Author Topic: facial paralayzes  (Read 15881 times)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: facial paralayzes
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2007, 06:49:56 am »
Margaret:  I know what you mean about certain letters being difficult - I have to talk alot at work too, by the end of the day I'm holding up my right cheek so I can speak clearly.  I feel like the muscles on the left side get so tired....
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

1wareagle

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2007, 07:33:20 am »
Nancy ,

I thought I was alone in that! I have to talk on the phone alots and I find myself near the end of the day holding up my lip so I can half way be understood-- what ever works!

Ellis
Ellis- Age 50- Mississippi
3.2 cm AN Translab w/ BAHA Surgery
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan
Platinum weight in right eye-Dr. Roberts
Right side facial paralysis (slowly getting movements)

Jeanlea

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2007, 07:42:08 am »
Marg,

Sounds like you are back in the classroom.  Second grade, right?  I was teaching third grade right after my surgery and looked quite unusual to put it mildly.  The students were helpful when I would say a word incorrectly.  It also helped me to make sure that I really enunciated each sound correctly.  I got the TransEar last February which helps.  One of my students calls it my "robot ear".  I also have students coming up to me with a tissue and saying,"Your eye is watering."  I explain to them that I have to keep ointment in it or my eye will dry out.  And now I am at the point where I can even smile and it looks like a smile finally.  Someday I'm going to blink and tear again.  :-)

Ellis,

Have you checked into motorcycle or safety glasses?  You might be able to find a style that looks decent enough to wear at night to the football games. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

1wareagle

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2007, 08:06:15 am »
Jean,

When I got my sunglasses I found a pair that had clear lense on their web page. But when I went back 2 mts later I couldn't find them. All they carried now are sunglasses. I just haven't took the time to look anywhere else. Even if I found some my wife doesn't care anything about going. Since my 2 cheerleader girls have graduated she doesn't want to go. She said that the only reason she went in the first place was to support the girls. All along I thought she liked football!
O WELL!!!! At least I have the radio to hear the team!

Ellis
@ House Ear Clinic - LA - 01/04/07    Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hilselberger, Dr. Stefan

pattibobatti

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2007, 01:37:35 pm »
Hi Ellis.

Yep, I have a full smile, teeth and all!  The eye is another story.  Still cannot close it all the way but almost.  The eye weight really helps.  I am now using restasis, but it takes 3 months to start working. It is supposed to make your eye produce more tears.

Patti
17 mm AN removed 1-16-06
  retrosigmoid
  paralysis, cornea transplant,avascular necrosis

'Are we having fun yet?'

1wareagle

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2007, 02:49:43 pm »
Patti,

That's great news! I can't wait to show my teeth too! Just to have a straight closed mouth smile right now is wonderful. My eye sounds alots like yours. I can close it half way if I try hard but I can go without drops as long as I'm inside.

Ellis

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2007, 10:58:46 am »
Margaret, (and Linny)

Way to go on the eye blinking Marg. Yahoo!

During my first post op doctor visit (while still at Stanford) I showed the ENT folks that I could partially close my palsy eye as I was desperately hanging onto some optimism. They explained that this was just “palsy roll�… thus my optimism balloon deflated.

My eye issues continue (even got infected last week from being in the bubble – known as the “germ incubator’) and I went to the Casey Eye institute (not ENT)… and I finally saw THE  OHSU ‘eye guy’ Dr. Ng … and he did NOT want to do the eye eight surgery on me as he feels that the 2 surgeries (one to put in and the other to take out later once palsy resolves … whenever that is) is too much after just having the craniotomy …but ordered for me an external weight. It has double sided tape and adheres to the outside of the eyelid. (Between the nasal strips at night to keep the palsy nostril open, the tape on the eye patch etc my face is an ewe gooey 3m gluey sticky mess). You might want to check this out. I will post on the forum my opinion of this device… once I have tried it out.

I am noting a big relationship in all the posted threads here between EXHAUSTION, STRESS AND SYMPTOMS WORSENING. (I cannot image carrying mail i.e. pressure on the spine and CSF and so much walking to be good for your recovery here - Linny). I am determined to manage the pain with regular Tylenol only as I think the meds were causing other havoc on my GI (well noted on this forum with others) and often hide the symptoms of OUR BODIES SAYING “SLOW DOWN, REST … HAVE A NAP!� I know when I was feeling better, on the pain meds, at the hospital – I did too much (and paid later with CSF leaks)

Last night was the first decent nights’ sleep I have had since surgery. First thing this morning, while I was still laying down, my palsy eye opened and closed properly (beyond the palsy roll closure) … however once up and at it -the function stopped. Obviously after rest – the nerves are connecting and functioning better… Before bed facial palsy (and slurred speech from mouth palsy), for me anyway, is worse and eye ever so irritated...

I think some people are just going back to their work and responsibilities (little kids at home etc) too rigorously after surgery … and using various meds to get through the day.  These meds mask the very symptoms that we need to listen too.

MANY OF US HAD HOLES DRILLED IN OUR HEADS – THIS IS A BIG DEAL. REMEMBER It WAS NOT JUST EAR SURGERY – WE ARE TALKING “BRAIN SURGERY� WE HAD. REST REST REST

LINNY I THINK YOU ARE DOING WAY TOO MUCH, PHYSICALLY, can you see if you employer can change your position so that you are not SO physically active … I am a big proponent of physical fitness but not physical “exhaustion�.

Margaret wrote

"Today I could finally closed 'tight' enough to keep out the water.  I know that my AN family will realize what a exciting 'big deal' it is to me (the people at work I told today said 'oh... that's nice' )"

This morning I told my neighbor (who is driving my kids to school for me as I am still a drunken sailor here- or is that pirate with a patch ARBY DAR!) that I had some eyelid function this morning and she said 'oh... that's nice' too.

OK AN forumers lets have 3 cheers for MARG and her renewed blinking abilities! (1) Hip Hip Hooray! (2) Hip Hip Hooray! (3) Hip Hip Hooray!

Linny I was told the 6 month thing too… but then told it will vary from patient to patient. (I too look snarled face but because I am wearing a dark eye patch it is less obvious- I just look like a 'drunken' pirate now) I was also told to "rest rest rest� (I think the relax word was in there too)

Cheers,

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!