Author Topic: plastic surgery ?  (Read 3455 times)

Karen

plastic surgery ?
« on: September 28, 2007, 09:12:32 pm »
Has anybody had the surgery to help breath better with a stitch         to  open the nostril?  Also has anyone had the  one to fix the droop at the corner of the mouth?  My doctor said I could have both of thoses procedures done.  I have had the 12/7 done right after my original surgery.  Not to sure if I want anything else done.  Also has anyone tried Neurotin for the nerve pain?  He also said I could try that.  Any input on if it helps or not.  My face and eye bother me all the time, numb but still feels uncomfortable.  Thanks Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: plastic surgery ?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 08:33:29 am »
Hi Karen:  I wanted to wait until after I saw Dr. Patrick Byne at Johns Hopkins before replying to you.  I will be having facial surgery on 11/20, something called a Temporalis Tendon Transfer + alot of other work (facelift, browlift, etc.)  Since I have total paralysis right side, what this new procedure does is when I bite down, I'll have a small right sided smile (so he wants me to practice biting down & doing the left sided closed mouth smile with it).   I had decided against the nerve grafts after much thought about it.  This surgery will at least help me look 'normal' again.   I'm figuring on a cost of about $20,000 - with my insurance paying 70% of the right side work only.  I don't yet know the exact fee, but that's what I figure it will be.  This should get rid of the droop & maybe even open up the nostril.  The surgery will be 7-8 hours & I'll have to spend 1 night in the hospital (I'll have a tube on each side under my jawline & he's concerned re: my asthma & hypertension, so overnight it is.  The tubes will come out the following day).  I don't have nerve pain so can't help you there.    Always good thoughts,  Nancy
ps:  oh, he's also going to put in the platinum weight for my upper eyelid (can't wait, can't wait!).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 12:37:43 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

pattibobatti

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 05:34:07 pm »
Hi Nancy,

I see that you have had your appt. with Dr. Byrnne!!  Great!  Did I tell you he was wonderful??  And your surgery is right around the corner.  Is he putting in a facial sling?  He did with me.  I was really pleased with him.  You will be just fine.  This is so exciting!!

Patti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 05:38:06 pm »
Hi Patti:  I emailed you 1st thing this morning via your email name from this forum  before I posted on this site - did you get my message?   Yes, he was great!  I'm gonna call you now.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis