Author Topic: Recovery Issues  (Read 2852 times)

Catflower

Recovery Issues
« on: September 12, 2007, 07:06:52 am »
I'm almost 5 mos post surgery.  My facial nerve was a little impaired to begin with (not able to close my eye of smile on my right side), but that all resolved after a few weeks.  Recently I began to notice that my right eye felt dry when I woke up.  Now the right side of my mouth and tongue are numb.  Is this normal recovery?

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Recovery Issues
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 09:41:08 am »
Hi Catflower,
    I had some thankfully temporary facial issues after surgery, just as you did.  Your new symptoms sound rare rather than normal to me.  Please check in with your doctors and see what they have to say.  I hope the new symptoms are only transitory.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

OTO

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 09:09:39 pm »
Catflower
I'm almost at the 4-mos post op (10 more days), and over the past week to 10 days, I've notice that my left eye has been extremely dry when I wake up.   My facial nerve was stressed but I could close my eye (can't smile very well, but I never had a nice smile to begin with...). 

Work is going full blast (busy time of the year for me), so I haven't been sleeping that well.   I attribute the dry eye to poor sleeping habits. 

My mouth and tongue were weird right after surgery, but haven't gotten better.  I don't have the metallic taste, but I still have a salty taste under the left side of my tongue.  Some days my mouth feels different, but its only a subtle change...  I'm due for my periodic cholestral check-up with my regular doc, so I'm going to ask him about the symptoms, plus I have my annual eye check up in three weeks.

Catflower

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 10:37:17 am »
Catflower
I'm almost at the 4-mos post op (10 more days), and over the past week to 10 days, I've notice that my left eye has been extremely dry when I wake up.   My facial nerve was stressed but I could close my eye (can't smile very well, but I never had a nice smile to begin with...). 

Work is going full blast (busy time of the year for me), so I haven't been sleeping that well.   I attribute the dry eye to poor sleeping habits. 

My mouth and tongue were weird right after surgery, but haven't gotten better.  I don't have the metallic taste, but I still have a salty taste under the left side of my tongue.  Some days my mouth feels different, but its only a subtle change...  I'm due for my periodic cholestral check-up with my regular doc, so I'm going to ask him about the symptoms, plus I have my annual eye check up in three weeks.

Thanks for posting your experience.  I'm thinking maybe this is all part of the recovery process.  Like you the metallic taste is gone, but I still have a wierd taste.  I can't exactly describe it.  Maybe it is a little salty.

mykey

Recovery: sinus issues & nerve rehab
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 02:24:40 am »
My surgery was late April 06.  Unfortunately I spent a total of 5 1/2 weeks in ICU due to CSF leaks. I came home for the final time mid-june. I had numbness on the right side of my face from the day after surgery. As I have been recovering I have noticed that the sensations on my right side seemed to be slowly fading away. I almost was unaware of the numbness wearing off, but then I had a instance where I recogised how much better it had become.
Then "about" 3 weeks ago I noticed that the numbness had returned. Although not near as evident as it had first been. This was accopanied by a noticeable increase of sinus drainage. With some possible small amount of CSF included. The amount of drainage does not seem to be a real problem right now. And it only really occurs when I physically excert myself. The numbness is "waxing & weighning" but mostly weighning.
I was told to excpect this "up & down" with nerve recovery.

Mykey
Diagnosed  1/20/2007. Right side AN 2.5 cm
50yr, guitarist for 35 yrs.
Married w/10yr old son.
Translab 4/26/07 at Emory University performed by: Dr. Mattox & Dr. Olson
Surgery successful!
Extended time in ICU due to CSF leaks.