Author Topic: 3.5 cm tumor, positive outcome  (Read 3624 times)

becknell

3.5 cm tumor, positive outcome
« on: September 01, 2005, 12:38:27 pm »
I really wanted to post this as SUPPORT for those who are awaiting their surgeries. As the wife of an AN patient, I know how difficult that is for patients and their families. My husband had a 3.5 cm An removed at Duke University on Aug. 22. We are very pleased with his outcome, as are his doctors. The tumor was very very stuck to the facial nerve and to the brain stem, so the surgery took 9.5 hours. He is doing well. Doctors told us they left a small thumbnail sized (without the thumb) piece along his facial nerve, because they had told us if it was very sticky, they would leave a small piece before they would compromise his facial function. We feel this was the right decision. We will follow up with radiosurgery if necessary, but it may not be. NO facial paralysis. Lost hearing in left ear and balance nerve, but balance is coming back well. Nine days post surgery, he is getting around house, up and down stairs and walking outside in the neighborhood. Yesterday he walked about a quarter mile down the street and back. Today took a shower by himself. Had a lot of nausea in hospital, but once he got off Rx pain meds, he felt much better. First week was the worst, after that it has been better each day. Now just taking Tylenol and Ibuprophen. He has been such a trooper - never complained, never whined. I had read so many horror stories about AN surgery and had been very scared - now I wish I hadn't done that. It didn't help and it didn't change anything, all it did was made the worry worse. If you are doing that, I'd just say, try NOT to do that. It doesn't help. He is back to being a dad (he's 45 and we have 2 school-age kids) and our life is slowly, slowly coming back. Yesterday he told me he was thinking about driving - maybe not yet, but soon. We were fortunate to have found an excellent institution and good doctors in the Carolinas. I'm glad we didn't fly cross country to L.A. - the three-hour trip was hard enough on us both. You can get through this. We have.  :) Jennifer

karcher

Re: 3.5 cm tumor, positive outcome
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2005, 02:44:30 pm »
Dear Jennifer,

I am very happy that things have worked out well for you and your husband.  I know that
you had been worried all summer about what to do and where to go for his treatment.
Can you tell me a little more about the medical staff that performed the surgery, and how you
contacted them?  I live in Charlotte, and am currently planning on going to L.A. in February
for translab on 1.5cm.  The main reason I am waiting is to change from an HMO to a PPO
at year end.  I had pretty much dismissed the physicians in N.C., because I had not
been able to confirm a wealth of experience in treating AN here.

Thanks, and wishing you continued successful recovery.
Keith

Jeanlea

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 07:11:58 pm »
Jennifer,

Thank you so much for your post.  It is exactly what I needed to see right now.  I am having a 3.5 cm tumor removed on September 6.  Although I'm not exactly afraid, I am a bit aprehensive after reading some of the posts.  It is nice that you also shared your husband's outcome.  It's good to hear that this surgery can also turn out well.  What kind of procedure did your husband have? Mine is going to be a translab.  I will also most likely lose the hearing in my left ear.  I am having my surgery done about 4 hours away from my house in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.  Everyone I've talked to said that the doctors at this hospital are great.  I even have a cousin that worked at this hospital in the past and she told me that my neurosurgeon is very good.  That is comforting to hear.

Once again, I'm happy to hear that it all worked out so well for your husband. I'm sure he has appreciated your support through all of this. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

amoore9334

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 08:13:33 am »
Hi Jennifer - GREAT to read your posts - have benn thinking about you guys a lot as you have been so helpful in my situation.  I'm sure you are relieved and you can hopefully relax a bit now!!!  When you get time, shoot me an e-mail.  Made the trip to Raleigh this week and am very impressed with what we found out.  Looks like we'll end up there with Drs. McElveen, Cunningham & Fukushima sometime in November!

JHager

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 11:41:04 am »
Hi!

Thanks so much for your post.  I'll be having my ~3cm AN removed in November, and this is just what I wanted to hear!  My surgeon is doing the exact same procedure, possibly leaving a section of the really sticky part.  So, I was glad to hear your husband is doing well.

Thanks!

Josh
3.5 cm right AN.  Surgery 11/7/05, modified translab.  As recovered as I'd ever hoped to be.

cookiesecond

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 10:37:05 pm »
karcher,
I am from conway Sc and I also had my surgery at Duke health Raliegh with Drs Cunningham,McElveen and Fukushima. They used the translab approach and removed a 3 cm An.I did not lose my facial nerve. People travel from many places to have surgery with this team.  Cunningham was my admitting physician and he is the best! we like all three doctors we just spent more time with cunningham.Mcelveen used to work at House and Cunningham studied there. Fukushima is one of the top neurosurgeons.
Lynn