Author Topic: Ringing noises ?  (Read 3040 times)

tony

Ringing noises ?
« on: January 10, 2008, 01:59:51 am »
Picked this up from our BBC - latest research on ringing noises
I think they maybe on the right track ?

New hope for tinnitus sufferers :

New approaches to the treatment of tinnitus - a buzzing or ringing in the ears - are being pioneered and may hold the promise of a future cure. Over a third of the UK population will suffer from tinnitus at some point in their lives. Tinnitus comes from the Latin word for ringing
For 600,000 of these people the condition will become so severe that it seriously impedes the quality of their lives. Sufferers can become agitated and forgetful. They are sometimes unable to sleep, sustain relationships, or hold down employment. Every year there are many reports of tinnitus driving sufferers to suicide. There is no respite from the constant noise and no cure. Silent Symptom Tinnitus is often described as a 'mild ringing' in the ears. But for Kate Cook, a busy working mother of two and presenter of the documentary Longing for Silence, the effects of the condition are debilitating.      Because it is a silent symptom to everyone around you, there is this hopeless feeling of being on my own with it Kate Cook
She has had a high pitched whistle inside her head for 25 years and the impact on her life is huge. It never goes away and when she is tired or stressed the volume swells to unbearable levels. "After a long day you have got this incredible noise inside you. A whistling, squeaking, almost physical sensation in your ears. That is when you feel really really lonely. And because it is a silent symptom to everyone around you, there is this hopeless feeling of being on my own with it," says Kate. Like many tinnitus sufferers, she feels frustrated by the lack of help on offer. "There is a complete vacuum of information for people like me. Because it is not fatal people think it is not that bad. But it ruins lives." Different approaches The message from most GPs is that there is no cure. But this is not the whole story.
Berthold Langguth:
 a neurologist in Germany, believes the hearing cells in the auditory cortex (the brain area perceiving sound signals) in tinnitus sufferers are overactive and is trying to normalise them. By running an electric current through sections of wire he creates a magnetic field. When held over the head of a patient the magnetic stimulation reduces the neural activity and diminishes unwanted sound.      I woke up and didn't hear a thing. Absolutely no sound at all. At first I thought I had gone deaf! Vivian
Only one patient so far has been completely cured but many have found the volume of their tinnitus reduced. In Belgium, neurosurgeon Dirk De Ridder, has tried implanting electrodes directly into the brain of sufferers to permanently normalise the overactive neurons. So far he has only operated on 30 patients but with some successful results. Vivian, who had a permanent 80Db ringing in her head and felt suicidal was the first tinnitus sufferer to have the operation. "The first night I fell asleep. I woke up and didn't hear a thing. Absolutely no sound at all. At first I thought I had gone deaf! Now, there is no noise at all".
A cure?
Researchers in Cambridge have discovered that lidocaine, the most commonly used anaesthetic in the world, turns down the sound in two thirds of sufferers for roughly five minutes. Whilst the drug is dangerous and the effect transitory, the discovery is clear proof for the first time that there is a mechanism to turn tinnitus off. The golden key is to find a drug that has the suppressive effect of lidocaine without the side effects. "My hope, which is cautiously optimistic, is that we will see a drug available to sufferers within a 20 year period," says David Baguley, Consultant Audiologist at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge. Longing For Silence can be heard on BBC Radio 4 at 21.00 on Wednesday 9 January 2008.

Hope you find it of interest
Best Regards
Tony      

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Ringing noises ?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 07:54:15 am »
Tony,
  Thanks for the article.  Very interesting.  I'm glad to see that there are researchers trying to fix tinitus on a fundmental level.  Too many doctors just right off Tinitus as unfixable.
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 08:07:49 am »
Hi Tony:  Yes,  very interesting.   I was surprised to read that some people commit suicide due to the tinnitus .....
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 08:29:22 am »
Tony, thanks for sharing the article.  I wish people without it could understand what it is like just for one day!  Got my sox, prayers, and good thoughts ready for your surgery.

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 10:32:09 am »
My tinnitis is getting much worse due to the NF2 tumor on my  "good"  side.    I now have all kinds 
 of roars,whooshes,  ringing and various kinds of music even.    From violin sound to organ grinder music.    It is very frustrating and yes invisible to anyone!              There is just a plain old hum on the side where have had surgeries and the heart beat most of the time.   It  is maddening when I hear a noise and think something is malfunctioning and discover it is all in my head.   
     I just try and bear and wonder what the "sound of the day" is going to be.
                                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

tony

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 12:53:06 pm »
Note to cheryl - saw your note re: noises etc
In the absence of a new mouse trap, or sliced bread
you might want to try :
1- generally any type of caffene seems to make it worse
2- ongoing background noise will bring it on or extend it
- look at ways to moderate the gen sound level ?
(fit the kids with silencers ???)
3- tiredness/stress is also a factor
look at sleeping patterns - and rest times where possible
any maybe investigate the stressors
4- some herbal remedies seem to improve things
some folk go for St Johns Wort - others say Ginko is better
This is a try it and see - I would suggest anything that is noted
for calming effects is worth a try for a week
5- some say E additives are a factor - I am unclear on that one...
PS my noises are mostly a restrained "Pink Floyd" intro
so a bit easier to live with ?
Good Luck
Tony

jerseygirl

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 04:44:11 pm »
Tony,

I absolutely agree with everything you say except for the natural stuff. I know nothing about St. John's wort but in my experience Ginkgo Biloba does not work before 2 months, or works only partially at best. I find tinnitis is like weight: it is much  harder to lose it than to gain it. As you might know, Ginkgo gave me a complete remission of tinnutis after surgery #1. I stoped taking it 3 weeks before surgery #2 because it is a blood thinner. Mild tinnitis retuned within two weeks and stayed that way for about 4  months after the second surgery. I even got used to it. Then, at 4 months second post-op, the tinnitis came back with such a vengeance that I was really surprised. I understand how some people kill themselves over it. It is possible to lose a life to it! I was back on my Ginkgo and it brought it down to mild levels that most times I don't notice it but it is not completely gone though. I hope (but obviously don't know) if Ginkgo will get rid of my tinnitis for good as it did before the second surgery.

Best of luck with your surgery!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

tony

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 10:34:04 pm »
Thanks - and yes the ginko thins the blood - so does St Johns
if you took both your blood would have a thickness
like unleaded petrol - and be just about as dangerous for you
were you to mix asprin in as well.....
I suggest you dont ?
Best Regards
Tony

claire1

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 09:58:49 pm »
Tony
Thank You for the interesting article..In 20 years, I'll be dead but It may help my children who suffer from tinnitis. Very interesting
Claire