Author Topic: splutter & cough  (Read 8893 times)

Lorenzo

Re: splutter & cough
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 06:13:43 am »
Brenda,
I had visions of doing the heimlich on myself the other day! Then I realised my arms weren't long enough, although I can do a pretty good impersonation of Houdini. Better start training Sheila! she jsut hits me on the back, secretly enjoying it I bet...
Ciao :)
Lorenzo
CK, Stanford, Drs Chang and Hancock, Dec 04,
doing great now.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 07:24:28 am »
Hi guys - I get it too, & lately seems to be more often - It happened last week at the dentist's office (of all places), & yesterday while I was having a conversation with someone.
I think, like Kippy, with me it's because of the dryness - no saliva on the right side of my mouth/throat.  So, I've decided to increase the H2O to what Arushi suggests : 12-14 glasses a day (if memory serves me right).
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2007, 09:25:18 am »
Okay my turn to add my 2 cents Canadian.  I too get this especially in the morning.  I never realized this was an AN issue but looking back........I find if I cough too much I'll get a pounding headache.  That's my worst fear.  I drink lots of water and suck on hard caramel candies. 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Lorenzo

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2007, 10:46:11 am »
The one thing I find with candy, apart form the tooth rot :), is that I produce too much saliva, and end up spluttering about that! Defeats the purpose sometimes. Water seems to be the thing for me. Or wine, or champagne...
Lorenzo
doing great now.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2007, 12:26:39 pm »
All this "chatter" about sucking, drooling and gagging has me thinking.......
I too, albeit not to the extent of the rest, have problems while talking.  Talking in my yoga class often has me stopping mid sentence to stop the spasms, then I have to really search hard for what I was talking about as, at times, my mind fails me--WONDERFUL!  I feel this problem is a muscle/nerve related problem most definately due to the AN/surgery AND NOBODY CAN TELL ME DIFFERENT (okay, they can, but I'm not buyin it as all was well with the throat day before surgery).  Happy sucking Lorenzo!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

er

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2007, 12:57:49 pm »
I myself have this problem since my surgery.  When I lie on my bad side because of the saliva problem I can not seem to quite coughing so I sleep elevated allot
eve

yardtick

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2007, 12:59:40 pm »
Yeah, Lorenzo count me in for the vino, but I can't drink it at work!!!  I might smell like some of the people I cash cheques for on a monthly basis.  I was off wine for awhile.  Thank goodness it didn't last too long and it wasn't all the time.  It scared the daylights out of me.  What's a girl suppose to do if she can't drink wine and her husband makes award winning wine.  Things were pretty tense.....but my taste buds settled down....kinda....  Love spicy, hot and garlic.  

Anne Marie  
Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!! 

Battyp

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2007, 01:27:07 pm »
Funny ann marie wine taste link vinegar to me. Can your husband make me some sweeeeeet wine?
The spicy, garlic and hot days are over. My taste buds don't work that way anymore  :(

Hi Brendlu!  I'm taking masters courses so try to pop in when I get a break. This is my first one in 12 weeks. So far I'm holding my own. I'm almost half way through and my lowest grade was an A-. Now if I could only remember what I'm learning  LOL

Yep, get that gushy too much saliva deal going which starts the cough thing. I have been told it is directly related to the AN and the nerve damage and there is nothing one can do but try to  not spit on people when they talk. If I get flustered talking my throat seizes up which sets off the coughing attack. Sometimes putting pressure on the left side of the base of my throat helps. I read somewhere on here that someone's husband was going to get a shot in their throat which was suppose to help close a portion of the throat I had wondered if this might help but have not talked to my ent about it.

M

Lorenzo

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2007, 02:21:31 pm »
i'm lucky, taste returned after a few months. and even better, now i can eat spicy / hot food on my numb side and not grab a spoon of sugar to kill off the heat in my mouth.

So saliva IS directly related to the AN!! Good to know, thanks Michelle.

Castello Yardtick Riserva?

:)  Lorenzo
doing great now.

yardtick

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2007, 03:20:08 pm »
Not for you Lorenzo,

I'll have to express post a bottle or two for you when you return home from the State ;D
Sept 8/06 Translab
Our we having fun YET!!!