Author Topic: 7-weeks post op today  (Read 16022 times)

Cheryl R

Re: 7-weeks post op today
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2005, 07:24:14 am »
  After reading the post yesterday where a person told the person having surgery here very soon that you will have extreme vertigo that we need to be careful how we report what our own post op symptoms were as it can vary widely from person to person.       I had no vertigo what so ever even though I know many may have some from mild to the extreme.       Part of how we react post op is how our body has compensated before surgery.      I also happen to be one who reacts to anesthetia by being "out" for longer than normal and have almost no memory of even being in ICU and even the next 2 days post op was very sleepy.   My biggest feeling afterwards was feeling weak as had no appetite for a week.      I was very lucky in walking easily without assistance after the first 2 or 3 times up which I also know varies from person to person.       I discovered that I did have the spacy off balance feel when went outside for the first time and in stores and malls.   That did improve over time after making myself be active in those settings.
I agree with those about getting the post op care can be difficult as regular family Drs and even some ENT's have no clue about them.           I was lucky that my surgeons nurse was very good to answer questions.                                        Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

debora

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2005, 05:06:46 pm »
I agree that people have different outcomes following surgery or radiation treatments, but I also feel like we need to let each other know our experiences and how we handle them.  When I got extremely sick from radiation I really felt quite desperate, I can't even begin to tell you how bad it was. My doctors here had never seen someone get so sick and said the radiation didn't cause  this.  My second doctors at the Mayo said it was the cause of it.  My husband found the website for AN and we got the email addresses from people who said we could email them for support.  I was only able to find two people who had a few symptoms of mine.   I honestly thought I was dying or at the very least so sick that I was never going to get better,  I could hardly walk on my own .   I think it is so important to let others know what can happen, maybe it won't happen to them but if it does than they are prepared for it, it could help to relieve some of the stress of going through this.

shoegirl

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2005, 05:57:52 pm »
Debora,

What kind of radiation did you have?  I am considering CK and was wondering if that was the kind you had?  Any of other symptoms?

Thanks! Suzanne
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

kristin

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2005, 08:25:55 pm »
hi all. i have just started reading these posts today and thought i'd add my own input.

1) yes, i had extremely dry eye, had bilateral plugs put in (left eye (AN side) had 2 plugs, right eye had one plug), this caused my left eye to be extremly goopy and i was blessed when one of the plugs fell out on its own. the optamologist prescribed restasis and i only have to put in regular eye drops in a couple time a week instead of a couple times an hour.

2) i had middle fossa and i too have an indention where the incision was. i have called the neurosurgeon here (not the guy who did the surgery though) and he says it's normal..but it's still wierd

3) i went back to work after 6 weeks. i felt great after 4 and kinda felt guilty that i took a 2 week vacation. BUT...that first week back to work made me feel like days 5 and 6 after surgery again. in other words...i felt like c-r-a-p. it got better after that first week and now it's hard to believe i've been back to work over 5 months.

8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2005, 01:01:15 am »
Kristin,

I had MF surgery but don't have any indentation. They removed fat from my abdomen (i have plenty to spare) to fill the void in my head. Did they do this to you?

Larry
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

kristin

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2005, 09:31:00 am »
hi larry, yes they did..and now i have a nice 2 inch scar on my abdomen...like you, they didn't quite take enough! :)

kristin
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Terrie

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2005, 10:28:57 am »
Matt,
I see my ENT doctor every year for a follow up. I have a MRI done at this time also. He doesn't really say much when we have a visit. I guess I don't really ask alot of questions. I think that is the kind of surgery I had. It happened so fast I don't remember much. I was very out of it by the time they realized what was wrong - I didn't know the year, the president or anything!  I had approx. a week to deal with everything that was being told to me. Then it was out of surgery and I had a whole new set of things to try to deal with.  :-\

Wow!!  I really feel guilty  :'( It took me almost a year to be able to go back to work!
Terrie

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2005, 10:36:43 am »
Terrie, Don't feel guilty at all. I am a little over three months since surgery and still not able to do all the things I did before. However, I do believe I will get there soon. We all recover at different rates and we all have similar and different symptoms to deal with.
I also am glad to see people posting the truthful things that "can" happen so others won't feel so scared when they similar symptoms. Being able to find others here that have experienced the same things I have has been a great help to me. For a little while after my surgery I felt so alone. Then someone started the Depression thread. After reading and posting there I felt so much better.
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

LaMar

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2005, 11:37:14 am »
i have heard a lot about the house clinc and i noticed that some people just have them involved or tracking there cases.  i am military and was given a doctor near where i am stationed without any other options is there a way to contact the house clinic and see what they think of my condition?
LaMar Resch
US Army
3.5cm tumor in right side
Removed 5 Dec 2005 @ MUSC by
Dr. Lambert

shoegirl

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2005, 11:45:53 am »
LaMar,

You can contact the The House Clinic and if you send them your films & reports they will give you their opinion.  I think the information you would need to set this up is on their website.  I have heard they are excellent if you decide to go the surgical route.

I am very sorry to hear that you have to go through this alone.  But you have found the right place, everyone that is apart of this forum is very supportive and they have a wealth of knowledge to share.

I wish you all the best!

Suzanne 
left side 2.0cm x 1.3cm  
Cyberknife - 12/2005
The Barrow Institute, Phoenix, AZ

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2005, 12:03:16 pm »

Here are the numbers for House http://www.houseearclinic.com/contact.htm
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

debora

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2005, 04:47:16 am »
Suzanne, 

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply.  I had the Novalis unit used on me, they screw a halo to your head and then do a cat scan, then they use the newest MRI and overlap the two so they can get a very accurate measurement and shape of the tumor.  After a few hours of planning they bolt the halo (with your head still in it ha ha) to the table and start the radiation. They believed that we should do it with one dose of radiation so they did 13gy which is the maximum that I can ever have, if this thing starts to grow again then it will have to be surgically removed.  They went in at 5 different areas of the head all aiming at the tumor.  I was pretty dopey from two doses of valium but I believe it was under 1/2 hour for the radiation.  Start to finish it was only about 5 hours.
 My symptons are vertigo (not always severe), change in taste, some nausia, and because of all of this depression.  Not every one has these problems, please do what you think is right.  I am constantly second guessing my decision and need to come to terms with it, there is nothing I can do about it now.  The best part of all of this is my faith in God, and my relationships  have gotten stronger.   What ever your decision is it has to be your decision. 
Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless you and your family.     
Deb

wind6

• Winch Wench ;)
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2005, 12:14:29 pm »
Deb, Just wanted to share with you that I to keep second guessing my decision, but what is done, is done. Sometimes I read about radiation treatments and it sounds so much easier that I wish that was the way I had gone. I will never know if the choice I made was right or wrong so I am doing the best I can with what I have. I am still improving and feeling better each day so maybe I did choose the right path for me.
Happy Thanksgiving to you all and as always...you have my thoughts and prayers. Sherry
2.5cm x 3.1cm facial nerve neuroma
removed 8-2-2005(retrosigmoid)
St.Johns Hospital-Springfield,Illinois
Dr.Michael McIlhany and Dr.Carol Bauer
Wait n' watch mode for 8 years.
Gamma Knife at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Chicago,IL. Dr. James P. Chandler. July 10, 2013.

debora

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2005, 05:34:53 pm »
Thanks Sherry, I guess we do what we think is right, I can't think any of us would chose to harm ourselves if we had known what the out come would be.  Unfortunately for some there isn't a choice as to what kind of treatment they can have.
 Take care.  Deb