Author Topic: Dry mouth  (Read 2776 times)

linny

• still problems, 3yrs later
Dry mouth
« on: March 13, 2008, 12:39:32 am »
I am just curious, I am almost 2yrs out and lately I have had dry mouth especially my tounge :-[  IKNOW IT SOUNDS WEIRD BUT DO YOU THINK IT COULD COME FROM the AN  ???????????????  ???
Linda-2yr post AN 3-cm left side.  OHSU hospital , slow recovery for me. But then I had to have 2 surgeries with complications swelling of brain,

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: Dry mouth
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 05:25:35 am »
It could be ... I have had dry mouth and metal taste in mouth since surgey...8 1/2 month
out ans still a bit of a problem but is either not as bad or just used to it
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 07:09:45 am »
Hi linny:  My dry mouth is horrible, no saliva on the AN side.  I use Biotene mouthwash, Oasis spray, lemon drops.  Within seconds after use of all of these my mouth goes dry again.   I suspect I'll have this the rest of my life. (along with severely decreased taste).

Whotcha gonna do?, I'm just learning to live with these issues, among others....

Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

LADavid

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 08:44:17 am »
I don't have much slaiva from the AN side but I do have some.  But the saliva tastes like salty-lime-tin.  And it seems to be the only thing I can taste on that side on my mouth.  And all wine tastes like vinegar.  Somedays it's the taste that's the most annoying thing.  Next to of course to feeling like I had a frontal lobodomy walking down a ships deck peering out of one eye to make my way.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 08:57:18 am »
Linny -

IMO it could be.  I'm about 9 months post op and I had dry mouth and metallic mouth for a while, but then it went away.  The last few weeks the dry mouth has returned and along with it, it has brought the dry eye.  I also thought that my balance had returned to normal, but I'm finding myself bumping into things occasionally.  Just last weekend I was walking around the track at the fitness center and every time I turned the corner I'd bump into the railing.  Weird - I thought I was past all this.

Maybe it never really leaves you  ???

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

linny

• still problems, 3yrs later
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 04:06:45 pm »
Thank you all, at least I know Im not immaging it. Boy this tumor has caused a lot of weird issues for me.  I just pray I dont get another one. I love being on this site so I can get my questions answered by people that really know, because they have the same issues and then some. I dont think the docters know all the answers because they themselves havent gone though it.  So thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
Linda-2yr post AN 3-cm left side.  OHSU hospital , slow recovery for me. But then I had to have 2 surgeries with complications swelling of brain,

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 05:09:08 pm »
I love being on this site so I can get my questions answered by people that really know, because they have the same issues and then some. I dont think the docters know all the answers because they themselves havent gone though it.

I second that emotion - despite what Soundy's doctor might say  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 08:25:32 pm »
Jan~
In my case, things never really leave you...they get better and worse - mainly depending on how tired or stressed I am.  Well, I don't really get too stressed about much but when I have a LOT of things pulling on me at once (when I have to have really good time management!).  I just think we learn to deal with things and make the best of them!   ;D
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 01:37:37 pm »
So true Kaybe, and on top of it I just read a book by Dr. Mehmet Oz who says dry mouth is also a sign of aging. The up-side is that I drink more water:-)

Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!