Author Topic: Cost of BAHA processor  (Read 6790 times)

Nancy T

Cost of BAHA processor
« on: October 29, 2007, 10:56:04 pm »
Hi all. How much did your BAHA processoror cost, and did you have to pay for it, or did your insurance cover it?

My neurotologist's office told me that the processor costs $10,000 via the hospital (because he does the surgery in the hospital and the hospital provides the BAHA hardware--marking it up, of course!).

But on this forum I've seen more in the neighborhood of $4,000.

I'm probably going to try to switch to Kaiser insurance and see if they'll pay for a BAHA. If I have to pay $4000 for the processor, I might go for it, although it would be very difficult for our family financially. But if I have to pay $10,000--no, too much! There are two other neurotologists in town who do the BAHA surgery and maybe they do it in their office and thus avoid the hospital markup.

I am really flailing in the dark here until I get more information and/or go on Kaiser.

Any advice/experiences welcome!

Nancy T.
P.S. I did not have an acoustic neuroma. I had a sudden, severe-to-profound sensorineural hearing loss in one ear 8 years ago, etiology unknown.
Sudden sensorineural hearing loss, left side, 1999 (no acoustic neuroma)
Baha Intenso, 2008

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: Cost of BAHA processor
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 03:53:24 am »
Yes the processor cost about 4,000$ (give or take a 1000) .. the surgery is the variable here.... normally it runs about 8-10,000$ ....

most of the time, the surgery is covered under insurance ... the processor is not .. but it is sometimes ... I was a lucky one!, the BAHA surgery was done at the same time as the AN .. so it was just a line item on the same bill .... and was paid....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

1wareagle

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 09:50:59 am »
Nancy T

Like Joef, I had my BAHA surgery at the same time as my AN surgery  and the insurance paid it all less my deductable.  I never got a detailed bill from the hospital so I can't help with the exact cost. My insurance does not pay for hearing aids but Dr. Brackmann coded it so they would.

Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

Nancy T

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 11:55:06 pm »
Thanks, Joe and Ellis... it sounds like there is a lot of variation in what is paid for and under what circumstances.

I hate to change insurance (which will cost me $900 a year in lost reimbursement for having other insurance) just on the CHANCE that it will pay for BAHA surgery & possibly also the processor, but it seems there is no way to know for sure whether it will pay until you put in a request as a member. A $900 gamble.

Nancy
Sudden sensorineural hearing loss, left side, 1999 (no acoustic neuroma)
Baha Intenso, 2008

dsuvb12

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 01:28:20 pm »
I haven't got my processor yet and my Dr.'s told me it was about 5,000 dollars and I would have to pay for it out of pocket.  I'm from a very small town so there was a benefit for me so hopefully that will cover most of it!
4.6cmm tumor pressing on the brain stem--removed 7/24/07
Right facial paralysis, loss of hearing in right ear
Gold weight in right eye
BAHA Implant
Dr. Gary Moore was ENT and Dr. Long was neurosurgeon both of Omaha, NE
Had two scar revisions due to staph infection and suture allergy--Dr. Johnso

Tamara

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 06:20:40 am »
Ellis,
  Do you know what CPT codes were used to get insurance payment?  It might be nice if other drs knew.

Tamara
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

lori67

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 04:30:20 pm »
Sorry Ellis - I'm going to jump in on this one!

Tamara - the code they should be using is 69714 - Implant, Temporal bone with stimulator.

This is different than being coded as a regular hearing aid, because the BAHA is considered a prosthetic and most insurances have some coverage for that.

I know the code because the dimwit at my doctors office who does the billing submitted it incorrectly - one number off - and caused me to get a bill for $7000.  after 3 months of playing pass the buck - medical billing said it wasn't their error - insurance said it wasn't their error - aforementioned dimwit said it wasn't her error....well, it was her error.  It was resubmitted and paid for!

Hope that helps.
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 05:24:22 pm »
Thanks for the code... I have asked for and not got it from doctors office or hospital and the
insurance people last time I talked to them had asked me for it ...crossing my eyes it helps
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Laurie

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 06:41:31 pm »
I got a BAHA in January 2007.  My insurance paid for everything, but the attachment.  I believed that they should pay, so I fought it, along with a BCBS Rep. from the County which I work for.  He worked with the insurance and CPT codes with the Hospital and...10months later I got my $4200.00 back.  How great was that.  Don't give up.  I am so proud of myself for sticking with it.
I knew I had to pay, but I wanted the BAHA anyway.  Look how great it turned out.

Laurie

AN in 1/2004
Translab procedure
House Ear Clinic