Author Topic: "Eet's not a toomah!" (...think Kindergarten Cop...)  (Read 4057 times)

Sandyrat

• Oh, rats ~~~}---{8> ~~~}---{8>
"Eet's not a toomah!" (...think Kindergarten Cop...)
« on: October 21, 2005, 09:15:53 pm »
Well, I saw Dr. Rigamonti today at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore.  He reviewed my history, asked why I got the CT scan in the first place (saw an opthomologist for blurry vision, who recommended it), and looked at the CT/MRI report and films.  Whatever they saw that was around 3mm X 8mm is, in Dr. Rigamonti's opinion, a vein.  He recommended another MRI, maybe in a year.  At the end, he said that it looked very benign.  Naturally I'm very relieved, even though I fear now that my membership with ANA is in jeopardy  :D .  Does anyone think I should get a second opinion, just for the sake of being thorough/safe?  I keep heariing about how House Ear Institute reviews films for free, and I do have the films in my possession. Or should I just count my lucky stars and move on?  Thanks all!  I have to say, this is the most helpful, pleasant, and addicting forum I've ever been on.  :)

Sandyrat
(oh, and in case you're wondering, the 'rat' part does mean and I have and love pet rats  :)
27 years old
R side                       
It's a vein!

kristin

Re: "Eet's not a toomah!" (...think Kindergarten Cop...)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2005, 09:25:52 pm »
my six year old is begging me for a rat! ew! :)

just a little fyi..there was a guy on the yahoo group ANAWAY last spring that had surgery for his "Acoustic Neuroma" but when they went in....there was nothing there! i'm pretty sure he had second opinons on the MRI too. afterwards they told him that it must have been a vein on the MRI...nice, huh?

so, my opinion (i know you're just dying for it ;) ) is...don't have surgery!! :) like you needed me to tell you that? 3mm x 8mm is a small tumor if it's a tumor. i say wait and have a w/ and w/out contrast MRI when the doc recommends it.

what do they do for a 3mm x 8mm vein? hmmm...

kristin
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

jw

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 09:30:57 pm »
Hi, Sandy!

I think that's great news.  My only question is, why is the vein 3mm x 8mm?  Is it enlarged?  Or has it just shown up this way because of the angle or whatever?  If it were me, however, I would get a second opinion.  Not that the first is necessarily wrong, but what do you have to lose?  The fact that you're asking shows you have some concern and want more assurance.  That's a good thing!  What's the worst thing that can happen?  You get a 2nd or 3rd opinion and they all say "No AN!".  Then you have a reasonable level of confidence that it's NOT an.  But, what if the 2nd one says "It ees a toomah." and you have treatment and get better.  That's a good thing.  I think you're worried that years down the road you'll find out it ees, and then say "Why didn't I get this fixed years ago?".  All in all, I think for no reason other than your own peace of mind, I would get another opinion.  Not only is it a reasonable thing to do, but it's a prudent thing to do!

Unfortunately, I picture the folk on this forum like the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld.  You walk by them with this report and they say "No toomah, no membership for you!".  Seriously, it's a great forum and there's some good people here.  I hope to have a definite answer on my membership next week, so I might join you in the soup line myself!

Sorry that your membership was denied!  They need an emoticon that's a big red stamp saying DENIED!   ::)

Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

JHager

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 08:29:57 am »
Ah, I finally see an advantage to the fact that my ENT was suspicious about my hearing loss in 2000, but didn't order an MRI until 2005.  One glance at my MRI and it is absolutely, undeniably... a TOOMAH!  (This quote from Ah-nold is very funny, but much more understandable now that we can all hear him try to say 'California'.)  (Kal-ee-for-nee-ah)

Sandy - good for you!  Having a vein is... well... perfectly normal!

However, we are sad to inform you that, indeed, you're membership to the AN club has been tabled until further review.  ;D

Take care, and keep us posted!

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

russ

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 10:09:15 pm »
Oh for rat's sake! - smile -
  Wait another year unless you have increasing symptomology. Rigamonti is good. Krisitn was correct in her post.
  Russ