Author Topic: Headaches triggered by smell  (Read 7343 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Headaches triggered by smell
« on: August 07, 2007, 08:19:59 am »
Anyone have headaches triggered by smell?

I have gotten a headache chopping onions , after husband sprayed air freshener , when daughter
came through with new birthday perfume on , pumping gas in my truck... none of these bother
me before , but now smells seem to be triggering mild to moderate headaches ... even the smell
of my shampoo bothers me and I have used it for several years...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Boppie

Re: Headaches triggered by smell
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 09:41:40 am »
Post op, certain smells bother me so much that I get very agitated and have to leave the area.  I don't get headaches though; I become nauseous, and my taste buds crash.  I have read that smells are triggers for migraines in many people.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 11:02:28 am by Boppie »

Soundy

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 02:41:00 pm »
I get nauseated first then the headache... I have a constant metalic taste in my
mouth that the doctor thinks will clear over time and haven'e notice change in it
 ... I have had to just leave areas too... only pumped $15 of gas and had husband
take my truck next day and fill it on up... that worked out OK... it took $#8 more to fill it
and it was on him  :D

I guess I need a nose clip to go with the ear plugs  :) ...just another
weird little problem to deal with
Translab July 2 ,2007

Soundy

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 04:11:00 pm »
That should have said took $38 more to fill...

Translab July 2 ,2007

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 10:32:45 am »
My headache Wizard has a big sign in his office that askes patients not to wear perfumes or scented body lotions to their appointments as some patients have headaches triggered by smells.  Soundy you are having pretty obvious migraine symptoms that should be reported to your neurologist--my suggestion would be to start journalling your headaches on a daily basis and include what you ate, smelled, activity, stressors, etc. This helped me greatly in finally getting a diagnosis and getting on the path to finding the help I needed to get past these beasts.

BTW Soundy, with so many newbies around, are you pre-treat or a postie? You can post your particulars in you signature line in your forum profile. The Welcome message has instructions.

Be Well and Sail On,
Capt Deb 8)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 10:43:32 am by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Soundy

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 03:20:16 pm »
I am 5 weeks post translab...

I already have left sided migraines , but they have never been triggered by smell and stay
to the left side of head... I thankfully have them under control and have not had one since
surgery... these have been since surgery and end up involving whole head... especially AN side...
I am learning all kinds of things make my head hurt and keeping notes...
Translab July 2 ,2007

Betsy

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 04:35:23 pm »
I've had migraines all my life and they can definitely be triggered by smell.  Evening in Paris perfume is one for me, and the scent of Fresh Step cat litter (unused).  Also neon colors, especially pink and green (had a lot of migraines in the 80's).  Captain Deb is right, keeping a headache diary will help you identify your triggers so you can avoid them.

Thankfully, the closer I get to 50, the less often I'm getting painful migraines.  That's ONE good thing that comes with age!

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 09:56:55 am »
Betsey--Good choice on the zapping.  My mother had migraines and so did I pre-surgery, but not very severe.  The surgery kicked them into super-overdrive. Had I known that could happen I would certainly have chosen less-incvasive surgery.  That information was never presented to me.  The ANA will be posting a survey on the after-effects of AN treatment from which they hope to gather data and make things like that available to patients.

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Rc Moser

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 06:33:27 pm »
Certain Prefumes can cause headaches. :o especially the ones that leave a wake or trail for 5 mins.   :D  Not knocking prefumes, but I work close to an Isle and have been trained to watch for certain people walking by. :-X :-X  when they come down the Isle I immediately turn on the overhead fan on  to weaken the aftermath.  8) :o
9/17/03, 4.5CM, Translab, OU Medical Center, Dr. (the ear man) Saunders and Dr. B. (the BrainMAN) Wilson  along with about 4 other Doctors that keep me going for 18 hours.

Victoriah1999

• CM Indy
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 09:51:25 pm »
OMG, I can smell certain things and almost FEEL the neurons snapping away.  hehe
Anything strong.  Offensive.  Or not even offensive, just strong!  WTH??

Sheryl

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 05:58:45 pm »
Hey Betsey - "Evening in Paris"!!  WOW that brings back memories.  Are they even making it any more?  We had a friend who would experience a minty taste in her mouth and then a headache and one doctor thought they were focal seizures???
Sheryl
9th cranial nerve schwannoma - like an acoustic neuroma on another nerve. Have recently been told it could be acoustic neuroma. Only 7 mm of growth in 18 years. With no symptoms. Continuing W&W

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 05:31:14 am »
Wow, after reading through this let me throw a "wrench" into this subject (even though I was taught not to throw heavy metal objects incase I hurt someone).....years before surgery I would have severe allergic asthma attacks from various smells which became increasingly frequent.  I stopped using perfume for 4 years then after surgery (here's the wrench) I am able to wear perfume, be around people with strong odors (perfume included) and also able to withstand wifs of gasoline, diesel, ammonia, bleach, etc. w/o literally losing my breath.  I carried around epipen for those moments.  Seems my dx of "severe allergic asthma" went out the door when they poked a hole in my noggin.  Threw away the epipen three years ago.  Go figure!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Soundy

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 06:24:06 pm »
Smells still a bother ... Karen ,you turned out to be a lucky one as far as the nose goes..
Translab July 2 ,2007

Static

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 08:34:03 pm »
 Omg, I love the smell of gasoline  :)  I think I should've been a gas station attendant!
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2007, 06:58:02 am »
Omg, I love the smell of gasoline  :)  I think I should've been a gas station attendant!
8) I had a good out-loud laugh, thanks as it brought back very similar memories as a child!  This will get a "jump start" to my "after Thankgiving" meal.  I'm cooking for our son who arrives shortly as he worked on Thanksgiving in the ICU.  Spent most of yesterday cooking at my mom and dad's for the "family" meal.  I'll probably be pretty sick of turkey by end of day!
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear