Author Topic: Transear compared to BAHA or other similar devices  (Read 6484 times)

bpham

Transear compared to BAHA or other similar devices
« on: September 08, 2007, 10:16:34 pm »
How is transear compared to BABA and other similar devices? 

Thanks for sharing any experiences.

1cm AN on the left side.  Surgery was on Oct 2007 at HEI.  Currently having issue with it, may be a CFS leak.  Not feeling too well.

marg

Re: Transear compared to BAHA or other similar devices
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 11:35:37 pm »
   I would like to know too - as this coming week I will be seeing my ENT (he did part of my AN surgery) and I want to talk to him about my options.  I am really interested in the Trans Ear because there is no surgery involved.  I have had enough of that (for the rest of my life as far as I'm concerned).

Margaret
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

Pembo

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 04:21:55 pm »
Cant compare transear for you but I have a BAHA. The surgery was my biggest fear and it truly was EASY! I'm very glad I did it and I like my BAHA.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

bpham

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 05:48:51 pm »
Pembo,

Could you describe the process of installation and also the experience of maintaining the thing?  Was there any issue?  How is the hearing on the SSD with it compared to when you had your normal hearing?

Thanks for any detailed info.
1cm AN on the left side.  Surgery was on Oct 2007 at HEI.  Currently having issue with it, may be a CFS leak.  Not feeling too well.

Boppie

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 08:24:38 pm »
To get the TransEAr you need to have a few things checked out about the bone density in your ear canal.  Plus your hearing scores in the middle and lower ranges need to be good.  These tests are done by your audiologist who orders a fitting kit from TransEAr.  A mold is made of your ear canal.  Then TransEAr builds a unit to specifications for your ear.  The unit, programming software, and a Dry and Store cleaning box are sent to your audiologist for the fitting appointment.  From there you work with the audiologist to get a comfortable fit, programming for two different settings, and instructions on inserting the mold, caring for the unit and what to expect for break in time.   Most users come out with a great fit the first go round, I think.  After a few weeks of use, my TransEar became a part of everyday life.

Check out the TransEar site. I am just a user, not into sales or promotions.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 09:23:49 pm by Boppie »

Boppie

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 08:35:16 pm »
There is no substitue for direction finding in any hearing aid.  But, once you get comfortable to using an aid and benefitting  from sound on your deaf side again, you get over being bothered by being SSD.  In the beginning I was constantly confounded by the direction problem.  Now I just have to chuckle.  Things could be worse.  I could have serious vison loss and really be up a creek.  Being able to converse with a person on my deaf side is so much better now with a hearing aid.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 08:36:06 pm »
Boppie -

can you give us a run down of some of the pros and cons of a TransEar?  It seems to me from what I've read on this forum, that the wires on the TransEar can sometimes be a problem, but maybe that's just my perception since I don't have one.  I would also find it helpful to know why you chose a TransEar over a BAHA, as right now I am leaning towards the BAHA myself.  I know that everyone makes different choices but I'd be very interested in knowing how you made your decision.

Thank you,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

marg

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 08:39:24 pm »
Great question Jan.  I would like to know too.
Margaret
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

bpham

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 09:16:03 pm »
Boppie,

I'm a bit unclear about what you said: "Plus your hearing scores in the middle and lower ranges need to be good".  In the case that I'll have Translab procedure, my hearing would be gone on the left side, and therefore there would be no hearing left on the AN side.  Is it possible to use TRANSEAR? 

Thanks

bpham

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 09:16:57 pm »
Also, I forgot to ask the approximate price for Transear?

Jeanlea

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 06:51:45 pm »
I also chose to go the TransEar way.  I'm sort of young (44) and I figure that there may be even better products in the future.  I don't want to have something permanently attached to my head.  The hearing aid is much easier to use.  Nothing is as good as your regular hearing was, but it is nice to be able to gather sounds from the deaf side.  I can carry on a conversation with someone on my deaf side with no problem now.  TransEar is very easy to work with, too.  I think the cost varies depending on your audiologist.  Mine was $2400.  Some are closer to $2900.  It's a lot of money, but far cheaper than the BAHA. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Pembo

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 06:58:15 pm »
My BAHA was covered by insurance. The surgery was easy. They took me into the OR, put me to sleep and I woke up about 45 mins later and was home by lunch with a bandage on my head. I had a low-grade headache for a week or so. The most pain I had was the night of surgery and I just used otc Tylenol and Advil. As for the headache, just otc Tylenol for me.  Maintaining it is easy. I just wash my hair. Once in awhile I have my husband look at the abutment and occasionally it's sore so I put some neosporin on it over night and it's fine.

My biggest complaint was all the "junk" in my hair from surgery....the ointment. It took a lot of hair washing with Dawn detergent to get all the grease out. :)

Three months later I got my "lego" to snap on the abutment in my head. I've had no problems with it. It works great, it's not perfect hearing but it definitely helps.  I don't always realize I'm wearing it, but if I forget to put it on, I definitely notice. The BAHA snaps on and off with ease.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask any specific questions........
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 07:04:38 pm »
I also chose to go the TransEar way.  It's a lot of money, but far cheaper than the BAHA. 

Jean

Jean or any other BAHA user -

can you give us the approximate cost of the BAHA (surgery included)?  I'm just looking for a ballpark figure.

Thanks,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Boppie

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 09:05:39 pm »
Oh gosh! words can be tough, huh? 
After translab you'd wear a hearing aid on the deaf ear to pick up the sound and it would be sent either by bone or air conduction to the good side (remaining hearing ear).

For a TransEar hearing bone conduction aid...
Your hearing ear side needs good scores in the low and medium ranges to get the best benefit from TransEar;  to say in another way, if your hearing scores poor in only the high range, you can still benefit from TransEar, because TransEar works with the low and mid ranges. 

Boppie,

I'm a bit unclear about what you said: "Plus your hearing scores in the middle and lower ranges need to be good".  In the case that I'll have Translab procedure, my hearing would be gone on the left side, and therefore there would be no hearing left on the AN side.  Is it possible to use TRANSEAR? 

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 09:54:58 am by Boppie »

Boppie

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 09:21:19 pm »
Jan,  I believe you read about wires coming off some TransEar units.  I think those problems are straightened out now.  I, myself, have a new soft wire for my early model TransEar to replace the older hard wire.  While it took some getting used to grasping the unit just right with the soft wire dangling, I've mastered the insertion again.  I find the new soft wire to be a better conductor and making louder sound for me.  I am very happy with the new wire.  I had a thread about 'TransEar gets better every day'; and again, I repeat...

We look forward to newer and better changes.

What I would like is a gizmo that is teeny, tiney, added to my TransEAr that would alert me in some fashion for sound directionality.  Maybe some day.   :)

Why did I choose the TransEar over BAHA?  I just didn't want the drill, the head pain, and anesthetic again so soon after my tumor surgery.  That's it in a nutshell.  TransEar is not invasive.  BAHA might be less visible, but my friends mention when I don't have my TransEar in my ear, so I think they like it.  I think my SSD is some sort of goofy symbol for them.   ;D

I rather like my hearing aid in the ear.