Author Topic: A device specifically to help balance  (Read 6847 times)

jerseygirl

A device specifically to help balance
« on: August 08, 2007, 07:33:40 pm »
Hello everybody,

Here is a device specifically to help balance. Is it for ANers? NF-2s? Can you do periodic MRIs with it implanted?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/08/070806112548.htm

What does everybody think?

Eve

Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Desilu

Re: A device specifically to help balance
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 07:43:48 pm »
Hi Eve,

What an interestng article, it sounds promising. That would definitly help a lot of people. Now the trick is to get it approved and make it smaller. Thanks for the information.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

Windsong

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 07:45:35 pm »
Wow... and under a millisecond too.....

Thanks,
W.

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 05:27:16 am »
Very interesting article.  It's funny how a lot of articles about hearing aides and other developing aides don't mention AN's.  I wonder if it is because there is a difference in the stability of the region where the AN is or what?
Brendalu
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

jerseygirl

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 07:03:45 am »
Brendalu,

Nobody mentions AN, you are right. Also, nobody is concerned with periodic MRIs but that would be the problem with everybody since now there is such reliance on MRIs.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

lora

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 07:44:53 am »
Maybe noody mentions us because we are such a rare breed???  Too bad we aren't an endagered species,eh??
4.7cm x all over my head, filling 4th ventricle, squashing the brainstem
translab by the awesome Dr.Tomaras 4/12/07
retrosigmoid, Drs. Tomaras and Steuer 6/4/07
GK in Oct. for the little bit left?
2007--the year of the head "what a long, strange trip it's been"

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 11:58:20 am »
 Facinating!
Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 04:54:29 pm »
Wow, that's interesting....I was just about to post something else I found on balance, so I will keep it in here.  It is a new device as well.  Then there's also the brainport.   Anyone out there tried any of these?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/08/10/stroke.treatment.ap/index.html

Eve, I find it really interesting in your article about orientation, because I feel that's my main issue....get too many moving objects around me and I become disoriented and that makes me lurch to the right...it's not at all vertigo or lack of balance, if that makes sense. 
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

jerseygirl

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 07:13:19 pm »
It makes perfect sense and we can exercise only so much before it eats away at our personal time. This article really hits it on the nose while desribing what people with cut vestibular nerve feel.

jerseygirl

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 07:22:11 pm »
Gennysmom,

The article you posted is fascinating. No, I haven't tried any of these devices, just good old fashioned Yoga, Pilates, treadmill and free weghts but you have to be regimented with exercise. Too much and you get headache, too litle and it does not work.

Eve

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 11:41:19 am »
Eve - yes, and add working full time post microsurgery in the mix, and let me tell you, exercise is hit and miss.  I can do stuff for a week, then I crash, pick myself up at some point, try again, crash.....it's a bad cycle.  I'm in crash mode right now.  2 weeks ago I probably put about 20 miles walking in.  Today I couldn't get a mile done.   Tomorrow, who knows?  One day at a time!!!   ;)
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

NF-2er

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 10:02:34 am »
Hi Eve;

Thank you...
   I had seen the device advertized soon after JHH released it's study information to publications and maybe the press.
   My feeling is the device sounds very promising and exciting, especially to younger folk whether with AN or other type ear problem.
   I also feel if the device is ever released by the US FDA, it will literally floor Wicab Corp. and their "Brain Port". Of course the FDA has not released Brain port to the US public that I'm aware of, but are continuing their studies. Brain Port can be purchased in Canada and EU, I believe.
   Have a great week!

NF-2er