Author Topic: College Football Bragging Rights!  (Read 7203 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
College Football Bragging Rights!
« on: September 20, 2007, 09:41:27 am »
OK Folks this is totally off topic, but not really but more about that later. My alma mater and Dr Love's employer is Appalachian State, yes that little college that could and did beat big bad Michigan 34-32 in the Big House and made College Football history and the cover of Sports Illustrated two weeks ago. Go Mountaineers! This little college town is just football crazy and all the shops that sell t-shirts and hats and Mountaineer imprinted stuff have lines down the block and orders coming in from all over the country, mostly from Michigan's opponents in the Big Ten. The game even has it's own website: http://biggestupsetever.com/

Anyhow, Dr Love has managed to snag 2 tickets to the homecoming game, an almost unheard of (Ha-ha)feat since football tickets have been sold out for a year in advance. The stadium seats 10,000, but they cram in 28,000 since it sits on the side of a mountain in sort of a big bowl. We actually have seats on the 50 yd line up at the top. From what I hear, don't even try to get to the john unless you are prepared to miss an entire quarter.

This is my first foray into a large crowd since my surgery and it will be LOUD!!!!!!! Louder than LOUD!!! I haven't had to use any sort of earplug since my ssd. I know lots of you regularly go to concerts and football games and such.  I'm not spending $ for anything fancy for one football game, but I really think I probably need to protect my good ear at least so I don't end up with a headache. So what is the cheapest best earplug to buy? I'm also takin the injectapen Imitrex so I don't have to drop me drawers at the game or wait in line for the john for a shot just in case. But NO HEADACHE ON GAME DAY!

I am so excited about going to this game! Erics son and daugher-inlaw are tailgating with us and we should have a blast. This little town is football crazy since we won the nationional champoinship in our division 2 years in a row.

Thanks!

Capt Deb 8)

« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 03:26:59 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: College Football Bragging Rights!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 12:01:21 pm »
I'm sure Michigan would disagree, but that was the best football story ever!  And I thought, Wow, I'm sure hearing a lot about Boone, NC lately.  I don't know what to tell you about the earplugs. I got some at the store and maybe I don't know how to put them in right, but they kept popping out and not doing much good. I do hope you have a fun time at the game.

Sue
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Mary 117

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 01:40:58 pm »
Hi. Deb. Have lots of fun. You can try the hardware store for pretty good, inexpensive earplugs. I can't remember the type I get but they're squishy and come in different colors for different levels of volume control. I wear a medium level for symphony rehearsals and I sit in front of the the very loud trombone section. Avoid the marching band at all costs!

Mary
2cm AN middle fossa, HEI, Dr Brackmann, 05-25-05
2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 01:49:47 pm »
That was a great game!  I just went to a pro game, 68,000 or so folks, in the loudest stadium in the league, and did fine.  Ear plugs are a good thing.  Have a great time!!!!!!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
    • mytooma - the acoustic neuroma blog
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 10:08:15 am »
From a Michigan State Spartan (Michigan's Rival) I'd like to thank you for making the Wolverines a big joke around here. On another note, I went to a Michigan State football game a few weeks ago and the stadium is loud (seats about 78,000) but I didn't have that much of a problem. I just made sure my friend that i went with was sitting on my "good" side, otherwise, it was great.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 11:31:46 am »
Oh, no, I'm in BIG trouble now!  Michigan and Appalachian State alums both on this forum! And to make it worse, my boss is a Michigan alum also!

I'm SO embarassed to say that my team (dare I mention it) Notre Dame totally stinks this year.  I'm an alum of St. Mary's College, Notre Dame. 

Guess I'll have to hang my head in shame until next year - when hopefully ND will kick a**  ;D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 09:57:32 am »
My bragging rights are officially suspended. App State got whalloped by the Wofford Terriers in a very suprising upset on Saturday 31-41. 3 turnovers for touchdowns. Yuck. Kudos, though, for the strenghth of the colleges of the Southern Conference (Socon.)Oh well, back to the drawing board! Just wait till College Basketball Season starts and I sit in front of the TV with my Duke Cheerleader outfit on. Yep, including the pom poms. I'm totally insane during March Madness. Oy vey! (Learned that one from Phyll.)

Capt Deb 8)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 10:14:52 am by Captain Deb »

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 10:39:25 am »
I think the Wofford Terriers should have won simply because of their name - HOW CUTE  ;D
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 01:38:31 pm »
But my Michigan State Spartans march on, 4-0!

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 01:57:47 pm »
Bet alot of them Spartans were sportin' App State gear! All the printin' shops in Boone have been having all night printing sessions to fill orders from the midwest!

msuscottie

• Postie x 3
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 11:25:34 am »
I did see a few Appy St. t-shirts around the stadium   :)

lori67

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 12:29:49 pm »
Captain Deb - I see you have described yourself as a Wonky Head - but you strike me as a Parrot Head also...  Does that make the two of us Wonky Parrot Heads?  Well, as the song goes... "if we couldn't laugh we would all go insane..."  "Newbie" Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Dealy

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 01:04:45 pm »
Okay-I am from the State of Kansas. First of all the kansas City Chiefs are not my favorite team-never have been. I am a Pittsburg Steeler Fanatic. As a matter of fact I wore my Steeler hat when I had Radiation in Baltimore. As far as Basketball. I love our Kansas Jayhawks. Kansas University is undeafeated in football this year but really has played no real power house yet-and K-State-well I really do not care for the Wildcats. However-my Steelers are 3 and 0. Just thought while you were talking sports I would throw my Penny in the Ring also. Thanks Ron

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 01:31:20 pm »
Lori- I am a HUGE Buffett fan since forever (mid 70's) and belong to the Sarasota Club whan I am down there in the winter. Check this out!
http://www.radiomargaritaville.com/_listen/windows_hi.htm You can listen to all the concerts for free and Buffetesque music all day long on yer puter! But if you be a Parrothead you already must know about it and fer those what don't check it out.
My favorite commercial is that guy painting the name in the endzone and another guy walks up and says "Hey that's great, but who are the Chefs?" and he says "Great Googly moogly!" We'll see what happens when they play the Panthers. Are they in the same League? I don't know nuthin about no pro football. Just college.

Capt Deb 8)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 03:26:41 pm »
Hey, count me in as a "Wonky Parrothead" also.   :D