Author Topic: Surgery Scheduled at Emory in Atlanta!  (Read 5183 times)

AROBTEK

• Annette (arobtek)
Surgery Scheduled at Emory in Atlanta!
« on: January 03, 2008, 09:34:08 am »
Well, I had my appointment with Dr. Mattox at Emory yesterday.  Thanks to this forum, I was ready for the visit.  Dr. Mattox was great and recommended surgery (Translab).  We live 2 hrs. South of Atlanta, so he told his assistant to 'work her 1st miracle for 2008' and get me in to see Dr. Olson also.  Within 15 minutes we were walking into Dr. Olson's office and they were waiting for us.  I didn't even have time to fill out all the lovely paperwork! Dr. Olson is really laid back and I liked him.  He scared my husband to death with all the details (10 hr. surgery), but thanks to yall, I was OK.

I am anxious to get this over asap because our daughter is due to deliver our first grand baby Feb. 20th.  I can't wait!   :D :D

MY QUESTIONS:
1- By having surgery on the 24th of Jan, how mobile/functional do yall think I will be by Feb. 20th?
2- Lacey (daughter) wants me to be in the delivery room with her (and her husband), do you think I will be able to physically handle it (I really want to)?
3- I had planned to stay with her for a week to help her out, but I guess that will be out of the question.  Will I still need someone to take care of me at that point?

Thanks for all the info and links on this site, I've learned a lot.  I have been reading and studying since I was diagnosed on 12/10.  My husband is just the opposite, he doesn't want to see or hear anything medical.  He was in 'Shell Shock' by the time we left Emory yesterday.  I think he is more afraid than I am.  [He knows he is gonna have to clean up the kitchen by himself ]
 ;)

Annette in GA
2.6 cm AN L side
Diagnosed 12/10/07
Surgery date: 1/24/08
Dr. Doug Mattox & Dr. Jeff Olson
Emory University Hosp. - Atlanta

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Re: Surgery Scheduled at Emory in Atlanta!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 10:26:18 am »
My honest opinion?  If you really want to be able to be there for your daughter when she firs has the baby, I'd put off the surgery for a few months.  Your AN is not an emergency situation (I'm assuming) so that shouldn't pose much risk.

I had translab for a 2.3cm AN at 36 and in really good health.  I was blessed and essentially no post-op complications or residual side effects.  At 6 weeks post-op I was just starting to be functional again day-to-day, and still needed to nap most afternoons.  My surgeons told me no driving or lifting anything over 5 lbs for a month (which is less than a full-term baby weighs!, and that was about right for me.  It was at least 4 weeks before I felt comfortable being alone in the house for a hour or two.

Personally, I'd put off the surgery and really enjoy this special time with your daughter and grandchild first.  But in the end, you'll make the decision that is right for you and your situation - and that's all that matters.

Congratulations on the baby!   ;D

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 10:26:59 am »
Annette,
Welcome to the club!  With your attitude everything should go fine.  You have a lot on your plate though.  Everyone heals differently and at different speeds.  Knowing what it is like to witness the birth of a grandchild, I wouldn't miss that one for the world.  I'm sure you will make yourself be ready for it.  As far as helping your daughter once the baby gets here, that's another story.  You will need to take care of you and get plenty of rest and keep yourself healthy.  I would make sure you have help and that your daughter does too.  I'll be keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

AROBTEK

• Annette (arobtek)
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 12:04:46 pm »
Katie and Brenda, thanks for your input.  This has been a tough decision.  My husband doesn't want to influence me, says it is my decision.

I have given a lot of thought about when to schedule surgery.  I asked my daughter what she wanted.  She said she wants that 'thing' out of my head ASAP!  She realizes that I won't be able to be much help after Carlie is born, but still wants me to go ahead with the surgery.  Although we have told her it is benign, she says she won't be satisfied until it is out and the lab reports are in. 

On a brighter note, at 52 I am probably in much better physical shape than I was at 36!  I go to the gym regularly and eat much healthier than in years past.  Thankfully, I have always been disgustingly healthy!  My plan is to increase my gym time and try to get into better shape and hope that helps reduce my 'down' time.  Also, I have LOTS of people praying for me.  I have faith in God and and I know that He will get us through this.

Thanks,
Annette
2.6 cm AN L side
Diagnosed 12/10/07

lori67

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 12:39:30 pm »
Annette - 

Two weeks after my surgery, my husband went back to work - long hours - and I was home from about 8am until 9pm with a 4 year old and a 10 month old.  I had to adjust a few things, but I did okay.  We did work with my husbands schedule alot, because i quickly learned that those hours were just too much for me.

My lifting restrictions were nothing over 10 lbs for 2 weeks and then nothing over 40lbs.  I certainly hope your grandchild won't weigh 40 lbs at birth.  (I'm sure your daughter feels the same!).  Assuming you are in good health and everything goes well, I don't see any reason you couldn't be there for the big event.  After all, it's your daughter doing all the hard work at that point!  I guess you'll be able to judge a little closer to the date if you feel up to it or not, but I'm sure, like any soon-to-be grandma - you'll do whatever it takes to be there.  And if for some reason you can't I'm sure your daughter will understand.  She's obviously concerned about your well-being.  As long as you're there for support and lots of grandma snuggles - you'll be a big help.  I know your positive attitude and faith will help you through.  And what a wonderful thing you have to look forward to - a grandchild to spoil!!

We'll all be praying for you too!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 03:20:38 pm »
There is a big difference in having this surgery in your fifties than in your thirties, I don't care how healthy you are.  This thing kicked my 51 year-old-healthy-as-a-horse butt. I was incapacitated for a good 2 months. I'm with Katie on this one, 100%. Put the surgery off till the end of March. Your AN's growth will be imperceptible, if any. I waited that long between diagnosis and surgery just to get a spot at House Institute. Congrats on Grandmahood! It is a blast and not to be missed.

Capt Deb 8)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 03:23:12 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 06:11:19 am »
Annette,
After rereading your post and Katie's and then Capt Deb's, being in my fifties when I had the surgery and being a grandma, if I had the choice I would wait until after the baby is born to have the surgery.  Being a granny is no small task to be taken lightly and you want to be at your very best to see that birth and hear that baby's first cry.  Congratulations, babies are exciting.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 06:43:38 am »
Annette,

You are in fab hands with Dr. Maddox at Emory... Top of the line in the Atlanta area.  Congrats on the upcoming new arrival... and you will know in your soul what is best for you and your situation.  Next trip to visit my family in Atlanta, hope to meet you! :)

Congrats on the new arrival... and wishes for wellness to you.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 09:26:34 am »
Annette,

We can all offer our opinions and advice, but I know in the end you'll do what's right for you and your situation.  That's all that matters.

Good luck!  And keep us posted on your surgery and that new baby!   ;D

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

AROBTEK

• Annette (arobtek)
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 07:51:21 pm »
Sorry for the delay on my reply to all your posts.  I have been out of town for several days in South GA with no internet access & no cell phone signal!     :(

Thanks everyone for your input.  My gut feeling is to go ahead with the surgery, so that is the plan.  Husband agrees.  I had prayed about what to do before going to Drs. Mattox and Olson because of the baby's due date.  If the surgery date had been any later I would have waited, but I feel that this was the right thing for me to do.  I know it will be the toughest thing I've ever gone through, but I am determined to keep a positive attitude and follow my instincts.  I don't plan on staying in the delivery room the whole time, I know that will probably be too much for me.   Lacey's father-in-law is a doctor and will be in the delivery room also, so I will have some backup if I need it.

Lori, I love the picture of your baby and the retriever.  It is so precious.  Our grand-dog 'Sadie' looks a lot like yours.  I can't wait to have pictures of Carlie and Sadie like that.  I will have to post some when we do.  Capt. Deb, your Sadie looks so huggable, she will be a great addition to your family!

Thanks again for the input and prayers.
Annette
2.6 cm AN L side
Diagnosed 12/10/07

Samantha n Adrian

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 11:10:11 am »
Hello Annette,

I’m glad to hear you’ve settled on your surgeons and feel comfortable with them.  I immediately knew that my surgeons were “hiredâ€? the minute I met them……gut feelings never lie!

Every situation is different, but here is mine after a 15 hour surgery:

Walking - 2 days post-op (with the help of my I-V rolling cart, but walking)
Walking 2 miles around the neighborhood - 1 week post –op
Driving - 2 weeks post-op
Return to work – 3 weeks post-op
Return to the gym – 8 weeks post-op

It sounds like you’ll be fine, you have a winning attitude!  Give it hell ;)!!!  Congratulations on your new grandchild!

Adrian
Age 35/ 4cm AN right side, Transpetrosal aproach, 9/6/07
Dr. Loren Bartels - Otolaryngology & partner Dr. Christopher Danner
Dr. Harry van Loveren - Neurosurgeon & partner Dr. Levine
Dr. David Samuels - Anesthesiologist
Tampa General Hopital, Tampa FL
These guys re-assembled Humpty Dumpty!

OMG16

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 01:08:13 pm »
I think you are doing the right thing for you and your family.  I know how stressful it can be on family members.  I believe you are giving your daughter the best gift and taking care of yourself.  This will be a load off of her mind so that she can focus on new motherhood and giving birth to a healthy, happy and oh so cute baby.  I must say I can not wait to be a Grandmother.  I am now a Grandmother to a 5lb chihuahua but it is not the same.  I do love my little Grandpup and wouldn't trade him for all of the chocolate in the world.

I'm wishing you good luck and a speedy recovery.  I believe you have some great providers and if getting in to see a Dr the same day is any indication of your how you will receive post op care than you will be a step ahead.  Take care 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

daylilly

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 03:07:22 pm »

Hi Annette,
   I had my surgery at Emory July 25, 2005.
   I remember Dr. Olsen saying 8 hrs of surgery, one week in the hospital, and 4 months of not taking care of the kids. He was pretty accurate.
   I found out about the AN end of May but was not able to get a surgery date until end of July.
   The week in the hospital was tough, the first week home was also tough, but I was out cutting the grass the third week. Cutting the grass is
something I enjoy. I could not drive for about 6 weeks due to balance issues and since my eye didn't close the sunlight made it difficult to drive.
My husband had to go back to work and I had a six year old to take care of so my balance came back pretty quickly. I was 49 at the time of
the surgery (had my kids late in life}. Lots of wonderful neighbors brought meals to us for a month. I remember toward the end of the month
feeling like I didn't need help with the meals. I think having a grandchild on the way will speed up recovery.  Sue

3 cm AN
translab July 2005, Emory, Dr. Mattox, Dr. Olson
gold weight, Dr. Wojno
left-sided deaf
left-sided facial paralysis

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 09:58:47 pm »
Annette -

everyone's surgery and recovery is different.  IMO, two of the main things to consider are your comfort level with your treatment decision and your comfort level with your doctors.  If you feel positive about both of those, then I say schedule your surgery for whenever you think it's best for you.  As Adrian pointed out, you have a winning attitude and that's definitely a good thing. 

The first few weeks post op aren't easy, but the first week is definitely worse than the second week; the second is definitely worse than the third; etc.  I was amazed that in my case I saw improvement daily.  By week four you should be doing well enough to thoroughly enjoy your grandchild. 

Best of luck, grandma,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 11:17:08 am »
And another plus is that if you put your good ear to the pillow, you can't even hear the baby crying in the middle of the night!

As far as I know, my daughter has been sleeping through the night since about February 20th.   :D  My husband sure seems tired for some reason though.. Hmmm..

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.