Author Topic: Headache Treatment in DC  (Read 3377 times)

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
Headache Treatment in DC
« on: November 24, 2007, 10:56:29 am »
Hi,

I am flying from Seattle to DC next Tue to visit my old highschool buddy, do a little photography and get a little R&R. (I have 10 grandchildren all nearby within babysitting distance.) I have an appt with Dr Ducic from Georgetown University. I remember Staypoz mentioned he treats scar neuromas and I wanted to talk to him about his procedures for headache treatments.  He is a plastic surgeon that specializes in peripheral nerve pain.  I know the usual response to treatment of the occipital nerve is don't touch it as you can make it worse.  (I can't imagine it being worse!) I understands he makes more room for the nerves which is a different approach. Anyone have any info on this procedure?

Also, my last MRI (1st post-op) showed a 4x5 mm enhanced area which is either scar tissue, regrowth or residual.  I will have a follow-up MRI in 6 months.  I'm not too worried about it as these headaches are my main concern.

Can anyone recommend a restaurant in the Georgetown area? We'll be staying there for a couple of days before going to my friends house in MD.

Janet
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Headache Treatment in DC
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 04:00:31 pm »
You go Janet! I'll be interested in what he says about your headaches esp since they are opposite the surgical side. I had another real banger last night! Best of luck.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

jb

• My MRI sequence:
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 11:03:09 pm »
I hear about this treatment when I call in to talk to my doctor.  They play a recorded message while you're on hold telling you about all the latest things going on there.  Sorry, don't know any more on it than that.

Just wanted to mention that the Leavey Center has decent food and is next door to the hospital if you need to grab a quick lunch.  I don't have any specific recommendations for restaurants, but "M" Street is full of them.

2 cm right-side AN, diagnosed July 2006
Cyberknife at Georgetown Univ. Hospital, Aug 2007
Swelled to 2.5 cm and darkened thru center on latest MRI's, Dec 2007 and Mar 2008
Shrinking! back to 2 cm, Aug 2008
Still shrinking (a little), I think about 1.7 cm now, Aug 2009

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 03:47:55 pm »
Hi janet,

Hopefully its all scar tissue but pay to monitor it.

Hope your headaches get better and like Deb, I'm interested in the outcome too.

laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Janet

• Janet Sherwood Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 08:02:12 pm »
Thanks everyone. I know better than to get my hopes up to much. I am hoping to have some questions answered, including  why my headaches are on the opposite side of my surgery. I think I need a nerve block to isolate the source. I even have a constant fullness in my left ear but the ringing and hearing loss are in the right where it AN was. It has been that way before and after surgery! I think my nerves have a short circuit somewhere. I was thinking about something that happened about 15 years ago and wondering if this could have caused some damage. I was sitting at a little league baseball game and lightning struck about 25 feet from where I was sitting. I was sitting on a wooden bleacher with a metal frame and rivits. I was sitting on a rivit and I felt electricity go up my spine and down my arms to my fingers. Some people around me got burns under their metal watches, so I am guessing the voltage was substantial. What are the odds that any doc would be familiar with AN and lightning struck patients! Thanks for your well wishes, I think I am going to need it!

Janet
Surgical removal of 1 cm x .8 cm x .6 AN on 4/2004.