Author Topic: Depression & Anger  (Read 11342 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Depression & Anger
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 03:00:12 pm »
When I maxed out my prescription medication coverage in May of this year I had to go off my Cymbalta in favor of staying on the Topamax and Imitrex injectable--could not afford both. OK in the summer, but not fun in the winter. I also have Seasonal Affective Disorder problems (no wonder I lived in the Caribbean most of my life!) I saw my neurologist last week and he just sort of threw some generic prozac at me. No counseling about the side effects of the med no nothing. "Here, take these." Didn't ask me anything about the extent or symptoms of my depression. Needless to say I haven't filled the prescription yet. I'm very wary of taking yet another med right now. I'm going to try the puppy therapy route in a week or so. Should get me out of the house, especially in the middle of the night.

It is sooooo hard to pull yourself out of it when you are in the middle of it. You just want to sit there, don't you. But when you get tired enough of it, you will do it. You will go for a walk. You will take a bath and put on clean clothes and get some fresh air and some exercise. And eventually you will feel better. All that big stuff that you were carrying around will get lighter and smaller and eventually you will put it down!

Be well everyone!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

lori67

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 03:18:23 pm »
Linda,

Is there anywhere with an indoor pool by you?  Pool exercises are great for people with joint problems.  Usually the YMCA or Jewish Community Centers have a nice warm pool and all the ones I've ever been in also had an exercise program for people with joint issues.  (We move a lot, so I've been in quite a few..).

And that might help with seasonal depression too - you can get a raft and float while pretending you're in Hawaii.  If that doesn't work, maybe Deb can start her own traveling puppy therapy group and travel to each of us so we can play with the new bundle of fur.  By the time she made it around the globe, she'd be a great big bundle or fur.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 09:37:42 pm »
From an experience I had this week where I missed a few days of my Omega 3/6/9 supplement...if you're not on it, give it a try.  It's doing wonders for my anxiety issues.  Haven't had a problem in the 2 months I've been taking it...no more anxiety attacks...I go off for a couple days, and I'm down for the count.  I take one, and I'm better by the afternoon.   It's amazing stuff!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 01:00:07 pm »
I'M NOT ASHAMED TO SAY THAT I CAN'T GET OUT OF BED ON MOST DAYS. I HAVE A 3 AND 5 YEAR OLD LITTLE BOYS AND I DO EVERYTHING I CAN TO HELP DAD AROUND THE HOUSE AND WITH THESE BUNDLES OF JOY. MY KIDS ARE WHAT I LIVE FOR. IF I DIDN'T HAVE THEM I AM SCARED TO SAY WHERE I MIGHT BE. I CRY EVERY DAY AND HATE TO SEE OLD PHOTOS OF MYSELF. I AM MOST COMFORTABLE AT THE END OF THE DAY WHEN I KNOW THAT I DON'T HAVE TO BE OUT IN PUBLIC ANYMORE AND CAN TURN THE LIGHTS DOWN LOW AND CRAWL INTO BED WITH MY "TOOTIE TOOTS" AND MY HUSBAND AND WATCH TV AND SNUGGLE. I AM ON LEXAPRO AND IT IS HELPING SOME. I THINK SPRING TIME WILL BE BETTER WHEN I CAN PLANT FLOWERS IN MY COURTYARD AND FEEL THE WARMTH OF THE SUN ON MY SKIN. I HATE WINTER BLAH DAYS ANYWAY.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 01:11:24 pm »
Crookedsmile:  Believe me, I had my nightmare days, big crying times at night, ALOT of anger the first few months,
heck, the year & a half before I was able to get this TTT surgery done.

I & I know others have been there/are still going thru it.  You're not alone my friend.

Someone on this forum said 'this AN is bigger than me', something like that,
 but it's NOT bigger than all of us on this forum.  We're all here for you.

I was glad to have this 'cyber-site' shoulder to cry on, & cry I did.

Get angry when you need to, SCREAM - the relief feels good after you've let it all out;  we've all been there......
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 01:23:06 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 01:48:47 pm »
Crooked-smile

I just put on a baseball cap and my glasses (makes my face less noticeable) and just went out for a power walk … the kind that makes one hot sweaty, panting ,and red in the face. (I.e. to get the ole blood circulating)

My spirits were much brighter once I came in after my walk.

Try to see if you can get outside (buddle up if you need to) and get some fresh air and exercise… it will be good for your body mind and soul.

Keep moving forward

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Kaybo

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2008, 04:40:06 pm »
Crooked Smile~
Through out all of my recovery, I discovered that I am very "goal" oriented.  I would set little goals for myself each day and then when I accomplished them I felt so much better -- like I had acually acheived something!!  I made sure that I vocallized my intentions so that I felt a little more like I had to do them if my hubby or others knew...Pretty soon I was able to do more & more -- not just physical things, but emotional/mental challenges too.  It will get better -- I've been doing this for a LONG time now...some things take longer than others, but you CAN get past this.  PLEASE don't let this rob you of the life you can have with sweet boys and hubby!!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jan D

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 07:15:19 pm »
There are days when I feel especially ugly and lonely - today being one of them.

I agree with the advice on exercise and getting involved in outside activities.  Once I start focusing on other things and other people, I don't feel as depressed.

What a great group of folks on this forum - we can all empathize.

Sending good thoughts your way.

Jan D
AN removed July, 1966, size of golf ball, seventh nerve severed, shoulder nerve graft in 1967, corner of eyelid stiched twice, deafness in right ear, right eye does not close nor tear and right side of face has virtually no movement.

OMG16

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008, 07:51:42 pm »
I wish I could swope in give you all kisses and take away all the pain and anger.  Hang in there and let us help.  Kisses to all of your foreheads.  :-* 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Catflower

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 12:34:01 pm »
I started this thread and just wanted to let everyone know that I'm doing much better.  My rhumatologist started me on Humaria for the Rheumatoid Arthritis and it has given me tremendous relief from the joint pain.  This allows me to better deal with the post AN surgery issues. 

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2008, 03:55:26 pm »
Hey CAt, ya excercise-is the only thing that at least gives me some amount of hope and less stress. Long term goal of Iron Man 2010.
My running is the worst. I am a running cadaver. If you go to these events, everybody there is for their own goals, pride is swept under the rug with new atheletes that are starting the sport.

Another thing I notices with SSD.
Two ears give us orientation where objects are and where WE ARE in relation to those objects.  WITH SSD, I have noticed that since I do not know where things are, those things do not reflect back to me where I am and therefore, I do not exist-or as in -I float in space.  This definitely is a downer and makes me need to pay much more attention to things, but for races like triathlons, it is a Godsend, because I have absolutely NO ANXIETY while starting the race, Gun going off, WHERE!? who knows, people cheering, WHERE!? Biker behind me yelling "ON YOUR LEFT!"-WHERE?!=who knows...I am not existent.
so It is all dampened out for me-I only focus on not stopping.

It's as if I am in my own internal world and the only one racing is me.
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 07:28:03 pm »
IXTA

Totally off the AN topic for a second here... but do you know about this one?

http://www.ironman.ca/

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2008, 09:57:07 am »
Talk about cognitive thinking ability or lack there of... I was scrolling up and down looking for reply
button for several minutes before seeing login lit up... I had logged on for an hour and time was up ... I
though there for a few minutes I was losing it ...

back on subject...

I have gone through many emotional states ...anger mostly when I can not do something I used to do...
I usually work around it and find a way to get things doen... yesterday I spent a good deal of time laying in
bed just looking at TV... can't say I was really watching it as I don't know what was on... just felt down and
couldn't make myself get up... and I stayed in PJs all day long...

I feel better if I can get myself up and moving... out side when posible...can't walk around property alone as
to uneven and wouldn't like to fall alone... I have Lupus and a big no no is too much sun exposure ... it was 80
over weekend and sunny and I was out there and now I am peeling from head to toe... I itch and my eyebrows
have dandruff  :o ... but the sun felt good and even with this reaction I feel better than if I stayed in hiding
from the sun

I am just rambling now ... I think I may have had a point that I lost in my panic of losing the reply button  >:( ...
anyway hang in there ... you will go up and down have good days and bad but with help of friend, family,
doctors,this forum , and most of all your self you will get through ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2008, 10:12:35 am »

I am just rambling now ... I think I may have had a point that I lost in my panic of losing the reply button  >:( ...
*smacks "reply" button*... ok, all fixed now Soundy! Huggles! Phyl ;)
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2008, 10:59:14 am »
Thanks ... I needed that  :)
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery