Author Topic: Makeup use for facial paralysis women!  (Read 17711 times)

mar50

Re: Makeup use for facial paralysis women!
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 06:35:45 pm »
Hi!  What a great thread, I wish I had posted the same questoin about a year ago.  I am  almost 1 1/2 yrs post surgery, and although my facial droop has improved a lot, it is still noticeable - one eye much smaller, and an uneven mouth.  I just went and had my colors "done" as a birthday present to myself, and had a make-up consultation as part of the service.  The one tip I thought especially helpful was not to line the upper eyelids (I think it emphasizes the "droop"), as i have done for something like 25 years!  Instead, I use a little eye shadow, then line the lower lids slightly, and then use mascara on both upper and lower lashes (although they are different lengths on each eye!)

The lips are harder - I guess I vote for the neutral colors so as not to draw even more attention to the uneveness, but I have to say Ii think that any lip color looks better than none.  I think I avoided it for almost a year post-surgery. 

I mentioned to my surgeon's nurse practioner how self-counscious I was about my face at my 6 month appointment.  she commented that someone she knew with a facial paralysis always had impeccable make-up, I guess that was I subtle hint that maybe I should have put some on.   :D

lori67

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 01:56:05 pm »
I know this doesn't have a whole lot to do with makeup - but I think you ladies will all know what I mean - it is cruel and inhuman to make someone with facial paralysis have a photo taken for their driver's license!  Ugh - like those pictures don't come out horrible enough to begin with - then add the droopy face and the half smile!  I guess it's now a good thing that I don't get carded when I buy beer or wine!!

Ok, sorry, carry on with the makeup - I'm getting some good ideas here...

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 05:51:24 pm »
Lori:   Sorry about the driver's license - mine expires next year...

I picked up the Clinique eye makeup remover today - they had a blue color & purple color bottle - I got the blue one.
I'll start using it tonight & see how it goes.   I think it'll take awhile to get the 'buildup' off though,  we'll see.

I also picked up a lipstick at the Chanel counter.  I was walking around the different brand counters, & this really nice guy asked
if he could help me with something.   So Roberto (how cute is that?) offered, I accepted.  He courteously took the bags I was
carrying, sat me down, & when I explained I needed a 'neutral' shade, he picked out a few & we found the one that worked.
He was so sweet - while applying the lipstick he says, "Let me know if I'm causing any pain"   He even asked what happened,
gave me his phone# at the store if I have any questions.....    I felt like a princess.   So, nice experience at Macy's thanks to Roberto!

Okay, I just tried putting on makeup for the 1st time in a year & a 1/2, & I must say, Pimento, TLC & mar are right!!   I used a slightly darker eye shadow on the
AN eye, & presto, the eye almost looks the same as the left.   I also used a thin layer of foundation, light dusting of face powder & lightly applied
powder bronzer to outer cheeks (& my new lipstick).   I tried a soft pink blush on the apples of my cheeks, but it doesn't work.
Well, I'll be looking more presentable at work Monday (along with the much needed new work clothes I bought!).   It had been a LONG TIME since I
felt like shopping......
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 07:15:45 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

lori67

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 11:27:57 am »
Nancy, the world needs more Roberto's.  I think I'll see if we have an equivalent at our Macy's.

Eve, the water resistant eye liner works!  Yay!  I didn't know it existed, but I found some!  Thanks!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

OMG16

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 11:03:59 pm »
I had a similar experience at Macy's and the girl at estee lauder gave me her card and told me anytime I needed a new look or was going out to just come in and she would do me up and assured me I did not have to buy anything.  Of course I always buy my spellbound perfume!  My Sister in Law was the Manager of the store and had told this girl about my son and of course she had met my twin brother and asked me at the end if I was Tan's sister in law and she had said all of this before she knew who I was.  I made sure that she got a lovely thank you gift because it meant so much to me at the time.  She still calls me to see how my son is as I have found out since that her baby was at the same hospital while my son was there.  So I guess I am saying you never know where you will meet new friends.

Can some of you post pictures of your new looks I have always been makeup deficient.  Now I am having to deal with bruising from my eyebrow to half way down my neck and need some suggestions.  I'm feeling well enough to maybe go out this weekend but would like to hide this if possible.  I think it would help my mood some.  I had my hair done just a week before surgery and it was great and I could wash it and just let it go and it curled perfectly.  16

I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Jan D

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 07:35:59 pm »
I have tried several brands of eye makeup with the same results - an eye infection in the affected eye.

I have given up and now choose to go without eye makeup.   It's more important to me to have a healthy eye.

Someone told me that gel liner and mascara are better because they do not flake, but I haven't tried it yet.  One brand that makes this is Mac.

Best of luck!

Jan

AN removed July, 1966, size of golf ball, seventh nerve severed, shoulder nerve graft in 1967, corner of eyelid stiched twice, deafness in right ear, right eye does not close nor tear and right side of face has virtually no movement.

Kaybo

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 08:18:42 pm »
Hello Everyone~
I just found this but have been wondering about make-up lately.  For the last however long, I have just worn make-up on one eye.  So much for all that balance stuff (I figure I don't have balance anyway so why be worried about it in my face?)  No, I had to put salve in my eye for so long and it acted just like eye make-up remover (I still use it to remove my waterproof make-up if I am on vacation and forget my other remover) that I couldn't even think of putting anything on.  Now that I FINALLY have a weight in my eye and a bit more time & energy to devote to myself than getting babies ready - I think I am ready to try more.  I actually wore mascara the other day and curled my lashes on that side (no one noticed), but haven't done anymore than that yet.  I use Merle Norman Very Gentle Make-Up Remover and love it.  I don't use any of their other products, but have use that since before my surgery as I have always had very sensitive eyes.  I have been using Bare Escentuals (Bare Minerals) for over a year and 1/2 now and absolutely LOVE it.  My mom had all but stopped wearing eye make-up b/c it irritated her eyes so bad, but can wear this.  I wonder if it is b/c it is natural minerals & so not so irritating.  I could be making a LOT of $$ if this was a commission thing b/c I have told SOOOO many people about it -- too bad it is not!!  :o(  Anyway, I'll have to let you know how it goes with my "bad" eye!
I LOVE nice & helpful people at stores -- why can't more be that way??
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2008, 01:37:09 pm »
Lori:  The Clinique oil free eye makeup remover really gets the lubricant off my eyelashes - I can't believe it!!

I use a cutip swab to gently brush the eyelashes with, then dry with a tissue - works great - THANKS!!!!
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

lori67

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2008, 01:39:42 pm »
Nancy - I was just thinking of you this morning, as I did my daily eye goop removal... I'm glad that stuff works for you too.  I hate that feeling of built up goo on my lashes - and no matter how much water I'd use - it never seemed to get it all off!

We should have our own AN counter at Macy's!

Lori

Kaybo

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2008, 01:48:06 pm »
I have worn make-up on my "bad" eye 3x's now --( first time in 12 years!) and a few have noticed.  My mom thought that I had something on my eye and then she said, "Have you got MAKE-UP on that eye??"  She was so surprised!!  I like it, but I have noticed that the eyeliner is more "precise" on that eye, even at the end of the day b/c I don't really blink it much so it doesn't smear and blend like the other one!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2008, 04:33:31 pm »
Lori:  my eyelashes feel 'soft' again - i LOVE it!!

K:  I'm not wearing eye makeup right now - I was only using eye shadow (I can't imagine going the whole gammit with eyeliner - good for you guys!)
I've got some kind of a reddened area just below my lower eyelashes going on - kinda looks like there might be a pimple under it, I don't know -
I see the doc on Monday about it.   
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2008, 04:17:50 pm »
Well:  my latest makeup fiasco:  I was so excited to be wearing makeup to work.   I had ALOT of foundation left from a year & a half ago,
so that's what I've been using.
 Last week I noticed a red area under my right eyelashes, so off to the opthalmologist Monday:  dumbo here
should have bought NEW makeup because the old stuff with all the bacteria in it left me with a sty on the lower lid. 
So it's warm compresses & Erythromycin ointment for 10 days.

Learn from me:  THROW ALL THE OLD STUFF OUT & BUY NEW MAKEUP!!!!       End of story.
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

Kaybo

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2008, 04:33:58 pm »
Nancy~
OH NO!!  Just one more thing you didn't need, huh?  We get so excited to do something like we use to and look what happens!!  At least it is treatable, but what a PAIN!!!
Since I have been home with sick kiddos (& me) for almost TWO WEEKS (AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!), I haven't worn any make-up!

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

JDaner

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2008, 11:45:57 am »
Hello,

After my "temporary" (haha) paralysis, I still cannot blink, I didn't wear makeup for a long time.  But my hairstylist mentioned dying my eyelashes.  I tried it for awhile and it actually gives a subtle mascara look.  And the more you do it the more it dries out your eyelashes (just like dying your hair), giving your lashes a fuller look.  It is not as extreme as mascara, but I felt pretty good with it considering I had been wearing nothing on my lashes.  I would get it done about once a month.  They also have those fake eyelashes that are single eyelashes now instead of the whole row.  I wear those when I go to weddings and such.  They are supposed to last several days, but they don't on the "goopy" eye.  I would always take extras, just in case.  I'm gonna have to check out the water proof eyeliner. 
I too hate pictures.  My kids are constantly trying to get me in one and I refuse.  Sometimes I'll kiss someone on the cheek in the photo, showing only my "good" side.

Great tips on the makeup.  I'm going to have to print them and have a makeup session with my daughter soon!!!

Jeanette

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2008, 05:07:42 pm »
I got my 'fresh foundation' today:  it's funny, 2 saleswomen at the Bobbi Brown counter - both look at me; 1, not busy, completely avoids me;  the other says, I'll be right with you as soon as I'm finished with this customer' - guess you know who I waited for...
She was so helpful - I explained my situation, she took her time & found me another very nice 'neutral' lipstick to use.
She tells me to come back when my eye clears up (the sty from using old foundation) & she'll help me with some eyeshadows.

I guess it's the way my eye looks that still gets to some people.....

But I'm happy with the new lipstick!!
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis