Author Topic: Makeup use for facial paralysis women!  (Read 17701 times)

Kaybo

Re: Makeup use for facial paralysis women!
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2008, 06:41:30 pm »
Nancy~
Does that not just burn you up when someonw acts that way?  Not just towards us b/c we "look different" but just probably b/c they are SNOBS!!!  I hate to say it, but it is probably people like them that something is going to bring them down a notch or two someday and they aren't going to be able to handle it!!  I guess we just have to be bigger than them! 
I'm gald you got some good help.  I wore make-up again today!
Talk to you later!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2008, 07:11:11 pm »
Well K:  Both women were about the same age, young - I guess one has been thru  a few bumps in the road of life & the other hasn't,
who knows?   As long as someone helped me (& she did a great job!).

I really think it has to do with life's experiences, although, I notice children don't give a rat's a--, they're usually happy for attention
no matter what!!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

JDaner

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2008, 11:50:36 am »

Funny Story.........

It's true about the kids not noticing.  But, my son had a friend in his class who has Asberger's (autistic).  Children with asberger's usually have one thing they become very interested in, unfortunately, for awhile it was my face.  He would stare at me alot, sometimes rather closely, and asked me how my face "got morphed".  I was a substitute teacher back then, so he had a chance to see me before and after.  He had a LOT of questions, so after consulting with his mom, I brought in my pre tumor MRI pix for him.  He was thrilled.

lori67

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2008, 12:43:23 pm »
Well, I have to say, if the kids knew you before the surgery/paralysis - they notice.  I've found the kids that were in my daughter's preschool class at the time of the surgery definitely noticed something was not right with my face and it took some of them a while to get used to me again.  But the new kids in her class this year that didn't know me before have had no problem with it.

Hopefully the kids who learn about "differences" while they are young won't grow up to be like the rude lady at the makeup counter.

And J - I don't think I could have helped but laugh when that boy asked how your face "got morphed"!    Ah, out of the mouths of children.   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kaybo

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2008, 01:43:53 pm »
I was teaching 1st grade when I had my surgery -- I could write a book (& have always threatened to do so) about what they said.  It was mostly good, a little bad -- the best was when I went back to work and I had a little Indian boy and his mom didn't speak super great English.  The 1st time she saw me, she said, "Oh Nasir, what is like having a teacher that is not so beautiful anymore?" (it loses something when you can't hear my great accent!)  She was so proud of herself -- it sounds so awful, but it really wasn't b/c she said that his reply was, "Oh Mom, she still the same beautiful teacher on the inside!!" b/c I had told them I was exactly the same on the inside!  So sweet...
I have many more...
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

janitorx

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2009, 11:05:15 am »
Reviving this thread!

I only stopped wearing make-up for 4 weeks post-op.  I've found that Neutrogena's Lash Tint is pretty good.  In fact, I've had decent luck with most of their mascaras.  Since I've attained more symmetry at rest, I wear sheer red/berry lip colors. 

One of the problems I have had post-op is the presence of eye bags--especially on my paralyzed side.  This could have to do somewhat with approaching 40.  I've tried everything: cold tea bags, various eye creams, Prep H gel (don't laugh, too much), etc.  Any ideas?
AN 3.5 cm x 2.5 cm x 2.0 cm. 
Translab 5/21/07

lori67

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2009, 12:06:55 pm »
I only laughed a little bit, but that's because I've heard of that being used before!  Hey, whatever works, right?

Anyway, I use this stuff by Clinique that's called All About Eyes.  It's just moisturizer I guess, but it helps to make that area look less puffy and dark.  Like most of the Clinique stuff, it seems expensive, but it lasts a long time.  They usually give you samples if you ask them for it.  They also make an All About Eyes concealer that works well too.

I've also heard that drinking lots of water can help.  Of course, they say that helps everything, but it's worth a try I guess.

Otherwise, sunglasses!!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.