Author Topic: recommend doctors at John Hopkins?  (Read 3994 times)

Peggy

recommend doctors at John Hopkins?
« on: August 23, 2007, 08:27:34 am »
To make a long story shorter, someone close to me told me that John Hopkins was on the top list of best hospitals in ent,  my question is any recommendation to which doc I should see, I am thinking about the GK, I have an appt in oct at Jeff Univ for a hearing test and to get another MRI evaluated,  If I choose GK, does it really make that much of a difference as to where it is done, yes I know the more experience the better, but dont you think one place is as good as the other in this area?  I live in south jersey so I dont think going to John Hopkins is that big of a deal,  I thought jeff univ was good but that didnt even make the top 50 on this list,  is that really bad?  Am I over thinking this?

any opinions would help!!!

Peggy

FlyersFan68

Re: recommend doctors at John Hopkins?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 09:35:08 am »
Hi Peggy,
 I am from So. Jersey too. I grew up in Philly. Dr. Andrews at Jeff has a long track record with radiation. I see his name on research papers from time to time. They see a lot of AN's @ Jeff. Of course you have HUP ...don't forget Univ. of Pitts. I had surgery for my AN but just wanted to make you aware of nearby treatment facilities. They recently opened up a CK facility in Philly that you may not be aware of...   http://www.phillycyberknife.com/why/
Errors can happen with radiation too so find a place YOU are comfortable with.
Good Luck.

mema

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 03:27:56 pm »
Dr. Andrews at Jeff is very good.  I know when I went for a consultation 2 yrs ago,  they were even using less rads with good results.  I would check them out.  I would heve had treatment there, but it was closer to go to Orlando for me.                                                                                                                   

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 08:48:49 am »
Peggy,
  Think of the radiation treatments machines as a high tech scalpel.  It is only as good as the "hands" that program out the treatment(s).  The same machine can be programed to target different three dimentional areas, and programed with differing amounts of radiation.  The more experiance with treating ANs with that machine the better.  Through experience and research they can fine tune their treatment regimens with the feedback from the effects and effectiveness of past treatments.  Good luck with your research.
Regards,
 Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Hip

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 02:24:25 pm »
Best surgeons at Johns Hopkins to treat AN:

Dr. Rafael Tamargo - neurosurgeon and Dr. John Patrick Carey - ENT surgeon are the best.  Both took their times inexplaining to me about different types of surgery, the post-op problems, etc.  They did a fine job with me (8 hours operation on Monday and I was home on Saturday).  After I came home, Doctor Tamargo continued to contact me at least once a week for 4 weeks to follow-up on my progress.

Note:  Dr. Tamargo was one of the surgeons who operated on the German Siamese twins (joined at the head) a few years ago.  The 30-hours operation was successful.  However, one of the twins later died.   The surviving one is doing real well. He has succesfully operated over 300 AN to date (0% mortality).

Me and my Schwanno

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 01:39:30 am »
Peggy,

I was treated at Johns Hopkins from 2006 (wait and see approach) and in June 2007 (fractionated stereotactical radiation).  Your contact for this program would be Daniele Rigamonti MD.  I'd be happy to share my experiences with you via e-mail or this forum.

Dann
Left vestibular schwannoma diagnosed Feb. 2006, radiotherapy Jun. 2007 at Johns Hopkins, 1.2 x 1 x 1.6