Author Topic: Switching in mid stream  (Read 3130 times)

1golfnut

Switching in mid stream
« on: December 02, 2007, 02:43:18 pm »
Suppose you start one therapy and decide that you might try another approach i.e.: CK to GN  or to FSR. What are the ramifications of this and is it possible?

I was told by a doctor that I am eligible for radiation and not sure what approach to use.

Rich
1golfnut

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Diagnosed with AN on 11/2/2007  2.7 x2.4 x 2.4 cm .

sgerrard

Re: Switching in mid stream
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 08:10:05 pm »
I've never heard of any one doing that. First off, Gammaknife is almost always done as one shot in one day. Cyberknife is usually done in 3 or 5 shots, over 3 to 5 days. Trilogy can be used to do a single shot, or used like Novalis for FSR, doing a smaller dose every day for 30 days or so. After the first day, I doubt any radiation oncologist would allow you to switch to another system or protocol; it would be too uncertain what the medical  consequences might be. Just do your homework ahead of time, then make a decision and stick to it.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 05:06:18 pm »
Hi, Rich:

I agree with Steve.  I seriously doubt that you could find a reputable radiation oncologist to begin one radiation treatment, then swith to another.  GammaKinfe and CyberKnife are basically one-shot deals, anyway (as Steve noted) and traditional FSR is certainly not a procedure you would start and stop.   I concur with Steve that with radiation, it is obligatory for you, the patient, to choose an approach and see it through, as I'm sure you will. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Mark

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 06:51:03 pm »
Just to round out the consensus here, as usual, I agree with Jim and Steve. As Steve noted with GK, it is typically 1 shot, so you can't really change anything there  ;). Other dosage plans whether it be FSR, primarily with the radiotherapy machines,  or fractionated radiosurgery with CK all are calculated exceptionally carefully by the treatment teams. To suddenly alter between the two protocols would clearly disrupt that and I can't imagine any doctor doing that

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 05:40:17 pm »
Hey Rich- ditto to the others- you only do one type of radiation. It's really your choice as to what you are comfortable with.  Take care, Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys