Author Topic: asthma  (Read 2420 times)

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
asthma
« on: August 27, 2007, 05:00:17 pm »
Anyone out there suffer from asthma.? I think I had an asthma attack at work this morning.  We had a terrible storm Friday night and the basement flooded.  A restoration company has been in, but the water backed up from the city storm sewer and flooded the boardroom and lunch room.  The smell was unbelievable.  As soon as I entered the building I started coughing and my chest is still very tight.  My head start to swim, not to mention the neuralgia started.  I had to stay in the back parking lot.  The new GM and my supervisor knew I was in trouble and sent me home.

Does anyone find coughing can set a headache off? 

Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: asthma
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 05:49:44 pm »
I'm not doctor, but in my opinion, it's certainly possible you have asthma.  When I was a kid asthma was basically diagnosed by wheezing and difficulty breathing, but when my son was 3, he was diagnosed with something called cough variant asthma.

Basically his symptoms were coughing fits generally brought on by poor air quality - his father (my ex) is a heavy smoker.  My son's symptoms totally disappeared when his father moved out of our house and since they no longer have contact, the asthma isn't an issue anymore.

You might want to have it checked out. 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 07:30:51 pm »
I have had asthma most of my life...set off by many things...smoke ,mold, dust and even
very cold air... in the winter I cover my mouth with a scarf and breath through it to warm air...

I am 8 weeks post op and a cough or sneeze can send me for pain killers bigger than Tylonal
and to  bed at this point...luckily have had no asthma attacks since surgery
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 12:41:54 pm »
I had pneumonia this winter accompanied by bad coughing which triggered some of the nastiest brainwrecks ever. The doc gave me cough syrup with hyrocodone  ($75.oo) but you can get cheap hydrocodone pills for $10 and take robitussin CF for the same effect for way cheaper.  Ask your doc. The first sign of a chest cold for me, I go running to the doc if I don't have those hyrocodone tabs. They usually give me a bunch and I have some left over. I CAN'T cough. It's torture for me.

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 09:59:09 am »
In response to your ? re: coughing and headache.....yes, I have brought on (just the other day) a whopper of a headache.  It started with a sneeze where my eyes felt as though they were bulging from their sockets, to waking in the middle of the night for no reason (means head pain soon come), then by morning felt swelling sensation in occiput region and wham--major head pain.  Took ibuprofen (800 mgs plus 400 mgs before bed).  This seemed to remedy the monster.  Days before this headache I brought on similar one while coughing due to inhaling liquid down the windpipe.  This one did not roar it's ugly head past 30 minutes. 

I heard at the recent Symposium from Dr. Silberstein (spelling ?) expert in field of headaches, coughing, sneezing, exercise induced headaches can be sign of CSF pressure problem or perhaps Chiari I syndrome.  I have not seen anyone as of yet for this problem as I am awaiting response from doc regarding another problem.  One problem at a time is all I can handle now as I'm in Germany until mid September visiting our daughter and son-in-law and their, "Ahem, our new grandaughter!" 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 10:15:09 am »
Try to let the cough or sneeze rip .. and dont hold back ..

when we try to hold the sneeze the muscles tighten up .. and helps trigger the headache!
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital