Author Topic: Movement...major yippie, skippie  (Read 4932 times)

jan pentecost

Movement...major yippie, skippie
« on: August 27, 2005, 12:40:37 pm »
I haven't been here in quite awhile. I actually went through some pretty good depression. I had my AN on the left side removed on May 3rd. Doc was disappointed with my facial paralysis...hoped I wouldn't have any.
Well, as you can guess, total left-sided paralysis. I started getting some twitches but they went away. My dry eye has been more than driving me crazy....am scheduled for a gold bar on Sept 26.
On Monday, I woke up and noticed that the left corner of my mouth was NOT drooping BUT I could make myself smile a bit. I had voluntary control of some part of my left facial side for the first time since before the surgery.
To say that has made me feel most wonderful and hopeful again is an understatement. NOW...the left corner of my mouth is ever so slightly always turned up. I am just scared I'll wake up looking like the Joker with a smile plastered across my face...a hyper smile....I guess we have to be careful what we wish for.
My question for those of you who have recovered your facial paralysis...tell me your recovery experiences....I guess I am hopeful things will move along now. My nerve conduction studies show all my nerves are 100% intact.
I am also starting to blink my left eye but I don't notice it. Others have told me...Jan, you just blinked your left eye...can't you feel that?
Need to hear your experienced...strength and hope.
Thanks muchly

jan
1.7 cm Left Side
May 3, 2005
Dr. R. Sterling Hodgson
Legacy Emaunuel Hospital
Portland, Oregon

matti

Re: Movement...major yippie, skippie
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 04:00:26 pm »
Hi Jan,

Congratulations! Hooray! Yippie! way to go!

I too had facial paralysis on my left side and like you, hoped I would not have any. I started noticing slight movement at the corner of my mouth about 2 1/2 months after surgery. It just sort of magically happened one afternoon and I must have called everyone I knew to tell them beacuse I was soooo excited. People would also tell me that I was blinking and my response was, " I am?". The corner of my mouth did turn up just a bit, but that only lasted for about a week or so and then I started to notice slight improvements almost on a daily basis. My face was back to about 85% within 7 months and that is where I have stayed 7 years later.  When I say 85%, I still have the dry eye, stiffness in my left cheek, when I blink, the corner of my mouth ever so slighly turns up (my husband thinks its really cute and flirtatious). Also, when I eat or drink, my eye tends to close halfway. None of these are major problems and I have fully gotten used to them.

From my experience it sounds like things are beginning to wake-up for you. Keep us posted!

matti

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Terri

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 10:09:34 pm »
I am 1 year and 11 months post-op and still recovering. My facial nerve was reported intact after surgery, but I had complete facial paralysis on the right. It took 6 months until I felt the slight upturn you describe at the corner of your mouth. I noticed I could move it one morning when I woke up, and I was thrilled!

I have been recovering at an exceedingly slow pace. Little by little, I have been regaining the ability to move the right side of my face. I went to see an excellent facial neuromuscular therapist this month (for the first time), and she evaluated my reovery at about 37%. She detected good levels of nerve impulses using EMG. She prescribed daily exercises for me to regain normal function, and I can already see and feel the difference.
2.2cm AN
Translab 9/30/03
Mark Ercius & Michael Fucci

Goldineye

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 09:26:51 pm »
Terry, What are some of the exersises your therapist recommended for you? I also went to a therapist and were given exersises Along with Bio feed back EMG. Did you get the Bio feed back emg unit to use at home? Just wondering . Let me know I want my face to come back too. I am feeling depressed over it. I feel like this is the best it will look. I did come a long way but still can't move left side or raise forehead. My facial nerve was severed and then reattached. Well keep in touch . I also have an email address if you want to use that. Thanks.... Goldineye
Lori
3.5cm removed April7,2004
N.Y.U, New York

Judy M

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 11:12:16 pm »
Hello - I had AN surgery on February 9 - 2005 -  I have paralysis on the right side of my face.  I am still experiencing dry eye - no blinking - cannot raise the right side of my mouth to smile.  I was told that when they checked my facial nerve after surgery that every thing should return to normal, soon.  I am taking an antidepressant to deal with depression - resigned from my job with the school district.  Occassionally my eye will begin to water, but mostly very dry.  I still have difficulty drinking from a glass, so I use a straw.  My thumbs are numb when I awaken each morning - I am taking iron and b-12 supplements.  Has anyone else had problems like these.  I still get very tired and dizzy if I turn to quickly.  My vision is impaired because of the dry eye. :-\ :-\

kristin

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 06:51:23 am »
Hi Jan,
Have you been to the optometrist regarding your dry eye? I had plugs put in my tear ducts because of my dry eye following my surgery in April. It was like a dream!! After awhile though, the eye started getting really goopy and almost too wet. Then one of the plugs fell out and it felt like someone was using sandpaper on my eye! So I went back to the eye doc and rather than put in another plug, which would just cause more goopiness, he prescribed me a new eye drop called Restasis.  I've only been using it for less than a week, but it seems to be working rather well.  You put one drop in each eye twice a day and it's supposed to encourage your own tear production.  If you haven't been to they eye doc, you should, dry eye can be very damaging to your cornea. 
Kristin
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

russ

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 03:32:13 pm »
Hi Jan
  I've read of improvement in facial function for 2 years. Please stay excited and hopeful.
  Nice to read your post of small beginnings!!
  Russ

jan pentecost

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 04:31:10 pm »
I have tried the Restasis for almost three weeks without any changes...except burning wneh I put the drops in. So I have stopped using them.
I tried a temp. plug and had no tears...doc feels I may not be producing any tears at all on my left side. The dry eye is the hardest to deal with....I am planning a gold bar at the end of next month to help facilitate closing.....but I guess I am blinking a bit...which I knew what others can see.
I guess the other thing that really bothers me is the huge bag under my left eye..especially when I am tired, at the end of the day...or when I first wake up. Want to poke it with a pin and deflat it but I do know that won't help.
I am going to talk with my doc about nerve therapy. AM intriqued to read what some of you have written about it.
Has anyone tried acupuncture???
1.7 cm Left Side
May 3, 2005
Dr. R. Sterling Hodgson
Legacy Emaunuel Hospital
Portland, Oregon

luv2teachsped

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 06:19:34 pm »
Hi everyone-  I had surgery on May 18th and also have a very dry eye and cannot wear my contacts anymore.  I'm curious, as many of you have said you have had plugs put in your ducts as well as using restatis.  My Dr. said neither would help, since I had no tears and it was caused by the trauma of the tumor.um...I also use a lot of drops and lubricant at night.  My eye is still very scratchy, blurred vison and sometimes just plain painful.  But not having your eye monitored by  an eye Dr. could lead to an ulcerated cornea, which is very painful!  luv2teach
3cmx3cm/translab 5/05
University of Michigan
Dr.Telian and Dr.Thompson

BAHA implant-4/07, processor on 8/07

kristin

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 09:03:49 pm »
hmmm...that sounds a little funky to me that neither the plugs or restasis would help. when i had the test for tears in my eye, my left eye was under 2 (normal is over 10-15). and it made a world of difference once i got the plugs. also, restasis is supposed to help you produce more tears, so i don't know how it could hurt. if you have insurance you might want to at least try the plugs. they are not permanent and you for sure have a medical dx of dry eye, so you don't need vision coverage, just medical coverage.
8 x 5 mm Left Acoustic Neuroma
Middle Fossa
House Ear Clinic
Dr. Derald Brackmann, Dr. William Hitselberger
April 14, 2005

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have troubles. But take heart! I have overcome the world." John 16:33

Mary 117

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 12:00:17 pm »
Hi. The dry eye is a real bummer. I can deal with the half smile but looking at the world with sore eyes is tough. My eye Doc. actually has me wear a contact to protect the nerves from the environment. It seemed wrong to put in a contact when my eye hurts so much bu it really helps with the discomfort for me. I had the plugs put in and use the drops a lot and everything seems to be going ok. It is slowly getting better. The smoke from the forest fires we are having now don't help and I can't imagine how it would be to live in a city with air quality issues.

This site is such a great help and I think we are so lucky to have such an outlet. Good luck.
Mary
Middlefossa surgery, May 24, 2005
2cm x 1.5cm AN, Middle Fossa, Dr. Brackmann  05/24/05
Mild hearing loss, mild facial weakness, no balance issues

"well behaved women seldom make history"

Terri

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2005, 10:28:26 pm »
Lori, Sorry to be late responding to your question about what facial exercises I'm doing. I spend 20 - 40 minutes a day doing a series of exercises to improve the muscle function in my face. I hold each exercise for about 20 seconds at a time, and I do all of them under a bright light while looking in the mirror. It's important to get the form right. I concentrate just on each individual muscle group and try to keep from using muscles that are not supposed to be working in that particular excercise.

Here are the ones I do: 1) eye closure: I put my hand over my left (good) eye, hold a pencil or other object so I have to look down at it, and concentrate on closing my nonblinking eye. Focusing on the pencil keeps my eye from rolling up (Bell's phenomenon). I'm starting to see my right eyelashes, since my eyelid has strengthened! 2) Nose flare: I try to flare my nostrils and hold them open. That, too, is improving after one month. 3) Upper crease: I concentrate on the muscles in my cheek which pull my upper lip up, at the same time trying not to use other muscles. 4) Snarl: just like it sounds. I try to wrinkle my nose and expose my upper teeth. 5) Lip pucker: Like getting ready to kiss the mirror. 6) Lip contraction: This one's hard to describe. You open your mouth into a small "O" and try to pull your lips in over your teeth. 7) Exposing teeth: I purse my lips outward trying to expose the upper and lower teeth on both sides. 8) Pout: I stick my lower lip out.

I highly recommend seeing a facial neuromuscular therapist, since these exercises were recommended based on my particular condition and state of recovery. When I go back for my next follow up in 5 months, I expect my therapist will revise these exercises, based on what I need then. You also don't need an EMG machine at home to do these. In fact, gluing those pads to your skin would be a major nuisance. The EMG machine is great in the therapists' office for helping you see what's working and where you are getting improvement, but it's not necessary between visits. Hope that helps.
2.2cm AN
Translab 9/30/03
Mark Ercius & Michael Fucci