Author Topic: 7-weeks post op today  (Read 16023 times)

Rhonda

7-weeks post op today
« on: October 05, 2005, 10:54:01 am »
Well today marks 7-weeks since surgery (translab) for me.  I'm doing incredibly well.  But I have a few
problems that I'd like your comments on.  I don't want to go back to work until I know I'm all better.
I do not want to chance a relapse.  Here is what is still going on...

--I still have residual facial paralysis/numbness (My face responds about 85%)
--My AN-side (right) eye closes but does not blink all the way.  This is my number 1
problem, as it can be painful and annoying all day long.
--Blurry vision.  Writing this message is hard.  I go back to the opthomologist 10/31.
--My handwriting is terrible--and I'm a third grade teacher!  It's getting better, but
I've never heard of people having problems like this.
--Sleeping.  In order to get a good night's sleep, I still need sleeping pills.  My head
hurts like a bruise and my body aches when I lay down.  How long do you feel the
incision?  How long until you slept on your AN side?

All in all, I feel lucky.  I'm excited about the progress that I've made.  I have an
appointment tomorrow with my neuotologist.  Should I bring up anything special
to him?  It's Dr. Rick Friedman with the House Ear Clinic for those of you that know
him. 

Thanks for your input,
Rhonda

Jeff

Re: 7-weeks post op today
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 11:32:32 am »
Hi Rhonda,
A fellow teacher here! I am a middle school teacher-librarian. As you know, Dr. Friedman is great. I have NF2 and Dr. Friedman follows my case. He and Dr. Hitselberger removed one of my AN's in 2003. We are following the other closely. I think it is reasonable to ask Dr. Friedman the questions you posted and any others you might think of. I keep a running list so that I remember my questions when Dr. Friedman calls. I did not have your sleep problems. Mine resolved after a week or so. I slept on my AN side very shortly after my surgery - probably within a week. I had no pain at that point. I do not have facial paralysis, but do suffer from a dry eye. My problem was virtually solved by a punctum plug that was put in by my opthomalogist. You may want to ask your opthomologist about that. I am sure that you know it is very important to take care of your eye.
Best wishes,
Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 01:13:47 pm »
Sounds like the same troubles as me .. use Laci-lube during day if you have too .. it makes your vision VERY bad, but at least your eyes feel better  ...also ask about a stoke ... that would explain poor hand coordination (my writing is also like a child). I dont have any pain and I can sleep on that side. its the dry eye that also bothers me the most..

Joe
4 cm removed at House
Aug 9,2005
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Pembo

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 08:08:31 pm »
Hi Rhonda. My handwriting after surgery was terrible. My OT had my practice to regain my strength. I started by coloring with crayons, then practicing the alphabet.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

JHager

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 04:28:31 pm »
Hi all,

Another teacher hear - high school physics.  I've asked this before, but there sure seem to be a lot of teachers with ANs.  Probably has to do with No Child Left Behind.

Anyway, I too will need my handwriting, as I use the whiteboard constantly.  I'm having my 3cm right AN removed via translab on November 7.

My only question is this: What if my handwriting is already terrible?

Hang in there, everyone!

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

Joef

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 06:11:17 pm »

then it wont get any better !!!! ... ;D

most do not have hand problems ... but if you do, Pembo OT gave the right advice .. pracitice , pracitice , pracitice and it will get better ..

Joe
4cm removed at house
Aug 9,2005
baha on Nov 17,2005

viejita

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005, 06:35:18 pm »
Still another teacher--high school Spanish.  however, just retired in July.
I had rotator cuff repair 3 years ago and had to write with my left hand ( I;m right handed) for 6 weeks.
My an is as yet untreated due to problems with my insurance.  it is 2cm on the left side. have very slight hearing loss but do have dizzines and balance problems.  I'm trying to get it zapped if my ins. ever decides to let me.  I've filed an appeal.
I year ago I had a really bad fall, in the classroom with 30 teenagers as my audience.  Landed on my butt and cracked my head on the computer counter at the back of the room.  The whole class heard my head hit the counter  lol!  I didn't know then about" the invader" but I'm sure the fall was related

Susi

kimmy

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 07:37:09 am »
Hi, an English secretary here also 7 weeks post-op (trans-lab). I have trouble with my eye but use Lacrilube a couple of times a day. Blurry vision but no pain. I can just wipe my fingertip across the lids and it clears for a while. I have slept on the AN side for the last 3 weeks and it's OK but the scar has started to ache, a stinging feeling really, just recently and I bravely looked in the mirror behind me yesterday and found quite a large indentation behind my ear.Has everyone got one?  I hope to go back to work in three weeks' time and I am able to drive now when my vision is clear of course. I've had my first follow up at the Manchester Royal Infirmary and they were very pleased with me. My face is Grade 3  a month after leaving hospital ( was Grade 4 when I left hospital). I still drink through a straw as I dribble otherwise!  My AN was only 1.5cms so I think I was very lucky. It's very helpful to read of other people's experiences and thank you. :)
1.5cm. Translab at Manchester Royal Infirmary. August 2005

Joef

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 09:50:27 am »

A dent in your head? .. I have a dent at the baha site, but no other dents.

Joe
4cm removed at house
Aug 9 , 2005

okiesandy

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 02:21:35 pm »
Rhonda,

How large was your AN? What method of surgery?  Also, I read in one of your pre-op. posts that HEI was out of network for you. How did you get them to change their minds?  My ins. co. and I are going round and round. I have submitted some things to them that show the stats. and the recovery time as opposed to our local guys. I know even HEI has some problems from time to time so I am just wondering about size. Does everyone have this dry eye problem post op?
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 04:43:42 pm »
Hi Sandy and all,
I definately have the dry eye problem. I use the ointment two or three times daily because the drops just wont help me. Hope all is going well since our last chat. :) Sherry
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

Pembo

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2005, 07:46:53 pm »
I've been using Lacrilube everyday since my surgery 16 months ago. The drops just aren't enough. I can use them but I need to put them in at least 2x's an hour. With the lube, I can go about 6 hours.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

Cheryl R

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 03:10:36 pm »
   In the discussion having to use a gel, have you tried Celluvisc and Refresh Liquigel?    These don't leave yiou quite as blurry  as the gel.    They are heavier than  just "tears" and were a god send  when I had dry eye past my surgery.    My dry eye was only for 3 1/2 months  but under rare condition can feel a bit dry even yet.     Maybe use a drop every couple weeks now.   
   These may be ones you've tried but some people occ don't realize there are tears and then heavier drops.        Gets to be a bit expensive with trying to see what works the best for each person.                                 Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

luv2teachsped

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 06:20:23 pm »
Hi Rhonda:  I just received my Genteal eye gel through the mail.  It works a lot better than eye drops.  Someone posted the web address here for me.  You can get through a Canadian website, www.feelbest.com.  It is expensive, but it lasts longer than the drops, so you don't use as much.  I am still using the lacrilube at night, which blurs your vision, but who cares since you're sleeping?!  And that dent , yes I have one too!!  Small price to pay I guess!    :Dluv2teachsped
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

matti

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 07:08:01 pm »
Kimmy - I am now 7 years post-op and and I have a large "dent/depression" on my AN surgery side. It first appeared 4 weeks after surgery and my surgeons said "it happens" and told me not to worry about it. I had the middle fossa approach used and my AN was 3.5cm. I hate to touch the area because it feels weird, kind of a tingley sensation.

matti
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50