Author Topic: Less than 2 weeks  (Read 6147 times)

amandab

• 4.5 mm on left side diagnosed 3/1/07 and waiting
Less than 2 weeks
« on: August 01, 2007, 10:54:36 am »
i am 29 and was diagnosed with a 4.5 mm an on march 1. i have sort of been ignoring it and minimizing it since then rather than dealing with the fact that it's there. my follow up mri is scheduled for 8/6 and then the appointment with my dr to discuss the results is 8/13. umm...i'm freaking out. i'm having trouble sleeping and even more trouble focusing when i'm at work. my general dr put me on anti-anxiety medication 2.5 weeks ago and i'm not sure it's helping. i haven't decided if i am hoping that it changed so i can have it removed and not worry about it anymore, or if i want it to have stayed the same so i can avoid surgery. i guess my main concern is that i'm being a baby and that people like my boss will think i'm making a big deal out of something that's not...

Betsy

Re: Less than 2 weeks
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 06:23:00 pm »
Hi Amanda,

No, you're not being a baby, far from it.  You have a brain tumor that must be monitored closely and dealt with when the time comes.  That is NOT insignificant.  If you're in the US and work for a large enough employer, you may qualify for FMLA status.  That allows you to take up to 12 weeks per year off (unpaid unless you have that much sick time saved up) due to a serious medical condition (consecutive or intermittent days). Of course, there's a pile of paperwork you and your doctor would have to do, and it won't stop your boss from being insensitive, but it will help protect your job and you might sleep better.  Check with your HR or benefits office.

I understand your mixed feelings.  I felt the same way and it was the root of most of my anxiety.  Once I made the decision to move forward with treatment, my anxiety started to let up.  I wanted to wait and watch, but it's just not right for me.

Will be thinking of you on the 13th.  Please let us know how it goes.

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

tsl

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 10:21:21 am »
i am 29 and was diagnosed with a 4.5 mm an on march 1. i have sort of been ignoring it and minimizing it since then rather than dealing with the fact that it's there. my follow up mri is scheduled for 8/6 and then the appointment with my dr to discuss the results is 8/13. umm...i'm freaking out. i'm having trouble sleeping and even more trouble focusing when i'm at work. my general dr put me on anti-anxiety medication 2.5 weeks ago and i'm not sure it's helping. i haven't decided if i am hoping that it changed so i can have it removed and not worry about it anymore, or if i want it to have stayed the same so i can avoid surgery. i guess my main concern is that i'm being a baby and that people like my boss will think i'm making a big deal out of something that's not...

Hi Amanda,
You are so not being a baby!  I'm almost twice your age and was diagnosed in Dec 2006.  In the beginning I also had to go on anti-anxiety medication (Zanax--not sure of the spelling-- helped give me some immediate relief; some meds take several weeks to kick in) and even sleep medication for horrible insomnia. (Ambien didn't help; Restoril saved me.)  Talking with a therapist also greatly helped.  I think the freaking out phase is very normal.  The meds enabled me to focus so that I could deal with my diagnosis; the therapist gave me the professional guidance that I needed to deal with my fears.  The support of my friends, family, and the FANTASTIC people on this site saved me from a total meltdown.  Enough about me.  I just wanted to reassure you that your feelings/reactions are okay.

You'll learn a lot from people willing to share their experiences.  If you haven't already done so, you should join the ANA.  They'll send you helpful informational booklets plus a listing of people and their phone nos. and email addresses who are willing to talk with you.  Big source of help.
Take care,
Theresa
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 10:27:26 am by tsl »
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Approx. size 9 x 6  x 4 mm
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007

comfortzone

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 06:24:38 pm »
Hi Amanda!

You are not alone! My follow up MRI is tomorrow and I have been steadily getting more anxious as the days and weeks go by. I am also on anti-anxiety meds that are working, plus i have found that massage, pedicures, basically anything to pamper myself helps to make me feel better. I am 40 years old and going to stay at my parents tonight so my Mom can take me to the MRI appointment...if that's not being a baby I don't know what is! I have very much the same feelings as you, hope it hasn't grown but maybe treatment would be ok. I have taken a bit of time off work (luckily I had some time to take and an understanding boss) as I was worried about screwing up and it has helped not to have the added pressure on as the test gets closer.

Anyway my thoughts are with you and I hope that you feel better reading this site - I know it has helped me many times!

Regards,

Corinne
8 mm left side AN Retrosigmoid surgery with Dr Akagami at Vancouver General Hospital April 3, 2014 SSD

pearchica

• Hey!
    • Political Chic Chat- an Independent Political Cocktail for Women
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 10:42:45 pm »
Amanda- good luck and keep up the faith. I think it's a good thing that you are dealing with your anxiety and yeah, having a tumor doesn't help.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  Annie
Annie MMM MY Shwannoma (sung to the son My Sharona by the Knack-1979)
I have a TUMAH (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) 2.4 x 2.2 x 1.9CM. CK Treatment 2/7-2/9/07, Stanford- Dr. Stephen Chang, Dr. Scott Soltys

amandab

• 4.5 mm on left side diagnosed 3/1/07 and waiting
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 06:39:29 pm »
thanks so much everybody. i had the mri on monday and immediately felt better once it was over. reading all of your posts has helped alot, and i sat down with my boss on tuesday and had a long talk about how this is affecting me. he was really understanding and agreed to scale back on my responsibilities for the rest of the year until i can get a handle on things.

Desilu

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 07:11:11 am »
Hi Amanda,

So glad to hear that your boss was sensitive to your health issues. I'm sure that has taken a load off of your mind. Try to keep a positive attitude and know that we are here for you if you need us. I wish you the best on the 13th.  Ann
HEI July 26, 2005
5mm X 8mm Left AN
Middle Fossa
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger