Author Topic: splutter & cough  (Read 8900 times)

Lorenzo

splutter & cough
« on: October 17, 2007, 04:51:11 am »
Hi all,

I know some of you have this problem too. I seem to get coughing and choking fits more often since my treatment. It doesn't get worse mind you, but things like crumbs, saliva, deep breath, laughing to loud, talking, nuts, looking up, moon on the wrong side, flying pigs, all seem to get me choking. I'm talking about the kind of 'gasping-for-air-and-thumping-my-back-violently-to-get-me-going-again' type of choking. Had a fit the other day and I ended up gasping and spluttering for the best part of 30 minutes.  :P :P :P :P

I'm wondering, how many have this problem? Found anything that helps during those fits?

Just curious.

Ciao, Lorenzo
CK, Stanford, Drs Chang and Hancock, Dec 04,
doing great now.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: splutter & cough
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 05:12:10 am »
Lorenzo,

I don't think it's just from the treatment you had.  I had translab and have this same problem.  It can be a real pain.  I feel like crumbs are shooting out of my eyeballs sometimes!  My doctor suggested if I am going toeat something dry to use a throat soother first.  Like vitamin C drop or a piece of hard candy, something to coat the throat.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Not a very pleasant experience though.

Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

kippy6

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 05:37:00 am »
I'm wondering if a person can get a dry mouth from surgery, that they could get a dry throat too? I don't know the cause, but I have experienced bad choking on dryer type items, but pretty rarely. Still, it is more often than before surgery (it never happened to me before surgery). I do feel that my throat is dry, and when I swallow, it feels very dry...sometimes more than others.
AN surgery July 19, 2006
for 3cm AN and arachnoid cyst (right side)
Translab surgical approach
Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger
House Ear Insititute

Lorenzo

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 05:38:38 am »
Aha! So I'm not alone in feeling like crumbs are being propelled into my brain! I usually drink water with the dry stuff. No guarantees though.
So, it could be nerve related I wonder, swallowing not being what it used to be.
I know Windsong had the same problem too, so who else?
Ciao
Lorenzo
doing great now.

chelsmom

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 09:30:20 am »
Hi Lorenzo,

Chelsea, my daughter, has this problem.  She seems to be getting worse.  She will be going back to the doctor this month and that is on my list of questions. 

Lorenzo

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 09:36:11 am »
Thanks Chelsmom,
I will be asking my doc the same thing! This is interesting, seems a few of us have it so. I'll be interested to know what he says!

Anybody out there in this group of ours heard anything from doctors about this and what they suggested?

Ciao, Lorenzo
doing great now.

lori67

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 02:58:58 pm »
I thought I was going to have to give myself the Heimlich Manuever last week when I tried to eat a piece of Italian bread and choked on it.   I guess I'll have to learn to dunk in the spaghetti sauce first.  I have also resorted to taking my kids chewable vitamins, because I alway choke on the big-girl ones.  We better not all eat out together - I think the waiter would be a little nervous if we all started choking on the food.  Not to mention how insulted the chef would be.
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

marie

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 03:08:50 pm »
I have the problem, too.  I tiny particle of crumb or tiniest droplet of liquid can set the coughing going.  The weird thing is, is that sometimes if I drink something, it will settle it down.
surgeries : back of head 1967,1987
               translab 1991
               bone reduction 2002
               7/12  1968
               temporalis transplant  1969

Lorenzo

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 03:40:15 pm »
oh good idea!  A 'spluter&cough' party! Excellent!!  Maybe we could do it in some fancy hospital cafe, would be safer. I just came here to see who else has the same issue, and to tell you I survived. That cashew nut earlier really was not meant for me. Neither was the small piece of SF sourdough bread.
Time for a rest and some normal air flow.
Ciao, Lorenzo
doing great now.

aardvark

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 03:48:13 pm »
It's a relief to learn that I'm not the only one.  Strikes without warning, and then becomes a vicious circle, as the coughing stimulates more of the same.  I carry a tiny flask of Dayquil in case I get an attack in public.    
1.5cm X 1.0cm Left Side AN  Dx 8/05
CK at Stanford 9/05   Drs. Chang & Gibbs

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 04:23:59 pm »
Lo you described life after An for me.
I can breath wrong and set off a spasm which leave me gasping for air and sometimes throwing up. Not a great feeling.
When I was tested for a swallowing disorder I was told by the speech pathologists if talking makes it worse not do to it. Lot of help that was!  The ENT recognized the problem, said he is unsure why it is occuring (he did not perform my surgery) but gave me some recommendations to follow. I have found when I stick to the plan I do better than when I cheat.

Lessons I've learned over my two years post op:
1) always have something to drink with me. Warm water is better than no water at all.
2) limit caffenated and carbonated drinks.
3) carry lozenges or hard candy in case of emergency
4) watch out for spicy, acidic, and sticky dry foods. Some sort of sauce or butter on the bread is a good thing.
5) warm drinks help sooth the muscles like tea, coffee, soups while cold drinks help constrict the throat muscles often resuting in the spasms. Being in the south I have found that warm green tea with ice and cream is delicious and does not irritate. That is my substitue for soda.
6) raise hte head of your bed 6" to eliminate any acid build up at night which can cause throat irritation.
7) take tums as needed for any acid build up. I also take nexium, acidphex, prilosec during the day as needed as some of the irritaion comes from acid refulx which was developed after surgery. There is a connection with throat numbness and the acids from your stomach not getting along after the AN surgery. In my case I have numbness on my left side, throat, face, teeth, tongue.

Hope that helps you guys. It is a pain to live with!  Peppermints help but can also exasberate the problem so be careful.  I usually heep halls fruity throat lozenges in my pocket to pull out in a moments notice. They will help settle my throat the fastest. When it gets real bad I start the warm tea or rest.

Hugs, M

Lorenzo

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 12:56:32 am »
Hi Michelle,

Good suggestions! I'll carry some throat lozenges with me in future. Halls work alright, although at times they cause me to produce too much saliva, and that make it worse. Water usually helps a lot. Never tried hot water though, so will do the next time!

Fortunately I hardly ever have reflux, so don't have to deal with that. Coughing is usually caused by nuts or crumbs, mostly. So my plan is: chew well and long.

Thanks!! :)

Lorenzo
doing great now.

Brendalu

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 02:39:21 am »
Michelle,
It's good to see you back.............with your wisdom and I know there is a smile as you are typing.
Hugs,
Brenda

Lorenzo,

I hope all of these suggestions help...........I had one of those fits this morning..........too early to be up and lasted too long to be sleepy.  Exhausted from the fit of coughing but at least it finally stopped.  Tea and honey did it for me this time.
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Lorenzo

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 02:45:20 am »
Hi Brenda,

I nearly choked on saliva earlier, but not a prolonged fit, so not too bad. water helped. swallowing the wrong way seems something that happens a lot!

Glad you're ok! :)

Ciao

Lorenzo
doing great now.

Brendalu

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 05:57:09 am »
Lorenzo,

I'm trying to figure why no one around us understands why this happens so often!  My husband has springs on his legs to do the Heimlich!!
Have a great day!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT