Author Topic: "THE CAUSE" of AN?  (Read 3292 times)

4cm in Pacific Northwest

"THE CAUSE" of AN?
« on: November 09, 2007, 02:11:49 pm »

Does anyone know of a USA institution who has a research project going on- that is actually trying to determine "the cause" of acoustic neuromas?

They found "the cause" of rosacea only last summer…
http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/newsrel/health/08-07CauseOfRosaceaDK-.asp
 from there they (you know - the folks in white coats  ;D) can come up with prevention and possible cures

Currently medicine only manages our tumors.

So what about acoustic neuroma and "the cause"?

I am doing employee match tax deductible donations right now (today is the deadline LOL). It must  have 501(c)(3) status with IRS …and I would like to see my donation go towards an institute that is trying to find “ourâ€? cause.

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: "THE CAUSE" of AN?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 08:51:58 am »
Haven't heard anything definite on the cause of ANs.  I know there are a lot of theories - cell phone use, hormones, etc., - but as far as I know no one has really come up with the answer.  It would be interesting to find out since most of us had never heard of an AN until we were diagnosed.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

tony

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 09:18:09 am »
Yes the NF2 bit is now part of long term research
- the genetic link means that it is interesting (or even curable)
from a "gene therapy" point of view
I think I read that the US Army (?) was supporting  it
Best Regards
Tony

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 09:43:58 am »
There is a long thread in just this subject!

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=713.0
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Charlotte Lady

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 07:03:09 pm »
<laughing> I doubt it's cell phone use.  I've had one for several years and I don't think I've made more than 100 calls on it!  I have it because I work late and have a distance to travel home.

Maybe I"m the exception that proves the rule?

Donna <pondering the possibility of being exceptional>
1.5 cm AN removed 9/25/07.

Dfcman

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 01:31:39 pm »
I sometimes wonder if it is a hormonal thing.  We are exposed to so much inorganic foods...I drink a lot of milk and I sometimes wonder if its all the steroids i'm exposed to.  I have no medical evidence to support this theory. Aslo, I heard aspartame can cause brain tumors too.  Diet Soda and Milk are what I was brought up on.   :-\  I really wish I was given some sort of survey or something when I was in the hospital.
Son of Chrissmom
23 Years Old
AIM is the best way to contact me
5.3 x 4 cm tumor removed by surgery(2 times)
Dr. Arriaga and Dr. Baghai Pittsburgh Allegheny Hospital
Post Op as of 7/20/06

lori67

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 11:54:03 pm »
I think the cell phone theory would go out the window for me too - unless it can cause problems when it's missing most of the time!

I had read somewhere about previous radiation to the head or neck being a suspect in the AN thing.  I had radioactive iodine treatment for an overactive thyroid almost 17 years ago and my doctor estimates that my AN had been there for about 15 or so years... hmmmm... coincidence???  Maybe there is something to that theory.  I wonder how many others may have had that treatment or some other one that used radiation prior to their AN diagnosis?

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.