Author Topic: Not diagnosed yet..but thinking I have AN  (Read 3211 times)

pnunn101

Not diagnosed yet..but thinking I have AN
« on: October 08, 2007, 12:54:36 pm »
My mother has NF and MS, and my grandmother died of ALS.  Over the last year I have noticed the hearing in my left ear worsen.  I had an audiogram last week and the results showed 30% loss so they scheduled a MRI.  I don't have any signs of NF, but I just know I have AN, I don't know why, but it all fits.  I have terrible migranes, I have had problems with vertigo most of my adult life, and inner ear problems.  My family is probably a walking case study for some doctor.  My younger sister has problems with vertigo but no problems with hearing loss yet. If I am diagnosed with AN this week should I also be worried about my sister?  Does my situation sound familiar to anyone else...by the way, this is a great site, there isn't a support group listed for VA so this is really the only place I can go.

Desilu

Re: Not diagnosed yet..but thinking I have AN
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 01:21:20 pm »
Hi pnunn101,

Please do not panic until the verdict is in. Wait till you get your MRI done and make sure that they do it with contrast so that if there is an AN, then it can be seen. I have read that AN's are not hereditary. Try to remain calm until you know the facts. We are hear for you and if you do have an AN, we are here to help. You are not alone! I wish you the best.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

pnunn101

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 02:07:14 pm »
Thanks Anne.  It is nice to have support, but since my mother has NF, I think the likelyhood of me having AN is high already and the fact that I have symptons of AN makes it likely.  However, I am going to wait and see what the MRI tells me.  I was hoping it was just wax... :-X, no such luck.

Desilu

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 06:08:52 pm »
Hi pnunn101,

We do care around here, so when you find out the results, please let us know ok?  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 06:41:19 pm »
actually...AN's are not passed down thu family's ... only NF2 is... so dont panic yet... I've seen several people with seemly text book cases... and the MRI came back clean ....
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital