Author Topic: Pre-treatment migraines?  (Read 5191 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Pre-treatment migraines?
« on: December 03, 2007, 10:45:31 am »
Just want to know, all you postie headachers out there, who among you were suffering from migraines before you were treated? I was, but had never been to a doc because I didn't know I was. I later found out through getting diagnosed after the fact and being diagnosed with "cluster headches with migranous components." If you are not sure you were having migraines they are characterized by the following IHS criteria:

1.The patient should have had at least 5 of these headaches
2. The headache lasts from 4 to 72 hours
3. The headache must have at least 2 of the following:
  a. One-sided location
  b. Pulsing or throbbing quality
  c. Moderate or severe intensity, inhibiting or prohibiting daily activiies
  d. Headache is worsened by routine physical activity, such as bending over or climbing stairs
4. The headache must be accompanied by at least one of the following:
  a. Nausea and/or vomiting
  b. Dislike of light (photophobia) and dislike of noise (phonophobia)
5. Secondary causes of headache are excluded with a normal exam and/or CAT scan or MRI scan

That's right out of my headache book. My migraines started in my mid forties, and I can't say for sure if they were always on my AN side or not, but they sure are are on my surgical side now.  I know for sure they started in the back of my head, though. They were never nearly as intense or as long lasting as they are now and I had never even sought medical help for them.

When I went in for my "stuffy ear", it was sort of a "by the way, I've been having some pretty nasty headaches about once a month." I just thought he'd just give me some prescription headache meds that were a step up from the advil I'd been taking. Instead I got an MRI!

I'm lucky I had a GP who paid attention to step 5 and put 2 and 2 together with the stuffy ear thing.

Just wondering whose migraines were intesified by surgical procedure like mine were, and who had NONE prior to surgery.

Thanks,

Capt Deb
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 08:54:45 am by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

jerseygirl

Re: Pre-treatment migraines?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 11:29:11 am »
Captain,

I had NO migraines before surgery#1 and woke up to one. Migraines tormented me for 10 years after which they were gone. I have NO headaches so far with surgery #2 which is very encouraging!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 01:30:43 pm »
Ok, Deb you have described mine to a tee!  Age, time line after the whole nine yards.  Mine started after a head on collision though but were not diagnosed as migraines until after my AN surgery and were not as intense and did not occur as frequent or last as long or come on with activities that were normal for me prior to surgery.  You nailed it!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 02:20:54 pm »
Then there is hope for you, ya pixie, because at 3 1/2  years or so, mine eased off considerably from daily to weekly, then to bi-weekly and now it really depends on my level of activity and/or stress.

Capt Deb 8)

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 07:26:24 pm »
I've had migraines since I was 13 yrs old.  In my mid 30's I was going to a headache clinic, but I must say that the post surgery headache are the worst.  Weather patterns play a major role in the severity.  It seems like I always have a headache.  My husband promised me a back rub tonight.  I'm holding him to that.  Yesterday we got dumped on and than freezing rain on top of the snow.  My head felt like it was going to explode.  I barely slept last night.  I need my beauty sleep!!!  Louie better make sure his hands are nice and smooth cause my back is waiting ;D

Anne Marie 
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 05:47:43 am »
I'll keep you to your word!  The difference now is that they are definitely AN sided.  I would do anything not to be put down with these.  Had a really bad one over the weekend end and nothing got done.  I am way behind.  I don't think I'll ever catch up.  Oh, I can't stress that'll start the process again.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 05:15:46 pm »
Two words! Injectable Imitrex! 4mg in the little injecta-pen. Hurts way worse than the danged migraine. Turns a 12-24 hr migraine into a 3 hr low grade headache. Honest.

Capt Deb

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 09:07:01 am »
I have had left sided migraines for several years... treated with Toprol which keeps them at bay... they
at worst would put me in bed for a day or two... was on inderol but it started bothering my asthma ...
since surgery have had no migraines ... they always started over my left eye and spread to involve
whole left side

AN was on right side and the head aches I get now are as bad as the migraines and brought on by actions ...
I have bent over to pick something up and get an instant head ache... I feel a change and within 30 -45
seconds I am in severe pain... or if I come off my mound of pillows at night I get a headache that wakes
me ... sometimes if I get a couple extra strength fast release Tylenol in me it will clear up... after 30-45 minutes
if it isn't easing I move on to something stronger...

I also will get AN side tension headaches... If I have been busy and get tire and muscles are tight I can feel a
head ache coming on... these are always stopped with tylonal... the left neck muscles tighten and across my
shoulders... if I am paying attention and feel the muscle tightness begin I can take Tylenol and keep it from
going to head...

For past week I have had a low grade headache that is just there and doesn't go away... interspersed with some
of the severe head aches... it is a dull heavy feeling that just weighs on me ... PCP did a scan that didn't show
anything out of place and go back to surgeon on the 18th for MRI and hearing test and balance tests ... hoping
he may have some clue to the ever present ache
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

trhoads

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 04:25:48 am »
That is a very interesting question---

I too had migraines prior to the surgery.  My migraines were most associated with my stress levels.  I got them as a teenager, being very competitive in school, then again in college.  But after college I really only got a migraine once every couple of months.

I thought I used to know what a migraine was----  These "things" I get now, I have a hard time even calling them a headache because they are that awful.  The migraine medicine does help a little, however, before the surgery I could take the medicine and the headache would be gone in 30-45 minutes.  Now, the medicine may cut the pain by a third.

I mentioned my history of headaches prior to the surgery with my prospective surgeons and they did not seem concerned.

Well, hopefully I will get myself referred to a headache clinic soon, and get this taken care of.

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 06:07:42 am »
i had migraines before my AN surgery, it is as described in the list of criteria and i usually have it twice a month.  I had my surgery 2 months ago and strangely, I don't have any migraines or any form of headaches since then.  I would like to think that I am done with migraines forever, but so far so good!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan