us a little synopsis of your recovery.  You say your nerve wasn't cut - does that mean that you aren't SSD?  Have you had any other issues post op?

Jan

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 02:13:39 pm »
hey Megan,

I am also interested a lot in your story! Will you please share it - you arose my curiosity (if it can be called curiosity at all!). I am searching for good doctors to do my T3 and NOT to shear my right facial nerve!

It would be nice to hear from you soon!!
Thank you!

Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 06:30:11 pm »
Hrissy -

Kaybo and Nancyann both had T3 surgery - maybe checking out some of their posts would be helpful to you.

Jan

Meagan

• Picture
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 07:21:42 pm »
My story is long...12 hour surgery, 2 months in the hospital....Dr. Origitano is with Loyola and actually looked at President Clinton when he had a headache...he is seen like god at loyola...so kinda cool....

i had staph, minigistis (sp?), and blood clots so it was a tough road...1 1/2 and still the drooping face and crooked smile but yeah we all have that...my eye is sewn halfway shut so i look very hot....

so that is the short version....but if any of you are interested in support groups i am the support group facilitator and our first meeting is at the Downers Grove Library Sunday July 13th from 2-4 p.m.  anyone interested email me  and i can give you more info :)

Meagan

(Hi Meagan, I had to delete out your personal contact/email info as personal info is not to be share publically in the forums.  You can view the ANA Forum Netiquettes for details for this rule.  Everyone can email you here and there, you can share personal contact info. Thanks for understanding. Phyl)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 08:42:49 pm by ppearl214 »
5 cms, Surgery Jan 3 2007

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 05:05:31 pm »
good luck tomorrrow, Meagan! 

Hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co