Author Topic: Father and daughter diagnosed with possible AN  (Read 1658 times)

luvmydogs53

Father and daughter diagnosed with possible AN
« on: October 30, 2005, 07:13:32 am »
We are still getting tested however is it possible for both of us to have an AN? Mine was seen on a MRI for other reasons. I went to a ENT and he feels it is an AN. My MRI with contrast is this week as is an appt with a neuro- ear surgeon on friday. My dad 79 and in poor health, has been suffering from almost total hearing loss most of his life. Two weeks ago the hearing he had left in one ear was gone. He cannot have an MRI because he has a defibulator. The ENT did a hearing test to send signals to his brain and the results will be in at the end of this week. They told him they suspect an AN. What are the odds?????

Kathleen_Mc

Re: Father and daughter diagnosed with possible AN
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 11:52:30 am »
lumpydogs53: There is not sup[posed to be a genetic link to A.N.'s but there is a familiar tendancy, the difference? I don't know. There is a genetic condition called neurofibromitosis type II that is a genetic based condition, in this condition the person developes multiple tumor's but I would think at some point your father would have fallen very ill before now if it hadn't yet been diagnosed. Then again in the human body, particularily when it comes to neurology there is much the doctor and researchers have yet to know. I'll cross my fingers for both of you that it something other than a.n. or nfII. (something very simple like excessive ear wax). Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)