Author Topic: Transear compared to BAHA or other similar devices  (Read 6485 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Transear compared to BAHA or other similar devices
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 06:13:23 am »
Boppie -

thanks for your input and clarifiying the wire issue.

I, too, am a little put off by the drill, but think I can get around that feeling.  Afterall, I was originally put off by the retrosigmoid surgery and I got through that just fine.  From what I understand, the BAHA surgery is much less invasive than the retrosigmoid :)

I'm glad you like your TransEar.  It sounds like you made the right choice for you.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Pembo

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2007, 11:18:43 am »
I think the whole baha thing was around $14,000.

The surgery truly was EASY! I was very nervous and having at the same hospital where I had my surgery was quite unnerving. Having to revisit those memories of surgery day was tough. BUT it was easy. They started an IV, I was rolled into the OR, I went to sleep, I woke up about 45 mins later and within an hour I was on my way home.  The bandage was cumbersome but I got to take it off after the first night. That first night I had a horrible headache but I'm a wimp with pain meds so I was only taking otc tylenol and advil. The next day was just a low grade headache.

I have 3 kids so down time isn't something I get a lot of. I had surgery on a Friday, the kids were at my parents house for the weekend, and I was back to mom-duty by Monday.

As for my hair, they only shaved a very small section and it was unnoticable except to my hairdresser. I have shoulder length hair. My hairdresser has done an excellent job of cutting my layers to hide the BAHA. With my hair down, no one knows it is even there.

Please don't be put off by the surgery. It really was easy.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2007, 06:00:20 pm »
I tried both the Transear and the BAHA band at the Symposium.  I had good luck with the Transear, but couldn't get as good a bone conduction with the BAHA band....of course the real BAHA would do a much better job.  I think about both options, but there's one thing that stops me that I'm still trying to work out.  I don't like sound now, and I'm worried that more sound will just make me feel worse.  Did any of you feel that way about ambient noise before you got the devices?  Did it help or make it worse?  If I'm around too much sound like a noisy restaurant, I end up going home and putting on my noise cancellation headphones and try to get it as quiet as possible. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Boppie

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2007, 07:19:29 pm »
Gennysmom,  When I use any type of noise caceller or ear plug I try to do so for very short periods.  I think my brain could become too comfortable in silence.  Too much quiet is not good for me.