Author Topic: AN Humor: great by-products of deafness in my right ear after AN surgery  (Read 4974 times)

julieteresa

great by-products of deafness in my right ear after having my 4.5 acoustic neuroma removed:

* great way to ignore annoying people (i.e. "huh? oh, i'm sorry - i can't hear out of that ear.")

* half price on headphones

* great excuse to leave a boring party ("gee, i'd love to stay but all this noise is bothering my good ear")

* i only have to use one finger when i hear the siren of an ambulance approaching

* i'll never have a problem sharing a bed with a snorer (sleeping on my hearing ear = complete silence)

* searching for a ringing telephone is now a game of marco-polo

* old phrases take on a whole new meaning: 
     "i'm all ears"....................................... is now.........."i'm all ear"
     "goes in one ear and out the other".........is now........."goes in one ear."
     "turn a deaf ear"...................................is still..........."turn a deaf ear"!

* i can show off cool scars on my skull and stomach

* great dinner party conversation  (i.e. "hi, i'm julie. i'm from los angeles and i recently had a tumor the size of an orange removed from brain;  you?")

* a renewed sense of appreciation for life, gratitude for my health as well as the health of my family and friends.

4.5 Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
April 22, 2004
House Ear Clinic
Dr. William Slattery III and Dr. Mark Schwartz

Terrie

Re: AN Humor: great by-products of deafness in my right ear after AN surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 11:05:31 am »
Those are good!!! :D  I really like the half price for headphones!

kristin

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 11:49:47 am »
ha ha! thanks julie! my hearing was thankfully saved, but i'm pretty sure i've used the "hi, i'm kristin and i had brain surgery in april. nice to meet you" and also like to show off the cool scar in my head and stomach! :)

kristin

**don't know about you, but sometimes i just stop and think "OH MY GOODNESS...i had BRAIN SURGERY!!" doesn't seem like it was me....***
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 12:40:54 pm »
If you have BAHA .... I can really have a scew loose ;-)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2005, 04:39:46 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

sirialison

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 01:18:33 pm »
I am just waiting to be there when someone asks, "Do you have a HOLE in your head, or what??!!" and I can reply "Yes, wanna touch it?" (The bone flap wasn't replaced after a second surgery due to infection).
Siri Meyer
3.5 cm left side AN
Retro-sig surgery
@ Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
November 24, 2004

jw

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 05:24:37 pm »
* i only have to use one finger when i hear the siren of an ambulance approaching

I guess it all depends upon the finger you use!  :P

You also have an excuse for being late for work.  "Sorry, I slept on my good ear and didn't hear the alarm."

Earplugs last twice as long.

Hearing tests just got a whole lot more fun.  Press the button at random.  OR, even better yet.  Turn the headphones around.  "I'm not sure what to make of this, Julie.  It seems your AN ear has made a complete and miraculous recovery.  I've never seen anything like it!!!  Oh, my, but it looks like you've gone deaf in your good ear."

Say, here's a funny thought.  You know when you rent a DVD and they say "This movie has been formatted to fit your screen."  How do they know?  And why is closed captioning never formatted to fit YOUR ear?
Diagnosed 31 Oct 2005
Bilateral 0 cm ANs.

julieteresa

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 12:20:53 am »
earplugs last twice as long - hysterical!!!
i'll add it to my ever-expanding list!

julie  :D
4.5 Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
April 22, 2004
House Ear Clinic
Dr. William Slattery III and Dr. Mark Schwartz

sdinapoli

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 09:49:58 am »
You don't have to worry about going too far in with a q-tip???  right???right???

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 04:54:16 pm »
You don't have to worry about going too far in with a q-tip???  right???right???

really? .. I think i still have an eardrum, and would not want to punch a hole in it ! (trans-lab) .. it is harder to use a q-tip, I still get ear wax, and can't hear myself clean it, its kinda wierd !!!

4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

sdinapoli

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 08:19:28 pm »
Yeah it just feels different ...okay how about when you go to the movies with people who usually talk through the entire movie. Now i can put them on my deaf side and enjoy the entire movie.  :D

Static

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2005, 06:19:49 am »
Thanks for the chuckles!  I've often thought of the same things!  It's also great to be able to use "selective hearing" on the kids when they start to be annoying; also better when they think I don't hear what they are saying but really do, so many times they really don't know for sure what I can and can't hear!  Works great on the hubby too!   ;D
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right