Author Topic: Surgery Scheduled at Emory in Atlanta!  (Read 5176 times)

mykey

Re: Surgery Scheduled at Emory in Atlanta!
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 08:20:57 pm »
My husband had his translab surgery with Drs. Mattox and Olson at Emory in April 2007 and I can honestly say that I have the utmost respect for both of them - as real people as well as surgeons.

My husband had a rough time - none of which was due to the surgery but more his body's way of dealing with surgeries.  (2 CSF leaks.  He was their "problem child")  I saw them both daily throughout his hospital ordeal and they were honest with me and took as much time with us as we needed.  Before, during and after the surgery.  I don't think you can say that about many surgeons today. 

Looking back, and only because every "body" heals differently, I probably wouldn't risk the slightest chance of missing this time with your daughter.  I struggled with even writing this note because it sounds as if you are set.  And if the timing is right for you, then you know best.  But - when it comes to healing, things do not always go as planned, nor are they in your (or your doctor's) control.

Fortunately, my hubby is 8 months post op and doing fantastic!  We are scheduled to see Dr. Olson again in April for his 1-year check up and MRI and frankly we both look forward to seeing and talking with him again.  How weird is that??!!  (FYI - look for the electric "brain" in Dr. Olson's office - my hubby it gave it to him as a thank you!)   ;D

Best of luck in both the grandbaby and AN areas!!!

mykey's wifey, Lisa

Diagnosed  1/20/2007. Right side AN 2.5 cm
50yr, guitarist for 35 yrs.
Married w/10yr old son.
Translab 4/26/07 at Emory University performed by: Dr. Mattox & Dr. Olson
Surgery successful!
Extended time in ICU due to CSF leaks.

AROBTEK

• Annette (arobtek)
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 07:46:56 pm »
Lisa- I am so glad to hear that your husband is doing so well and that you liked 'our' doctors so well.  I am set on the date of the surgery because it 'just feels right' to me.  Dr. Olson affirmed to my husband that the tumor is pressing on my brain stem (that's what it looked like on the MRI).  I want it out before there are more symptoms to deal with.  I will update you all asap after surgery - I will have my computer in Atlanta with us, but don't know if I will be able to see it or not!    :) 

Adrian it sounds like you did great with your surgery.  Youth does have its advantages - but as you said - attitude does help. 

It is so good to have someone to talk about all this with that has been through it already.  It is hard to understand why, but I am not affraid (yet)!  I absolutely feel that this is the right decision for me, I have peace about it.  We are so very blessed to be part of a wonderful church with lots of praying friends, family, and co-workers who are continually lifting us up in prayer.

Thanks everybody for all your comments and encouragement!  God Bless you all.

Annette
2.6 cm AN L side
Diagnosed 12/10/07
Surgery date: 1/24/08
Dr. Doug Mattox & Dr. Jeff Olson
Emory University Hosp. - Atlanta

lori67

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 08:42:29 pm »
Annette, it's good to hear you have so much support.  I'm glad you made your decision and feel good about it.

I wasn't nervous before my surgery either for some reason.  I just felt this kind of peace come over me when I met with my surgeon and just knew it was going to work out.  I was more worried about my daughter getting sent to preschool with clothes that didn't match or the dog not getting fed while I was in the hospital.  Luckily, they all managed okay - although I'm pretty sure my daughter looked like Chuckles the Clown a few of those days...

Good luck to you.  If you're like me, you'll be able to see the computer through the haze of eye goop - but the typing will be very s-l-o-w!!!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

sgerrard

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 08:56:15 pm »
I am set on the date of the surgery because it 'just feels right' to me...It is hard to understand why, but I am not afraid (yet)!  I absolutely feel that this is the right decision for me, I have peace about it. 

Annette, it's not so hard to understand why, you said it yourself. You know what to do, who to have do it, and when to do it. Once you reach that point, the anxiety goes away. Now you just let it unfold, and it will all work out.

Best wishes for a great surgery and a quick recovery.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

AROBTEK

• Annette (arobtek)
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 09:09:31 pm »
Yeah, I'm not looking forward to eye-goop or to not being able to blow my nose!   :P  I guess it is a good thing that Paul and I don't have little ones at home now.  There is no telling what their hair would have look like.  Probably no worse than mine will when they get finished with it! :) 

Some of my friends at work have suggested that all the ladies get a mohawk hair cut to support me in my temporary bald-patch-ness.  I'll believe that when I see it, but it was a nice thought! For a few, it might be an improvement, but don't tell them I said that!!   ;D   ;D

2.6 cm AN L side
Diagnosed 12/10/07
Surgery date: 1/24/08
Dr. Doug Mattox & Dr. Jeff Olson
Emory University Hosp. - Atlanta

Kaybo

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 02:46:45 pm »
Annette~
I have read all of the postings and I know how it is to not be worried or upset -- I had a super church family and friends.  I believe a strong faith and the power of prayer is key to a quick and successful recovery.  Almost as important as that is ATTITUDE and you seem to really have a good one!!  :)  The DESIRE to get better is a very powerful thing in the actual healing process.  I was only 25, but had a much longer recovery b/c I had a stroke on the table.  My tumor had completely moved my stem over to the left side of my head, so they had removed it w/in a week of the 1st MRI (very near daeth & never knew it)!!!  I think you will definitely be able to be in the delivery room - who knows how active a part you can play.  I think I would plan on laying on the couch & enjoying being w/ a new baby, but not helping too much.  Then on the bright side, you could be doing awesome and that would be a special bonus/gift!!  Plan for the worst and hope for the best!!!
Good Luck!!
Kay
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!