Author Topic: I'm new  (Read 3250 times)

magnunez

I'm new
« on: November 06, 2007, 11:03:27 am »
5 week into this new world, I had expected to be so much further along, but after reading from you, I guess I'm lucky and I need to get it along.  No real headaches, a lot of noise in the head my balance is decent, right side hearing is gone and right facial problems -dry eye. Its hard to concentrate and read.  Surgery 9/24/07 Dr Roberson, Stanford,Mid Fossa. Gone to work out, shopping, dinner and lunches. tried driving short distances, a bit nervous. Thanks for being here, this really helps.

Mag     

lori67

Re: I'm new
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 11:07:56 am »
If you've already done all those things 5 weeks out - you should be proud of yourself!

Things do get better - but usually more slowly than we hope.  Your body needs time to adjust to what it's been through, but it'll happen!  It helps me to look back at those first few days and weeks and see how much more I am able to do now than I was then.

Hang in there!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Victoriah1999

• CM Indy
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 11:09:13 am »
Hi Mag!
Sounds like you are doing really well!  You'll be amazed at how well you are doing as each week and month goes by.  It's normal to be nervous at first, but it'll go away in time.  Promise!  :)
Have a great workout!  

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 11:36:34 am »
Welcome!!!

its good your testing your limits.. I too was  driving "short" trips at 5 weeks (get milk etc...) but did not drive to work for a few months (40 miles at HIGH speed - Interstate Highways) ...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 02:53:26 pm »
Hi, Mag:

You seem to be recovering quite well for only 5 weeks.  AN recovery is never without a few obstacles and always takes too long, but it does get better.  I still have a bit of dry eye when I'm tired but I don't allow that, the SSD or the tinnitus to slow me down.  I was driving on the highway two weeks after surgery (with my doctors permission).  I, too, was nervous - but determined - and all went well, although I'm probably a more cautious driver now than I used to be and I avoid night driving as much as is feasible. 

You sound as if you're 'coming back online' as rapidly as one can reasonably expect.  Don't limit yourself and don't dwell on what you can't do - but what you can.  You'll be fine.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 10:53:31 pm »
Mag- Welcome! :)

I too went to Stanford ... for the AN treatment. You and I are a month apart from each other.

Things DO get better ... and there are a great bunch of supportive people on this forum who are there during the rougher seas  ::) of this AN journey ship.

Sounds like you are doing well...

I asked my surgeon if there was any truth to “the amount of hours you were in surgery under general anesthetic it takes that many weeks to recover�. He said “no- that is an old wives tale�.

I had a 11 + hour surgery and tomorrow is my 11th week post op – and I just started to drive the family van, get dinner on the table and get more productive work done. Today was the first day I went back to my desk… and could focus on the papers for an extended period of time. So I had 11 hours in surgery and it has taken me 11 weeks to come around- I guess this makes me one of the old wives with a tale. (Smirk LOL   ;D  :D )

Each person is different in their recovery. Take the time you need to rest and rehabilitate.

Keep moving forward

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

magnunez

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 12:39:25 pm »
Thanks for the encouraging words, no one understands or knows what we are challenged with in AN journey, I am grateful I found you guys,  starting PT next week.

Thanks
Mag

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 01:00:42 pm »
Hi Mag and welcome! good to see you here.  Wow, as the old tv/print ad noted..."you've come a long way, bebe"... and sounds like you are on the terrific track to wellness.  Please remember to listen to your body when it decides to talk (ie: fatigue, etc) and please get rest.... but most of all..... wishes for continued wellness to you.

Again, welcome!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 11:15:45 pm »
Be careful Mag, I was 3 months out when I had a set back. I felt fine, doctors SAID to resume activities, and I developed a fluid pouch under the incision after weight lifting with a mere ten pound dumbell in each hand. I was back to no exercize for another 3 months. Just be careful and listen to your body. Take care, sounds like you're coming along very fast. Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

matti

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 12:02:49 am »
Hi Mag!

You and I have alot in common, Dr. Roberson was also my surgeon (1998) and also middle fossa. From the sound of your e-mail it looks like he produced yet another fabulous outcome ;D

I still see him for yearly check-ups and MRI's (at the San Ramon office)

Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

magnunez

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 01:10:47 pm »
Hi Gang, went to Dr Roberson for my 6 week check up and it was comfirmed that I lost my total hearing on the right side.  We discussed a BaHa device, a transmittor implanted that will route the sound to the other good ear.  I said no thanks, still getting over the previous surgery. Anybody had one?
Everything else is great, balance is still off a bit PT should help (starting this week) and holding off on the weight implant for the eye, eye is going along, Dr Roberson was impressed thought time will make it better, but dryness is taxing.
Sounds like everything is normal.

Hanging in there,
Mag

lori67

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 01:22:12 pm »
Hi Mag - glad to hear things are coming along - although slowly, I'm sure.

I had the surgery for my BAHA last Thursday and it was a walk in the park compared to the translab.  I had it done same day - I remember going into the OR around 10am or so and I was home by 2:30pm.  I had no problems at all.  I have no pain now, except a little bit around the incision, but I think part of that is from the bandage.  If I am busy doing something, I don't even notice it.

I was apprehensive too about another surgery after that last big one, but after a lot of thought and research, decided that this was for me.  Everyone is different and everyone adapts the the "new you" differently.  I just wasn't adapting well to not hearing on that side because my hearing was perfect before the surgery.  Now I'm in the waiting period before I get the actual processor and I am really looking forward to it.  There were definitely days that I've thought having a splinter removed was more than I wanted to deal with - especially at 6 weeks post op.  Just because you don't think it's the right time now, doesn't mean you can't think about it and decide to give it a try later when you're more comfortable with the decision.

Anyway, glad to hear you're doing well!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

JTomes

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 07:43:58 pm »
Has anyone seen a Neurotologist vs a Neuro Surgeon?

JT

lori67

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 08:14:52 pm »
I saw both.  They kinda tag-teamed the surgery.  The way they explained it was that the neurotologist does anything outside the Dura (the covering of the brain) and the neurologist does anything within.  This may not be the same for all of them though.  I've read my surgical report and they seem to be a well oiled machine in dealing with these things.  Good thing, I suppose!  Any way I look at it - the more the merrier!  I'd like to have as many opinions and skilled hands as possible when it's my head they're dealing with!

I hope all goes well with your doctors also.
Lori